The Next Big Thing?

benh1972

I think Tash Sultana is going to be the next big thing.
It'll be a scramble between Fender & Gibson/Epiphone to sign her up for endorsement (if they haven't already), hopefully someone at PRS will have a word with her to consider them too.
Easily one of the most talented musicians around in this day & age!

http://www.tashsultana.com/

She sings like Billy Madison speaks but I dig the Ani DiFranco style. I'd imagine she'll be quite the performer once she finds her voice.

This is a good example of why I LOVE my Digitech Jamman. Live looping is sooo fun and creative. I also use it to make my own jam tracks.

She's pretty rad! I really like some of her guitar playing. I'd like to hear her with a band though... I'm not opposed to backing tracks or anything like that, just not crazy about the "looper" artists.

I toured with one of those guys a few years ago (Zack Deputy) and there's only so many of those kinds of songs I can take. They're all like, 7+ minute songs, with three minutes of building before it goes anywhere, no key changes, and lots of wanknin'. After the novelty of it all being one dude (or chick) up there wears off I'm left with the desire for them to "just get on with it" and play a 3:30 (min/sec) cohesive song.

I'm probably suffering from some sort of PTSD of hearing hours of that stuff for weeks though.

I have to agree with Serge that Loop music is fine for practice or busking, but man it is really really boring.
As for Tash Sultana, I don't hear anything special there. The reggae song on her site and electric guitar work are really uninteresting to me, although I searched around on Youtube and found her playing acoustic that sounded a great deal better. I think that should be her path because the electric playing and looping show me no great potential.

I like her energy. She's playing in the middle of the living room, but she's totally owning it! Even with mom peeking around the corner. Having said that, I agree with Sergio, looping is a novelty act IMO. Just give me a good three minute song, I don't need to see a 7 minute documentary on how it was built.

I totally get that she isn't everyone's cup of tea, & that she is using a lot of loops etc; but she's only 21, & already on a world tour.
Meanwhile plenty of us are in our 40's & either don't gig, or wouldn't have have the stamina for a tour.
I don't even attend gigs much anymore, much less plan on playing any, but I think Tash Sultana is at least as talented as Lorde, but much less overrated.
I totally agree though, if she can get a band together her music will only get better, & it will feed her creativity.
http://www.tashsultana.com/

I'm not opposed to backing tracks or anything like that, just not crazy about the "looper" artists.

Having said that, I agree with Sergio, looping is a novelty act IMO.

I'll just leave this here:

Yes, there's a 45 second "documentary" at the beginning showing her setting up, but it's still TIGHT.

^^^^ This is a cool song, but how much success has she had with looping since then? And how many other people are really successful as a looping artist? No offense to them, looping is a talent in and of itself, but I still believe it has limited applications.

I'd agree there Shawn, Looping can be good for putting stuff together, maybe even recording, but it's a means to an end, & if your'e only doing it on your own it doesn't really allow you to stretch out & go beyond your comfort zone the way that playing with other musicians can.
It does help train you for timing, layering, & other techniques that are traditionally used in the studio, but it can only take you so far.
I would think there would be few looping musicians that continue on their own long term with any success.
That said, there are plenty of bands out there known for using loops in their live sets, & some big names amongst them.
Not my favourite technique, but better than a backing track.

I'm feeling like a dinosaur. I'm in three bands just so I can play every week. I wish people could feel what it is to be in a band with other musicians who are pushing each other musically. It's pretty great.

I think looping in of itself can be expressive. To me, it's no different than when Robert Fripp and Brian Eno invented "Frippertronics" and created several groundbreaking albums. Granted, it's an acquired taste and definitely avant-garde but expressive nonetheless.

She's great, genuine... don't know how "big" she'll be though.

Looping limited???

My guitar is only limited by my ability and imagination. If I can add a second or third or fourth part - even more creativity. Now add drums - more creativity. Now add keys. Additional percussion. Vocals. Harmony.

She's pretty rad! I really like some of her guitar playing. I'd like to hear her with a band though... I'm not opposed to backing tracks or anything like that, just not crazy about the "looper" artists.

I toured with one of those guys a few years ago (Zack Deputy) and there's only so many of those kinds of songs I can take. They're all like, 7+ minute songs, with three minutes of building before it goes anywhere, no key changes, and lots of wanknin'. After the novelty of it all being one dude (or chick) up there wears off I'm left with the desire for them to "just get on with it" and play a 3:30 (min/sec) cohesive song.

I'm probably suffering from some sort of PTSD of hearing hours of that stuff for weeks though.

Yeah, I've seen Ed Sheeran play live a few times. Not my decision, but I wont say I didn't want to go. The guy is a very talented writer. But it's basically exactly what you're describing. Really cool the first few songs you hear but they are really limited by that song format. They cant ever start a song that hits hard right from the beginning. Well maybe, but he didn't.

Saw a very talented guy open up for Matthew Good a couple of months ago, and he did the looper thing too. Came away with the same observation as others here. Massive talent, but I sure wish he had a band.

Back