The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

You'll see in the link below that the pickup cavity and pickguard are not shielded.
https://www.thetonegeek.com/single-post/2018/03/22/PRS-Silver-Sky-Building-John-Mayers-Tone

According to this guy, it might be a design decision:
" I also agree with PRS engineers about their lack of shielding in the body cavity. I do believe adding shielding is a double edge sword. It will decrease interference, but also shifts the magnetic strength map around in crazy ways. The way PRS did it, is like the 60's strats and the open body approach is interesting and likely a design que from the historic Stratocasters. "

Then I guess this statement will polarize, a bit like tonewoods. :)

60s Strats had a full pickguard sized aluminium sheet sandwiched between the guitar body and pickguard, so I don't think that guy is entirely correct. However, I guess it's debatable how good aluminium is at shielding.

You'll see in the link below that the pickup cavity and pickguard are not shielded.
https://www.thetonegeek.com/single-post/2018/03/22/PRS-Silver-Sky-Building-John-Mayers-Tone

According to this guy, it might be a design decision:
" I also agree with PRS engineers about their lack of shielding in the body cavity. I do believe adding shielding is a double edge sword. It will decrease interference, but also shifts the magnetic strength map around in crazy ways. The way PRS did it, is like the 60's strats and the open body approach is interesting and likely a design que from the historic Stratocasters. "

Then I guess this statement will polarize, a bit like tonewoods. :)
Thanks man. Not sure what I'm going to do. Mine also does it when I rub up and down the neck. The pick guard static is pretty severe though.

Thanks man. Not sure what I'm going to do. Mine also does it when I rub up and down the neck. The pick guard static is pretty severe though.
Just picked up a Frost SS a few days ago. Im talking with Shawn and my dealer about exactly the same problem. Heres what I got so far:

Static whenever touching the pickguard between the pickups and the selector switch. Also between the selector switch and the tone knobs.
And not just a little but a very LOUD crackle but only when I drag my fingertip across the pickguard, not while i just touch it.This happens under all conditions with or without me holding
the strings with my fretting hand.
Replicated it on 2 different amps and in 2 different rooms with different guitar cables. Also replicated to day at the PRS dealer that I purchaced it.
Happens with solid state or tube amps.

Seems to get worse the longer the guitar is played.
My guitar tech could not replicate with his fingers...but i could :-0 (what does that mean lol?)
My daughter did it as well but it didnt crackle to the degree it does with me.

Ok so now figuring out what to do. Tech suggested going with full sheilding on the back of the pickguard and also the body cavity (which is left unfinished to allow the wood to breathe.

Shawn has been a great help and said they will ship it back to PRS and check it out for me (very cool)
Thing is ....what if it doesnt do it for them? If it cant be resolved (Ive never had this problem with any of my guitars and I have quite a few) then I have no choice to return it which would suck because its a freakin AWESOME guitar.

Just figured I throw out what I know about this issue so far maybe someone can figure this out.

I'm telling you guys, it's static electricity. Try the dryer sheet trick and see if that helps. If you can, get a hygrometer and see what the humidity is in your space at home. Put one of those little humidi-pack things in the case or gig bag.

If you want to cut down on RF buzz, shield it. I don't think that will help the static issue, but I could be wrong on that. I live in the humid south and haven't had that problem.

I'm telling you guys, it's static electricity. Try the dryer sheet trick and see if that helps. If you can, get a hygrometer and see what the humidity is in your space at home. Put one of those little humidi-pack things in the case or gig bag.

If you want to cut down on RF buzz, shield it. I don't think that will help the static issue, but I could be wrong on that. I live in the humid south and haven't had that problem.
I hear ya man. Ill give that a shot. My indoor weather thingy says its 48%humidity indoors. Remember it also did it at the guitar shop today. But here something...just a bit ago when it was really bad here at the house I asked my wife to do it and it wouldnt crackle for her....with her or me holding the guitar. But it did for me...so it must be me. yay.

Just got my Silver Sky today! Fender better take note. It sounds and feels gorgeous...better than any Fender I’ve played and I love my nitro AVRI. Paul and John hit a home run with the Silver Sky.
Awesome it is. I cant stop playing it, its so articulate and dimensional sounding. Straight into a 65 RI Princeton...my gawd the tone!

I hear ya man. Ill give that a shot. My indoor weather thingy says its 48%humidity indoors. Remember it also did it at the guitar shop today. But here something...just a bit ago when it was really bad here at the house I asked my wife to do it and it wouldnt crackle for her....with her or me holding the guitar. But it did for me...so it must be me. yay.

Has anyone ever told you that you have an electrifying personality? :p

Today i did a comparison between my strats and the Silver Sky with a little dirt on it. I used a ts10 and a blues breaker mk1 going though a by myself made 6L6 amp and a Two Rock SP50.

They all sound great, but the Silver Sky sounds soooo different. There is a high end chunky, beefy, harmonic vibe going on in that thing i can't get enough of.

I also like how all the pickups are so different and unique compared to each other, but at the same time, they also blend well together when i switch (pickup)positions.There is a lovely balance in the high's and low's between these pickups. With some of my guitars i avoid certain pickups because they're just not worth it going through the amp.

The 635JM's are a work of art. Nicely done Paul!

Last edited:
Today i did a comparison between my strats and the Silver Sky with a little dirt on it. I used a ts10 and a blues breaker mk1 going though a by myself made 6L6 amp and a Two Rock SP50.

They all sound great, but the Silver Sky sounds soooo different. There is a high end chucky, beefy, harmonic vibe going on in that thing i can't get enough of.

I also like how all the pickups are so different and unique compared to each other, but at the same time, they also blend well together when i switch (pickup)positions.There is a lovely balance in the high's and low's between these pickups. With some of my guitars i avoid certain pickups because they're just not worth it going through the amp.

The 635JM's are a work of art. Nicely done Paul!

You sir describe it PERFECTLY!! Amazing tones

If it’s static you’re having a problem with Mike, jump up off that stool and run around!;)

Groan!:D

Last edited:

Yea...damn my electrifying personality...maybe its the headscarf :p

The dryer sheet will get rid of that static on the pickguard. I am surprised your guitar tech seems clueless about it...

You might still get occasional static pops after the dryer sheet trick but nothing near that constant crackling thing shown in the video you posted.

In your case, maybe the clothes you wear or shoes might worsen the effect of the static vs the others who tried to replicate the pb?

Last edited:
Back