the new 408 ?!

I was at work today when my mind wandered, as it will, to thoughts of guitars. I started to think of the things I'd like to ask for in a PRS guitar: pattern thin neck, hot humbuckers with individual split coil switches for each pickup, mahagony body with a maple top and a sweet amethyst finish.

Then I surfed over to the PRS website and what did I see but a new model. TE 408 Maple Top literally ticks all the boxes. The 408 Maple Top is my dream guitar.

My only question is, does anyone know the MSRP for this beauty?

Funny thing, if they left it the same those owners would b&m about that.

Ron, I am going to b&m about something a little different...

Noone controls my wallet but me, but I paid $4K for a Siggy a few months back strictly because of the pickup system and the sound. As a consumer, I got burned by "early adopter syndrome" because now I have more options for what I have got to figure is a minimum of $1K savings. Do I love my artist-grade top, rosewood veneer, bound fretboard, sinker neck, blue-lined case...yes. Could I have done without those things to get the core of what I was looking for...yes.

OK, so putting things into perspective, it's not the first time, nor will it be the last, that I spend too much money on something that I will probably never get the full use out of. I am fortunate to be in the situation to purchase any of these fine instruments at all. But, as I have said before, judging by the pics floating around this forum, there are alot of members with alot more semi-disposable income than I have. And seeing a production 408 so soon cheesed me off.

Rant done, other side, the 408s are truly amazing-sounding, and I am happy that more players will get the chance now to have them.

And yes, I have already decided that a 408 Standard stoptail with a pattern rosewood neck in Charcoal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

Maybe I'll wait for the SE 408 ;)

Cantankerous, out

Carl,

If you read the info about the Sig Ltd when it was released, and heard the interviews with Paul, it was very clear that this was the first step into "production 408s" and that a regular model will follow. Paul referred to the pickups as "the future". I don't think you have any grounds to feel you were hard done by - the evidence of next steps was there for all to see, it was just a matter of time...

The 408 looks AMAZING and judging by the video, sounds amazing too!

Noob question: A lot of you guys seem to be drooling over the standard edition, might I ask why? Is there a lot of difference tone wise, having no top? In what way?

Also do you guys know when the 408 will be shipped to stores? And price?

Ron, I am going to b&m about something a little different...

Noone controls my wallet but me, but I paid $4K for a Siggy a few months back strictly because of the pickup system and the sound. As a consumer, I got burned by "early adopter syndrome" because now I have more options for what I have got to figure is a minimum of $1K savings. Do I love my artist-grade top, rosewood veneer, bound fretboard, sinker neck, blue-lined case...yes. Could I have done without those things to get the core of what I was looking for...yes.

OK, so putting things into perspective, it's not the first time, nor will it be the last, that I spend too much money on something that I will probably never get the full use out of. I am fortunate to be in the situation to purchase any of these fine instruments at all. But, as I have said before, judging by the pics floating around this forum, there are alot of members with alot more semi-disposable income than I have. And seeing a production 408 so soon cheesed me off.

Rant done, other side, the 408s are truly amazing-sounding, and I am happy that more players will get the chance now to have them.

And yes, I have already decided that a 408 Standard stoptail with a pattern rosewood neck in Charcoal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

Maybe I'll wait for the SE 408 ;)

Cantankerous, out

I think that you also probably got "cream of the crop" woods, etc. on the guitar. Since you didn't pay more than you would have for a new Artist Package, and got what that would, in essence be, plus the premium woods, maybe you actually got a good deal!

Just my two cents. ;)

Again, guys, love the guitar, my bad for not doing all of my historical research, etc...just saying that had I known it was going to be so soon for a full production model, I would have waited, and used the extra money on all the fancy bits (which have a minimal impact on the sound), towards another guitar.

Again, guys, love the guitar, my bad for not doing all of my historical research, etc...just saying that had I known it was going to be so soon for a full production model, I would have waited, and used the extra money on all the fancy bits (which have a minimal impact on the sound), towards another guitar.

You're right about the impact of the fancy stuff, but...I'm thinking that the price difference might not be that much. I'm seeing studios with 10 tops in the 3.6 street range lately.

Last edited:
I'm anxious to hear the Mahogany version!

I think Nicky Moroch was playing an all-mahogany 408 PS Sig at the Experience last year. I thought I'd seen videos of it on youtube but can't seem to find them.

Back