The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I've gone back and forth between having one electric and two. Never owned more than two, and mostly just had one. And when I've had two, I always s thought about getting back down to one and never about adding a third. So I think my stasis point is somewhere around one or 1.5. And now that I own THIS one, it's definitely gonna be one for a good long while at least.

I've been getting to know the coil split sounds in the last couple of days and I stuck a clean boost in front of my OD pedal to use when in split coil mode. Really evens out the volume and provides enough signal to get a similar amount of drive out of the OD pedal, so I can switch between humbucker and split coil without having to make a lot of adjustments - just hit the boost - different sounds but basically the same levels of volume and OD. Having those split coils very greatly increases the odds of staying with just one electric for quite a while.

-Ray

I use a boost with my 594s quite often, too. I switch between a Suhr KokoBoost and a recent acquisition, the Pettyjohn Lift. Sometimes I stack them with an overdrive, but with my amps I usually don’t have to. I use the guitar volume and tone controls a lot for setting dynamics and overdrive on my amps as well.

Enjoy that guitar, it’s a beauty!

This thread keeps popping up, so I felt compelled to share mine. Nearly a year old. Still....
GUAJIrA.jpg

Oooo. Very nice! Looks good in sitting that chair, too.

quote/
After it came in, I realized that it has an interesting one-piece top. Anyway, I love this guitar, and feel the same way about the Soapbar model. They sound fantastic, and play great. PRS knocked it out of the park with this model!

I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'

wow wow wow, it really does look like a boiling oil quilt top, Texas tea black gold.
the gold color, is just shimmering on the flame neck

play that black branch till blood is drippin off of it
it reminds me a lot of the Joe Perry Gibson boneyard simply gorgeous.

It’s not a fancy color, it’s Black Gold Burst, with a scraped binding.

My dealer ordered it as part of a run, and I snapped it up it the day it came in, because I was digging the Soapbar one I had, and because when I see a PRS in a Black Gold finish, apparently my brain melts (my 594 Soapbar is also Black Gold).

After it came in, I realized that it has an interesting one-piece top. Anyway, I love this guitar, and feel the same way about the Soapbar model. They sound fantastic, and play great. PRS knocked it out of the park with this model!

I should hasten to add that the green one you posted is to die for.

Here’s a shot of the maple neck humbucker 594 from my dealer’s post:

WLB0913-Y1_1_of_9__97878.1507924307.1280.1280.JPG

WLB0913-Y1_9_of_9__30454.1507924269.1280.1280.JPG

Call me weird but the first thing I noticed was just how well the amber knobs go with that top.

Berry sexy :)

Last edited:
Really, King? Then what about this?

The GAS king, yes. He doesn't collect them. He hangs on to a few at a time and as grausch pointed out the new one is always the best guitar ever until he finds the next one. Ever on the hunt.

I'm not speaking ill of Pete, though. He's a super cool guy. He was a major help in providing info on the 594 models and variations. A lot of people have gotten great deals on guitars from him secondhand.

The GAS king, yes. He doesn't collect them. He hangs on to a few at a time and as grausch pointed out the new one is always the best guitar ever until he finds the next one. Ever on the hunt.

I'm not speaking ill of Pete, though. He's a super cool guy. He was a major help in providing info on the 594 models and variations. A lot of people have gotten great deals on guitars from him secondhand.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the reason the 594s sell so well - reading his posts is enough for my credit card to wish it could go into the witness protection program. Not speaking ill of Pete, just envious...

Call me weird but the first thing I noticed was just how well the amber knobs go with that top.

Not weird at all. They really do!

What happens with me is that I get all excited about the looks at first, but once I get used to playing a guitar, it starts being about the sound and feel, and the looks recede into the background. Every so often, though, I step back and appreciate their beauty.

We are all so lucky to play art on every level!

Not weird at all. They really do!

What happens with me is that I get all excited about the looks at first, but once I get used to playing a guitar, it starts being about the sound and feel, and the looks recede into the background. Every so often, though, I step back and appreciate their beauty.

We are all so lucky to play art on every level!

Totally agree with the lucky part. My 594 isn't just a guitar, it's an emblem of how unbelievably fortunate I've been in this world.

I must admit my own vanity tho... as good as she feels and sounds, I'm still into her stunning good looks :)

Last edited:
Back