The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

A question to the silver sky owners.
How's your volume control acting? I can use the tone pots all the way and they do their job superb. Really useful tone range with a lot of great sounds at hand.
But the volume is only useful from 10 to around 7. Thereafter the guitar is more or less silent.
I saw a video where a guy used the volume control all the way and was able to get cleans from a high gain setting with just barely raisin' the volume. I am only using light crunch.

What's your experience?

How's your volume control acting? I can use the tone pots all the way and they do their job superb. Really useful tone range with a lot of great sounds at hand.
But the volume is only useful from 10 to around 7. Thereafter the guitar is more or less silent.
I saw a video where a guy used the volume control all the way and was able to get cleans from a high gain setting with just barely raisin' the volume. I am only using light crunch.

What's your experience?
I can clean up the sound until 1.5/10. Maybe try different settings or amp. The more preamp gain you have, the more useful the volume knob will be I guess. If you don't have enough preamp gain, maybe the output volume when you are below 7 is too low to be audible through your amp depending on your settings? Also, are you playing at bedroom level or at practice/gig level? Maybe cranking up the master volume of your amp might help as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Last edited:

What's your experience?
My personal experience is that the vol is wonderfully linear. I have my rig fairly hot, and cleans can start nice and jangly and roll up to fairly loud in a band setting. For my basic cleans I'd say I'm around 4-5 as a rhythm player.
Stepping up to crunchy and lead tones I still find the volume control to be linear. That being said, my lead tone was setup for a bridge humbucker and I should modify that. 4 on the lead tone is LOUD!
These pups are HOT!

Update! Hey all - Been busy and haven't been able to update yall on that video I posted with the extreme static thing...but the dryer sheet worked!! I did it once a few weeks ago and to date it has not returned! Thanks to all for the advice - Im LOVING this guitar!

145270-Chuck-Norris-Approves-Reverse-Gif.gif

Just picked up a Frost SS a few days ago. Im talking with Shawn and my dealer about exactly the same problem. Heres what I got so far:

Static whenever touching the pickguard between the pickups and the selector switch. Also between the selector switch and the tone knobs.
And not just a little but a very LOUD crackle but only when I drag my fingertip across the pickguard, not while i just touch it.This happens under all conditions with or without me holding
the strings with my fretting hand.
Replicated it on 2 different amps and in 2 different rooms with different guitar cables. Also replicated to day at the PRS dealer that I purchaced it.
Happens with solid state or tube amps.

Seems to get worse the longer the guitar is played.
My guitar tech could not replicate with his fingers...but i could :-0 (what does that mean lol?)
My daughter did it as well but it didnt crackle to the degree it does with me.

Ok so now figuring out what to do. Tech suggested going with full sheilding on the back of the pickguard and also the body cavity (which is left unfinished to allow the wood to breathe.

Shawn has been a great help and said they will ship it back to PRS and check it out for me (very cool)
Thing is ....what if it doesnt do it for them? If it cant be resolved (Ive never had this problem with any of my guitars and I have quite a few) then I have no choice to return it which would suck because its a freakin AWESOME guitar.

Just figured I throw out what I know about this issue so far maybe someone can figure this out.

I encountered this exact issue as well... but it didn't strike until I removed the plastic from the pick-guard cover. It's bad. The dealer has tried to remedy this with "shielding" and adding spacing washers to the pick-ups based on conversation with PRS, but this did not fix the problem for me. I'm hoping we can lock-down the root cause... because it's ruining my experience with this otherwise fine instrument.

Back