The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Ah sh!t. Guess I'll turn in my 'serious collector' card. :(

Really? Where?

Completely. Totally. Embarrassingly. Incorrect.

Drank a little extra Kool Aid before signing on? Your entire post is a bit rich, even for die-hard fanboys like me.

Serial numbers are sequential.

C’mon, Hans. PRS is going to make oodles of these things, and while it is true that the guitars are serialized, the cases are not, which was what I was talking about when I mentioned serial numbers.

The entire post was about the cases, in response to the member I quoted. With the ability to buy a SS case after the first 500 are gone, makes the cases quite a bit less collectible to me.

As for the guitars, while it is true that a collector may hunt for the lowest serial number possible on the guitars themselves, it isn’t even remotely the same as having the guitar labeled “#5 of 500”.

I have Sweet 16 amp number 5 or 6 off of the assembly line. (I’ll have to find my original post to be sure which.) That’s what I was told when I bought it at the amp’s unveiling at the factory. It’s signed by both Paul and Doug, but it isn’t distinguished by a “number 6” anywhere. Does that make it more collectible. I don’t think very much.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Not to continue the case madness...but maybe I can help end it.

My understanding is that any hardshell cases that may be available from PRS that fit the Silver Sky after the first 500 will not have the Silver Sky badge. Just regular black tolex, no badge.

@Shawn@PRS am I right on this one?

I love when strat users feel the need to explain away 60 cycle hum..."like someone breathing" hits the nail on the head!! It's just what single coils do...although ya gotta love 2 and 4.

I'm very very very surprised that Mayer opted to keep the hum in the guitar design. I watched his entire instagram post (very good, actually) and he stated he wanted to make a modern take on a classic design. Yet, keeps the hum. Ironic.

Not to continue the case madness...but maybe I can help end it.

My understanding is that any hardshell cases that may be available from PRS that fit the Silver Sky after the first 500 will not have the Silver Sky badge. Just regular black tolex, no badge.

@Shawn@PRS am I right on this one?

That, of course, would make all the difference...

In this post:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-official-silver-sky-thread.29556/page-3#post-376189

It seems to me that Shawn is saying the after 500 hard cases will have a badges. But I’ve been wrong before.

Last edited:
I'm very very very surprised that Mayer opted to keep the hum in the guitar design. I watched his entire instagram post (very good, actually) and he stated he wanted to make a modern take on a classic design. Yet, keeps the hum. Ironic.

Many have tried to keep single coil tone while eliminating the hum...to no avail...that I'm aware of, anyway...

Many have tried to keep single coil tone while eliminating the hum...to no avail...that I'm aware of, anyway...

I agree - if you want the tone of a single coil, you need the hum. It works as part of the tone, as far as I am concerned. While not a fan of the Strat, I love Esquires, Duo Sonics/Mustangs and plenty of other single coil loaded guitars. I am a regular user of Dynasonic equipped Gretsch guitars. Single coils just have a tone that can' be beat - if you want the tone, the hum is there. Good for Mayer and PRS for keeping it!!

I suppose that's true.

I've decided I'll grab one of these at some point. I might wait until the inevitable maple boarded version, but I'm now convinced. I can get used to the shorter frets, or have it re-fretted with larger SS.

I suppose that's true.

I've decided I'll grab one of these at some point. I might wait until the inevitable maple boarded version, but I'm now convinced. I can get used to the shorter frets, or have it re-fretted with larger SS.

Atta boy! Beers on me if you ever swing through Chicago.

I have to say, the Anderton's, Thomann's videos, and Mayer's Instagram ought to convince a lot of people. I know they took any doubt out of my mind.

The instagram video was great!!! Its also great to have someone like him and his stature to defend the brand.

That's a good point. Love him, hate him, or ride somewhere in between, you have to admit it's pretty cool that he does all of these Instagrams thingys. Not a lot of people with his level of fame doing it.

I don’t get it. This one’s going over my dense head.
This is the closest meme fun I could find to describe what I think JonW meant :p
de8c2983cf7a076463406fb555b43474.jpg

I agree - if you want the tone of a single coil, you need the hum. It works as part of the tone, as far as I am concerned. While not a fan of the Strat, I love Esquires, Duo Sonics/Mustangs and plenty of other single coil loaded guitars. I am a regular user of Dynasonic equipped Gretsch guitars. Single coils just have a tone that can' be beat - if you want the tone, the hum is there. Good for Mayer and PRS for keeping it!!

I suppose that's true.

Suhr + Ilitch have solved that issue.

Back