The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Not to continue the case madness...but maybe I can help end it.

My understanding is that any hardshell cases that may be available from PRS that fit the Silver Sky after the first 500 will not have the Silver Sky badge. Just regular black tolex, no badge.

@Shawn@PRS am I right on this one?

I believe this is correct Brian. Only the first 500 have a badge, the hard case available for seperate purchase will not have the badge.

I believe this is correct Brian. Only the first 500 have a badge, the hard case available for seperate purchase will not have the badge.
Some photos of the first 500 case

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

Sorry, a little blurry on the second

Hmmmm. Sounds “collectible” to me. ;)

I suppose there are different kinds of collectibles, and different kinds of collectors.

There are folks who invest only in historically significant pieces, proven to be desirable and valuable over time, like prewar Martins, 59 Bursts, the old D’Aquistos, early Strats, or even museum pieces like 17th century guitars, etc. I tend to think of folks who build these kinds of curated collections when I think of the term, ‘collector’. The Chinery or Steve Howe collections come to mind. But they aren’t the only kind, of course!

There are folks who accumulate newer, very nice items that may, or may not, prove to be significant to anyone but the individual collector, and there are folks who are everything in between.

If a brand new guitar is a collectible simply because it comes in a case with a plaque, by all means, more power to the collector who wants that. And I mean that in a positive, non-snarky way.

Last edited:
I suppose there are different kinds of collectibles, and different kinds of collectors.

There are folks who invest only in historically significant pieces, proven to be desirable and valuable over time, like prewar Martins, 59 Bursts, the old D’Aquistos, early Strats, or even museum pieces like 17th century guitars, etc. I tend to think of folks who build these kinds of curated collections when I think of the term, ‘collector’. The Chinery or Steve Howe collections come to mind. But they aren’t the only kind, of course!

There are folks who accumulate newer, very nice items that may, or may not, prove to be significant to anyone but the individual collector, and there are folks who are everything in between.

If a brand new guitar is a collectible simply because it comes in a case with a plaque, by all means, more power to the collector who wants that. And I mean that in a positive, non-snarky way.

It’s collectible if the collector wants it to be.

It’s collectible if the collector wants it to be.

Basically saying the same thing.

Though in that case, anything is a collectible, including the ones with a gig bag, if that’s what the collector wants it to be.

On a personal level, I have a few limited run PS models that I think of more as promotional in nature, than collectible. But then, too, as you know, I don’t collect things; I got ‘em because I liked ‘em.

Last edited:
Back