The holy trinity...

Mozzi

https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts
I consider my 3 PRS guitars the 'holy trinity' because these 3 are, for me, the 3 guitars that give me virtually the full gamut of options for the type of music I like and want to play.

First up is my 2016 PRS McCarty 594. This is my 'Vintage Les Paul' type guitar giving me the classic LP type tones with all the modern hardware and options to coil-split too. The neck carve is just perfect too and its such a joy to play too. I love the sound of the pick-ups too...

8sNcZH1.jpg

Next is my 2017 PRS 509. This is my 'super-strat' giving me the tele/strat tones. I could of gone with a 'Silver Sky' I guess but I have never liked the Fender style body shape or the 'pick guards'. I also like to see the wood on guitars - not a solid 'paint' - so the 509 my preferred option. Its a very versatile guitar too...

BJ3Om6e.jpg

Finally, my 2018 PRS Custom 24. The traditional PRS that sits in the middle of these two. A guitar I have wanted since the mid/late 80's. Such a beautiful and iconic guitar that plays beautifully too...

vbFJx28.jpg

This is my 'Holy Trinity' of guitars - What's yours and why?

Last edited:
Hmm,
If we're keeping it to PRS, then my holy trinity would be very similar I think.
Certainly a 594 to cover the classic single cut side.
Then a 509/305/DC3/NF3 for the Fender.
Finally - If these were the only 3 guitars I could have - then a Floyd rose custom 24 with 59/09s to cover the rockier stuff.

I like your trinity, and I need a 509/513 (currently have to cover that ground with a Strat - oh the humanity!). I have the 594 and the CU24 covered.
What you are missing is one of the piezo equipped guitars. I love being able to pull off a convincing acoustic part with my PRS.
In fact, if I could only keep one of my many electrics, it would probably be my P-22. Ask me again tomorrow and my answer will probably change.

My holy trinity is something like a strat, something with P90s, and something with humbuckers. I can't seem to play most PRSs comfortably because of my seated position and the leg cut position of almost every PRS. Had a 594 and loved it and it could have filled the humbucker role for life but I couldn't get comfortable playing it, so now that role is filled by an Ibanez semi-hollow Scofield model. It works better for me and it's shockingly close to the 594 in quality, but the 594 definitely has that little indefinable something that puts it a cut above - above any other humbucker guitar I've played. A Silver Sky is the one PRS body shape I'm pretty sure I could play comfortably and I'll likely try one eventually, but right now I'm thrilled to death with my Robert Cray hardtail strat holding down the strat seat in my little trinity - I like hardtails a lot and find tremolos a pain in the butt that I have to work around so unless there's eventually a Silver Sky without a tremolo, this one might be tough to dislodge. And for P90s I'd be really happy with any number of PRS options if I could play them comfortably (briefly had a Soapbar II and really loved it's sound), but since I can't, I ended up with a tele thinline with P90s, upgraded the pickups to Pete Bitloff's Vintage Vibe soapbars, and so now that slot is happy filled as well. My holy trinity may well include a Silver Sky at some point (although it would be really hard for me to give up my hardtail and go back to blocking/decking a tremolo I'd never use) but unfortunately probably won't include any PRS with the typical PRS body shape and leg cut location. I love 'em but I can't play 'em comfortably for any period of time.

Hmmmm, my "holy trinity" would come down to these three:

SC245 57/08. This guitar is my IDEALIZED Les Paul tone. It is a killer rock guitar - thick mids, awesome sustain.

Next would be the treasured S2 Standard 22. This guitar is just perfect. It was created with music inside. Every time I pick it up I write a song. Tonally, it's my "middle of the road" guitar. I am reminded of playing a Jackson/Charvel - not the "feel", but the neutral tone. It just works on everything....

And lastly - but NOT leastly - is my "strat". This 1990 EG4 has been SHOCKINGLY amazing. This past weekend I went and "converted" it to an EG3 set-up - 3 slanted singles. It KILLS!!!! I installed the Seymour Duncan Jimi Hendrix pick up set wired to a Toneman '64 Blues wiring harness. It hasn't left my hands since I bought it.

I like your trinity, and I need a 509/513 (currently have to cover that ground with a Strat - oh the humanity!). I have the 594 and the CU24 covered.
What you are missing is one of the piezo equipped guitars. I love being able to pull off a convincing acoustic part with my PRS.
In fact, if I could only keep one of my many electrics, it would probably be my P-22. Ask me again tomorrow and my answer will probably change.

I would love a Hollowbody II with the Piezo system (or maybe the Music Man Majesty Monarchy) but the truth is, I don't know that I would really get much use out of the Piezo system. I do have an Electro Acoustic (Washburn EA20 from the early 90's - Wine Red Mahogany version) which I could use IF I ever were to require an acoustic sound. The other option is you can get Multi-FX Pedals (like the GT100) to give an 'acoustic-type' sound as well. I would still want a HBII though at some point - with or without the Piezo but preferably with...

My 'Holy Trinity' is PRS because I love PRS guitars and my selection is based more on the Rock/Metal genre because that's my thing. As you can see. I prefer Red too so all my guitars are 'similar' but its always interesting to see what others consider to be their 'holy trinity' too.

I consider my 3 PRS guitars the 'holy trinity' because these 3 are, for me, the 3 guitars that give me virtually the full gamut of options for the type of music I like and want to play.

First up is my 2016 PRS McCarty 594. This is my 'Vintage Les Paul' type guitar giving me the classic LP type tones with all the modern hardware and options to coil-split too. The neck carve is just perfect too and its such a joy to play too. I love the sound of the pick-ups too...

8sNcZH1.jpg

Next is my 2017 PRS 509. This is my 'super-strat' giving me the tele/strat tones. I could of gone with a 'Silver Sky' I guess but I have never liked the Fender style body shape or the 'pick guards'. I also like to see the wood on guitars - not a solid 'paint' - so the 509 my preferred option. Its a very versatile guitar too...

BJ3Om6e.jpg

Finally, my 2018 PRS Custom 24. The traditional PRS that sits in the middle of these two. A guitar I have wanted since the mid/late 80's. Such a beautiful and iconic guitar that plays beautifully too...

ExpmAXk.jpg

Nice! I love all three.

I have a 594 for the classic HB guitar and I use a Custom 22 as my everything guitar. I prefer to make my own S style guitar, but I'm sure I could be happy with a DC3 or Silver Sky with some mods.

Here’s my second Holy Family (I needed the whole ‘family’ as opposed to Trinity since I needed more than 3 spots):

1. McCarty AP (Brazilian) w/LT pickups
Honorable mention/backup: McCarty Korina
Vintage old school sound. Korina is the more aggressive of the two. The McCarty is more dynamic (probably due to the brazzy neck combined with the low turn pickups).

2. Fender ‘strat’ with strat pickups (1970s)
Honorable mention: DC3 with strat pickups
Single coil goodness. Can be both mean and sweet.

3. Epiphone Crestwood Custom (1960s)
Thick and gooey. Low strings sound like a straight up funky bass...

4. Custom 24 AP
This is my modern rock machine. Can get close to a strat single coil (in a pinch). The highs just scream on this thing.

I got one more spot open... for something that rhymes with the great state of Montana.

You shouldn’t be asking for the “holy trinity”.
It’s really the “whole mischpocha” that you’re after.
Thanks

8sNcZH1.jpg

BJ3Om6e.jpg

ExpmAXk.jpg

Mozzi - my trinity has the utmost respect for your trinity...

:cool:

ScarletTrio2018-2.JPG

Back