The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I encountered this exact issue as well... but it didn't strike until I removed the plastic from the pick-guard cover. It's bad. The dealer has tried to remedy this with "shielding" and adding spacing washers to the pick-ups based on conversation with PRS, but this did not fix the problem for me. I'm hoping we can lock-down the root cause... because it's ruining my experience with this otherwise fine instrument.
Did you read the other following posts in this thread related to this? Try the dryer sheet trick. Worked for pretty much everyone who encountered the issue.

Did you read the other following posts in this thread related to this? Try the dryer sheet trick. Worked for pretty much everyone who encountered the issue.
I tried the dryer sheet... only worked very temporarily. Guitar Dealer, performed recommended remedy from PRS... but I tried it yesterday and still not resolved.

Here’s the proper cure for static on a plastic pickguard:

Also, technically speaking, a transducer converts the magnetic and microphonic energy into an electrical signal; therefore, the pickup is the transducer, not the pickguard, even if the pickguard is the cause of the signal.

The video posted earlier in this thread highlights some interesting issues. The person holding the guitar could create the static, but the person filming the video stated that he could not reproduce the static on the same guitar in the same environment. The issue has a lot of variables and is very dependent on the make up of the actual person. the pickguard is made of PVC, so it holds a negative charge. A dryer sheet will work to dissipate the static for the short term, or you can get a stat gun to positively charge the guitar.

Here is some interesting info on the subject: http://www.electrostatics.net/articles/static_build_up_on_people.htm

From the article:

There are a wide range of factors that can affect the amount of electrostatic charge that can build up as a voltage on personnel. Some common major factors include:

• The floor material and its electrical resistance, and resistance-to-ground

• Personnel footwear, especially the materials of the shoe sole and its electrical resistance

• Atmospheric humidity

• The manner in which a person walks, e.g. scuffing and friction of the shoes against the floor

• Actions of brushing against furniture, sitting and rising from seats
Static electric charges are separated whenever two materials make and break contact. This occurs with regularity between the shoe sole and floor material in walking action. Charge tries to dissipate and recombine where possible, but this cannot happen if it is prevented from moving by insulating materials. Charge builds up if the charge is generated faster than it can dissipate, and a high voltage can quickly result.

Shocks are felt by people when they touch a discharge path (e.g. metal frame or another person), if the voltage on their body exceeds about 4 kV (4000 V).

Charge generation is affected by the types of materials in contact. A guide to this is given in a triboelectric series.

More positive
Rabbit fur
Glass
Human hair
Polyamide (nylon
Wool
Fur
Silk
Aluminium
Paper
Cotton
Steel
Wood
Rubber
Acetate rayon
Polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP)
PET
PVC
Polyurethane
PTFE
More negative

I used to experience static problems on some (rare) situations on a customer PBX/phone system endpoint (phone).
A user would walk up to their ringing phone, pick it up and a spark would leap between the handset earpiece and the ear. Startling!
Often, the fix would be to go to Office Depot (or the like) and get a can of anti-static spray. Spraying lightly around the desk, and office chair took care of the problem.
I'm NOT SUGGESTING trying this on your guitar!!! Don't do that!
But, if you're a bedroom player, and/or always playing in the same place, try that out and see if it helps on the carpet and chair, etc.

The video posted earlier in this thread highlights some interesting issues. The person holding the guitar could create the static, but the person filming the video stated that he could not reproduce the static on the same guitar in the same environment. The issue has a lot of variables and is very dependent on the make up of the actual person. the pickguard is made of PVC, so it holds a negative charge. A dryer sheet will work to dissipate the static for the short term, or you can get a stat gun to positively charge the guitar.

Here is some interesting info on the subject: http://www.electrostatics.net/articles/static_build_up_on_people.htm

From the article:

There are a wide range of factors that can affect the amount of electrostatic charge that can build up as a voltage on personnel. Some common major factors include:

• The floor material and its electrical resistance, and resistance-to-ground

• Personnel footwear, especially the materials of the shoe sole and its electrical resistance

• Atmospheric humidity

• The manner in which a person walks, e.g. scuffing and friction of the shoes against the floor

• Actions of brushing against furniture, sitting and rising from seats
Static electric charges are separated whenever two materials make and break contact. This occurs with regularity between the shoe sole and floor material in walking action. Charge tries to dissipate and recombine where possible, but this cannot happen if it is prevented from moving by insulating materials. Charge builds up if the charge is generated faster than it can dissipate, and a high voltage can quickly result.

Shocks are felt by people when they touch a discharge path (e.g. metal frame or another person), if the voltage on their body exceeds about 4 kV (4000 V).

Charge generation is affected by the types of materials in contact. A guide to this is given in a triboelectric series.

More positive
Rabbit fur
Glass
Human hair
Polyamide (nylon
Wool
Fur
Silk
Aluminium
Paper
Cotton
Steel
Wood
Rubber
Acetate rayon
Polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP)
PET
PVC
Polyurethane
PTFE
More negative
So what you’re saying Shawn, is that a rabbit fur pick guard could be the way to go? ;)

Yeah I know, back to my corner!!:rolleyes:

Maybe we should take a poll and see if those who have experienced the static noise had also removed the plastic film, or conversely, if anyone who has experienced the static noise still has the plastic film on the pickguard.

Maybe we should take a poll and see if those who have experienced the static noise had also removed the plastic film, or conversely, if anyone who has experienced the static noise still has the plastic film on the pickguard.
Also their footwear and floor coverings.

And don’t forget if they’re wearing rabbit skin underwear!;)

Back