The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

You have to zoom in, but you can see it here in my pic. Just posted it so you’d see it sooner.

https://instagram.com/p/Bj-aSz1l6Wc/

Thanks for the pic!

I'm just wondering, though, what that additional strip could possibly do other than maybe connecting the lower pickup screws to ground. Those screws do nothing on the pickup other than mount it and provide height adjustment. Very curious.

Alan, your Instagram photos don’t show for iPad users...

I'd try it, but I think it would just go to Instagram on mine, so it's not a good test. That was just a stopgap because I was at work (and I 'm having one of those 'I need a new position' periods). But in just a few minutes (depending on how fast this computer works w/everything I've got loaded), I'll have a much better version posted here.

Thanks for the pic!

I'm just wondering, though, what that additional strip could possibly do other than maybe connecting the lower pickup screws to ground. Those screws do nothing on the pickup other than mount it and provide height adjustment. Very curious.

Static can build on a pickguard. It builds up a charge that's gotta go somewhere. The screws are conductive, so when you touch it, your body completes the circuit (Ever seen The Matrix? We're just organic batteries. :p) and makes a pop, which gets picked up by the pickups. The shielding strips connect to the foil shield for the pots, which is grounded. So that means when you complete that circuit, the charge will hop on to those foil shields and head straight for ground instead of making noise for the pickups.

I think it's similar to how a lightning rod catches the charge and sends it to ground rather through a building's mains power.

Here's a better version of the Silver Sky innards (I just can't call it an SS).

SSInnards.jpg

Strictly a guess here, but I’d bet it’s to help keep the cost down. The scarf joint uses less wood, and it’s a pretty significant amount. I don’t know for sure, but based in the neck blanks I saw at previous Experiences, the neck blanks for the S2 necks looked to be a little over half the size of a core neck blank, so it’s almost double the necks for the same amount of wood. Much less wasted, too.

If you remember the people whining over the scarf joint on the S2 series, it was noted to be a cost savings measure. And you are correct that most people who use one claim it can cut a neck blank down to almost half the thickness, thus the wood goes farther.

And I’ll repeat my usual disclaimer. First, the glue is stronger than the wood. Second, if it’s good enough for Paul Reed Smith and Bob Taylor, it’s good enough, PERIOD!

Yay Daves back!:D
Just got back from practise.
I took the Silver Sky, and my venerable P22 rosewood.
I had a jones to play some humbuckers because I haven't touched a humbucker guitar since acquiring the Silver Sky.
I offered my lead player to use the SS all night long if he wanted. He jumped at it like a fat kid on a donut. Man... that thing cuts like a knife through the mix. He's a guy who loves gritty high output humbucker pups, but this Silver Sky was an eye opener for him... hell ALL of us!
He played it all night long. Halfway through I became jealous of my own guitar... Bwahahahahahaha!!!:eek::D
The only knock he had on it was that his finger popped off the fretboard a few times because of the way he bends/neck width. That being said, he is in love with the neck feel/size, the overall comfy play and weight, the tone especially. Also the flame on the neck on mine has him spellbound. I'll admit, looking down at that neck whilst playing is joyous.
Frickin' LOVE that guitar!
And no... he ain't gettin' it!:p

I played the Silver Sky at Experience. I went into the event wanting to love this guitar; however, as a long-time Strat and Super Strat guitar player, it and I did not get along. I have big hands, and that neck is just too much for me when combined with a 7.25" radius and smaller fret wire. Add in the fact that the guitar ships from the factory with 10s, and it was a "no, just no" experience for me. Tens just do not feel right on a 25.5" scale instrument. The tension is too much for me when combined with that itty-bitty radius. That is nothing a setup for 9s will not fix; however, nothing is going to fix what I feel is too much shoulder except re-carving the neck profile. The neck is fine thickness-wise. It just needs slimmer shoulders for my style of playing. One thing that concerns me about the Silver Sky is that the necks that I saw in production were flatsawn. I have never seen anything other than quartersawn maple on a PRS guitar. The beauty of quartersawn wood is its dimensional stability. I know that Leo used whatever clear maple he could obtain on vintage Strats, but Leo was a bean counter who looked for ways to shave costs. Flatsawn maple is cheaper than quartersawn maple.

With that said, the sleeper for me was the Vela. I have been out of the new product loop for a couple of years; therefore, I had not played any new PRS models until Experience. Wow, that guitar has its own vibe, but what I really like about the instrument is its weight and how it feels in your arms. I would like to see PRS offer a special run of this guitar shape and neck with a PRS trem, an HFS in the treble position, and a DeArmond-style pickup in the neck. That would be a smoking guitar. I would part with my McCarty 58 for that instrument. The PRS old regular neck profile on which the pattern regular neck is based is still my favorite.

I noticed something last night that I didn't expect - the case for the Silver Sky is a couple inches longer than the cases for my PS and my 594 SC. I had not noticed that before.

I played the Silver Sky at Experience. I went into the event wanting to love this guitar; however, as a long-time Strat and Super Strat guitar player, it and I did not get along. I have big hands, and that neck is just too much for me when combined with a 7.25" radius and smaller fret wire. Add in the fact that the guitar ships from the factory with 10s, and it was a "no, just no" experience for me. Tens just do not feel right on a 25.5" scale instrument. The tension is too much for me when combined with that itty-bitty radius. That is nothing a setup for 9s will not fix; however, nothing is going to fix what I feel is too much shoulder except re-carving the neck profile. The neck is fine thickness-wise. It just needs slimmer shoulders for my style of playing. One thing that concerns me about the Silver Sky is that the necks that I saw in production were flatsawn. I have never seen anything other than quartersawn maple on a PRS guitar. The beauty of quartersawn wood is its dimensional stability. I know that Leo used whatever clear maple he could obtain on vintage Strats, but Leo was a bean counter who looked for ways to shave costs. Flatsawn maple is cheaper than quartersawn maple.

With that said, the sleeper for me was the Vela. I have been out of the new product loop for a couple of years; therefore, I had not played any new PRS models until Experience. Wow, that guitar has its own vibe, but what I really like about the instrument is its weight and how it feels in your arms. I would like to see PRS offer a special run of this guitar shape and neck with a PRS trem, an HFS in the treble position, and a DeArmond-style pickup in the neck. That would be a smoking guitar. I would part with my McCarty 58 for that instrument. The PRS old regular neck profile on which the pattern regular neck is based is still my favorite.
I thought I read somewhere that flatsawn was less of an issue with maple necks, and that it takes varying gauges of strings better (ie light). I forget where I read it, and I don't build guitars.
I do trust in what Paul specs and builds though. What do I know...???

I noticed something last night that I didn't expect - the case for the Silver Sky is a couple inches longer than the cases for my PS and my 594 SC. I had not noticed that before.
My 594 case is noticeably shorter than my Fender case (use it for both my strat and tele as I can't imagine ever needing to have both in a case at once). Not a couple inches, but they live next to each other in the basement, and the Fender case is definitely longer. Maybe the 3/4 inch difference in the scale length has something to do with it. Really weird, man, but I do NOT find the longer scale in any way harder or needing lighter strings or anything. They feel different, for sure, but not easier or harder - they just play sort of different. I like having both 25.5 and something in the neighborhood of 24.5 - 24.7 to reach for... I keep seeing people referring to needing lighter strings on longer scale guitars and I don't get it - I play 10s on everything.

-Ray

Back