The ol' 4x12 vs 2x12 debate

What do you prefer

• Total voters

bmcisaac

Hey guys! Just wanted to pick your guys brains on a debate my bass player and I are having.

He argues that 4x12's sound clearer and are better for gigging considering that 2x12 would be too quite (not moving enough air).

I can see his argument, but never really heard a drastic enough difference to really justify the effort to carry around a cabinet that is near impossible to move unless you have a van or truck. I already own a Orange PPC 2x12 with V30's. Was considering Mesa Vertical 2x12 because it also had v30's/slant or a Port City OS wave 2x12 with veteran 30's.

First thing to ask yourself - what suits your music best? For big, bombastic stuff, sure, a 4x12 is the ticket. For other styles, maybe not. Etc.

4x12s are cool sounding while I had my Marshall I liked my 6 x12 setup :)
with my PRS and or Mesa I like the 2x12 and if I need more I add a second 2 x12 just seems a bit fuller with the bigger cabs for me

My friend uses a 1x12 for gigging standard pub-sized gigs. I define this as: vocals, guitars, and basses are amped to be as loud as the drummer. :) And no, he's not miking the amp, the sound he hears is the sound the audience hears.

His bassist (I just saw them several hours ago) uses two 2x10 cabs. Basses are different, so I can see why you two may disagree.

A 4x10 is a nice compromise for a guitarist that needs to move more air (like, for example, a 7-string player, or one who djents). I love those (I have two 4x10 combos and two 4x10 cabs). I only have my two 2x12s because they're purple.

Last edited:
2x12's are more practical, BUT there is NOTHING like the sound and feeling of a few 4x12's blasting away. Side by side and not stacked for me. :)

I play in a punk band and I listen to post hardcore/metal

My son is in a punk/pop band, here's a video with one of their tunes. The guitar tracks were cut with a '63 Fender Vibro-verb, with two 10" speakers, so clearly you can use just about anything to get some pretty distorted punky tones, though I'd personally choose a 4x12 for heavier metal stuff.

As always, everything depends on the particular vibe you're going for, right?

They have another track with video on YouTube that is much heavier, also cut with the Vibro-verb cranked, but it has...um..."language" that might be frowned on here. ;)

Last edited:
To me, the 4x12 brings a transient low thump that you can't get with a smaller cab. It probably has a little better dispersion, but I haven't really tested that aspect. You'll definitely hear it with low-string rhythm muting.

There is definitely a difference, but cab design has a lot to do with it as well. I love my 2x12 because it is possible to gig with it, where a 4x12 would be impossible for me. Would I prefer the 4x12? Probably, by a slight margin. Then again, two 2x12 cabs is a great option as well.

I played a Bogner oversized closed back 2x12 against a Mesa 4x12 and the Bogner had more low end, but the Mesa was tighter and punchier. Open back is a totally different deal from closed. I had a partial-open 4x10 that gave a pretty reasonable approximation of a 4x12, but it didn't have quite the punch. My RA2x12 has a decent combination of lows plus punch due to the porting, but with the right amp (like my Archon) my recto vertical 2x12 has TONS of punch and plenty of lows. If I ran it through a 4x12 I'd likely have to roll off the lows a little.

Nothing really beats a 4x12 for "moving air". I wouldn't say it's clearer. It sounds "bigger" and more full. A 4x12 on wheels is going to be easier to move than your Orange 2x12 assuming it doesn't have casters(like all Orange cabs). You'll likely hear yourself better with a 4x12 given you have 2 speakers that much closer to your head. There is the space thing though. I've always had vehicles that a 4x12 will fit in. The vert 2x12 is a nice compromise between the 2. I've always used a 4x12 or 2 with my bands. Currently one 4x12 and one 2x12 on top of it.

There are plenty of bands who use 2x12's though, it's all personal taste. Nothing says rock like a 4x12 though.

I answered 4x12 because that's what I'd prefer. However, in all practicality, I use a square Laney 2x12 with the speakers mounted diagonally from each other. I put V30s in it, and it sounds great.

Ya all great points! At the end of the day I know that I couldn't even move a 4x12 with the rest of my gear. I suppose I could rely on someone else to help out, but that's stuff gets wrecked/stolen

I have owned both. I am an old man who hates heavy stuff.

With that said I sold my PRS 2X12 and own 2 4X12's and 1 1X12.

Logic: The 4X sounds sooooo good as compared to the 2X. They both took up about the same floor space. I still preferred not to lift the 2X on my own. The 4X has wheels and the handles are REALLY set up ergonomically, even with the help of my wife its easy to move up and down stairs.

If I really want portability I use a 1X12 cab that has the same speaker as my 4X. I converted it to a closed back cab and it really boogies.

Bottom line for me is - Go Really Big or Really Small.

In the venues I play, nothing says "I hardly ever practice" like a couple 4x12s and a refrigerator-sized rack.

You should hear what they say when I start playing with my 212 and no rack!

"Who let that fossil in?" "My two year old can play better than that guy." "Eeewww! You call that a guitar player?" "The dude sucks!" "I feel bad for an old dude like that who can't play any more."

I show up just to piss 'em all off. ;)

There are generalities that are easy to make, but there are really crummy 4x12s out there, and really great 2x12s, and the really great 2x12 will always sound better than a really crummy 4x12. I've had a few 4x12s and a few 2x12s over the years and have sort of gone back and forth. These days my 2x12 gets all the work and my 4x12 has sat unused in the garage for 2 years.

I'm with you Les, but take a much more audience friendly approach. When I gig, I take my smallest amp, usually my Roland Micro Cube. Then the audience goes "I think that guy sucks but I can't really hear him." o_O

Back