The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

For people in Europe who are looking for a Silver Sky in 'frost', with case!!! Dijkmans Muziek in the Netherlands will have one in stock in 3 weeks, which is still available!!

I'm telling you guys, it's static electricity. Try the dryer sheet trick and see if that helps. If you can, get a hygrometer and see what the humidity is in your space at home. Put one of those little humidi-pack things in the case or gig bag.

If you want to cut down on RF buzz, shield it. I don't think that will help the static issue, but I could be wrong on that. I live in the humid south and haven't had that problem.

I tried the dryer sheet and it's worked for now. How long does that typically last? I live in Virginia and it's not exactly dry here, so I'm hoping this won't be a reoccurring problem. Thanks for the recommendation.

colors I'd like to see:

1) mccarty burst
2) CAR
3) seafoam green
4) egyptian gold

I tried the dryer sheet and it's worked for now. How long does that typically last? I live in Virginia and it's not exactly dry here, so I'm hoping this won't be a reoccurring problem. Thanks for the recommendation.
Hard to say. It's been a couple of weeks and I did not have to do it again. Also, the relative humidity has increased significantly in the meantime (from 20% to 40-45%) and now we have warmer spring temperatures in Montreal. So static build up is less dramatic.
This being said, I am glad it worked for you. You can now fully enjoy your SS! :)

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to put my hand around the neck of a SS at the Dallas Guitar Show last weekend to check out the profile. Even if it wasn't a bolt-on, the profile wasn't for me. I've been spoiled by my Santana and DGT; they have 'the beef'...

Hello from Germany!

This is my first post in this forum and “of course“ it's all due to the Silver Sky.

I had a PRS 594 which was a good guitar. It had a finish problem which I first noticed at home. They offered me to send the guitar back and do the top again. Some might say that is great customer service but for me that's what I expect if I spend 4000 € on a product. Second issue was the sound. It sounded good when I did only play the 594 but as soon as I compared it to guitars from other brands the sound seemed a little dull / liveless. I did some research and found a lot of replies from other owners with the some observation. Some said that's normal and that's the PRS sound. I don't know. I didn't like it and sold the guitar.

So why do I tell you all this? I just want you to know that I do have experience with PRS. It's not the best and of course a very personel one. In the end I thought I was done with PRS.

Then I found out about the Silver Sky. I just recently aquired a Nash S63 Strat which is the best Strat I had so far, including Masterbuilds from a big brand.
I do have a lot of experience with different guitars and brands. My conclusion is that all companys are behaving in the same way. Including PRS. If a guitar is just not right or has some issues like finishing flaws it will be shipped anyways. These companys are not building guitars out of passion. Maybe they started this way but now it's all about the money. Once again including PRS.

But now there is a Silver Sky on it's way to me. It will arrive tomorrow. First edition with case. I did not do any preorder. I was just lucky. Right time right place. I found the guitar online when the store just got it and ordered it right away. Just out of curiosity. I really want to know what it's all about. We are lucky in Europe because if you buy a product online without having it in hands before you can send it back within 14 days and get a full refund. So the purchase really was a no brainer for me.

Without having touched a Silver Sky before I can already tell you a few things. I totally dig the look. It looks fantastic. I like the reversed headstock, the birds, the smaller body shape, the horn, etc. It's the classic look taken to the next level. Welcome "Strat" in the 20th century!
I also do like the sound I hear from the youtube videos. But I also liked the sound from the 594 videos as well. We all know it's youtube and you can't really judge sound from these videos.
I did also notice some not so nice PRS work on some Silver Sky models. I checked a lot of pictures. There seems to be two problem areas. First the trussrod cover. Often it's not flush or the wood of the headstock around it has some marks / dents. Second area is the neck pocket. A lot of necks just sitt not tight in the pocket. Gaps to the sides or to the front where the neck meets the body. I also found one Silver Sky with a severe finish flaw. I did tell the seller. He had to take a look at the guitar and then confirmed it. It was the neck pocket again. The pocket part / wall facing the high e string side. The pocket end was chipped off and PRS tried to reshape it with some other material. It looked way off and there was a big color difference in the finish.
So nobody needs me to convince that PRS has a superb built quality better than other brands. Like said earlier it's just another guitar company with the same faults / flaws as other brands.

I will closely compare the Silver Sky to my Nash and let you know my honest thoughts about it!

Yup thanks for being honest. I have the same experience as well and that no brand is 100% perfect in 100% of their guitars. The better ones have a higher % of consistency.

Can't wait to hear your experience with the Silver Sky, especially after returning your 594.

Sorry for a change of topic but if there was just ONE thing I could change aesthetically... it would be the heel/end of fretboard area after the last fret. I like S-style guitars to have the curved kind and T-style ones to have the straighter edge ones. Just looks better to me, haha!
Then again, it doesn't affect anything and it still looks great as it is.

In case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:
neck-heel-shapes.jpg

Btw, I just got news that the first Silver Sky has arrived in my country..it's an Onyx one. Wonder how long more till i get my Tungsten!

At least one member posted that he returned his when he didn’t bond with it, so it’s already happening.

Not everyone will bond, and that’s ok.

Back