The Herf

Oh .......man..........I quit smoking in 1993 but boy do I miss cigars.

Used to Attend BMW and Moto Guzzi rallies in the midwest frequently. Sitting around a campfire at night with a glass of something and a cigar was heaven.

Really miss the rallies in Wisconsin, had some buddies up there I haven't seen in a good long while. Might try to get up there this summer.

@Danerada, Martysnarf, and I all shared some great cigars over the XPRS weekend!! On tap that weekend were, Partagas D4, H. Upman #2, and some AMAZING Montecristo 80th Anniversarios!!!

Let's say one could obtain a Cuban cigar. What would be a good one to look for? I'm not looking of the rarest or most expensive, just a solid representation of what a Cuban cigar should be.

Let's say one could obtain a Cuban cigar. What would be a good one to look for? I'm not looking of the rarest or most expensive, just a solid representation of what a Cuban cigar should be.
Shawn, Make sure you buy your Cuban smokes from a La Case Del Habanos (they are the official store of Habanos SA). Cigar Aficionado published an article suggesting that 95% of all cCuban cigars in the the US are counterfeit. Many of them come from Cuba.

If you're looking for a representative selection, be sure to get at least 2 of each smoke. Hand-made cigars can vary more than you might think from one to another. Then turn your attention to the following:
1) The Hoyo De Monterrey Double Cornona. This might just be the highest rated Cuban cigar through the years.
2) Just about anything from Cohiba; especially the Esplendidos, Robustos, Siglo IV, Siglo VI, and any one of the three vitolas from their Maduro 5 line (I love the Secretos).
3) The Partagas D4 is one of the greats. I am told the E2 is just a bigger vitola of the same blend.
4) Any of the Romeo Y Julieta Churchills. The Wide Churchills is my favourite. Great flavour and big smoke.
5) Bolivar Belicosos Finos. This is a man's cigar. Strong. Not for the faint of heart. The Royal Corona is also worth a look.

Paul is right, the Montecristo #2 is very popular. It may be the best selling Cuban in the world. Alas, I prefer Montecristo's Open Eagle.

I'd suggest a Partagas D4 or a Montecristo #2...they're a great representation of Cuban cigars at their finest. I wish I would have known you were interested, and I would have brought you one at the factory!

If you do have interest in trying one though, as Hans suggested, make sure you are buying an authentic Cuban as counterfeits can have some REALLY nasty stuff in them.

I'd suggest a Partagas D4 or a Montecristo #2...they're a great representation of Cuban cigars at their finest. I wish I would have known you were interested, and I would have brought you one at the factory!

If you do have interest in trying one though, as Hans suggested, make sure you are buying an authentic Cuban as counterfeits can have some REALLY nasty stuff in them.

I'm on board with the D4 as well. Haven't had a Monte #2 :(

Shawn, Make sure you buy your Cuban smokes from a La Case Del Habanos (they are the official store of Habanos SA). Cigar Aficionado published an article suggesting that 95% of all cCuban cigars in the the US are counterfeit. Many of them come from Cuba.

If you're looking for a representative selection, be sure to get at least 2 of each smoke. Hand-made cigars can vary more than you might think from one to another. Then turn your attention to the following:
1) The Hoyo De Monterrey Double Cornona. This might just be the highest rated Cuban cigar through the years.
2) Just about anything from Cohiba; especially the Esplendidos, Robustos, Siglo IV, Siglo VI, and any one of the three vitolas from their Maduro 5 line (I love the Secretos).
3) The Partagas D4 is one of the greats. I am told the E2 is just a bigger vitola of the same blend.
4) Any of the Romeo Y Julieta Churchills. The Wide Churchills is my favourite. Great flavour and big smoke.
5) Bolivar Belicosos Finos. This is a man's cigar. Strong. Not for the faint of heart. The Royal Corona is also worth a look.

Paul is right, the Montecristo #2 is very popular. It may be the best selling Cuban in the world. Alas, I prefer Montecristo's Open Eagle.

What is the Open Eagle like? Never seen that one but am curious.

Well... sh!t.

04BB4C15-FC16-4647-BD60-CD0ABF1C4295-X3.jpg

Apparantly. :(

Had to quarantine about 10 exceptional smokes and hope like hell I can save them.

Is that mold, or bloom?

Bloom is a good thing. It develops as smokes age. It can happen before or after you get them. I've been getting a lot fo smokes en tubo with nice speckles of bloom all over them. The more times I look at that Opus, the more I am convinced it is bloom and not mold.

Here's my daily chore:
bXiXULV.jpg

Unfortunately, I have been unable to see any fo the Smugmug images in this thread... But, I did read through it pretty quickly this morning. and it seems there may be one or two other smokers on here. I've been smoking cigars for 25 years or so now.... Much better than the cigarettes I smoked before that!

As someone mentioned, it's a relaxation thing... a take a little time for me thing. A lot of the time, I will sit, with cigar and guitar in hand, noodling, learning something new, playing along to music, whatever. But, it assures me some time with a guitar in my hand each day.

Back