The Forum Guitar

OK, here's the scoop.

The model, the specs, the color, none of that matters if the guitar is not permanently identifiable as being a "Forum Guitar". That means some feature, however small, needs to be an integral and permanent part of the guitar. It also needs to be something that will not be repeated on future builds that might seek to masquerade as a forum guitar.

We have an answer back.

No.

Their counter offer was to document the guitars as forum guitars on the cover plates, outside or inside, but since the cover plates are removable, that does not satisfy the permanent identification criteria. Add to that, anyone with a gold sharpie could make a copy with just a little writing practice.

So, that would seem to kill the effort this time around.

Look at it this way, I just saved a few of you (including myself) about $4500 to spend on something else.

DSC_7297.jpg

You're welcome.

DUDE!!!!! In all seriousness - ditch the ridiculous BC Rich points and I LOVE that guitar!!!!! What color is that???? The 80's guy in me just went into FULL flashback mode.....

The hottest guitar on the planet right now is the Silver Sky. Why not ask PRS for a custom colour that is not offered right now, like Frost Blue or Green Frost Metallic. Slap a Forum designed neck plate and Pauls john doe on the back of the headstock. The down side of course would be the wait...can you say 2020.

...none of that matters if the guitar is not permanently identifiable as being a "Forum Guitar". That means some feature, however small, needs to be an integral and permanent part of the guitar. It also needs to be something that will not be repeated on future builds that might seek to masquerade as a forum guitar.
Thanks for your effort, but I don't see why it has to have something unique. A limited run (even a numbered one) doesn't have that. The back plate is numbered xx/xxx and that can be removed but it doesn't prevent a limited run.

I think a forum guitar can just be a cool limited run numbered for however many of us buy one. It can have WL appointments and maybe something unique like a P90.

Substituting a different sized pup in a WL build is not possible, period.

The ‘something unique’ was, and continues to be, the thing that did and will kill this project, at least at ANY level below PS.

I think the number of people who can afford a PS here is quite small. Of that number, most have already bought one and/or have very specific things they want on their builds. For people who can only afford one PS ever, they are not going to sacrifice any spec they personally want so that their PS will be a ‘forum guitar’. That’s a recipe for too much divergence and non-agreement to make any set of builds a recognized cohesive set.

Many may disagree with me, but the concept of a forum guitar strikes me as a nearly homogenous build varying only in the smallest specs from guitar to guitar, like color - as though it was a limited edition made available to forum members.

Calling one guy’s Santana, another’s CU24 and yet another’s 594 all “Forum Guitars” because they share a numbered and signed removable cover plate doesn’t make any sense to me.

If someone wants to pick up the gauntlet and continue with the cover plate idea (the only unique feature PRS will agree to at any level below PS), have at it.

Last edited:
OK, here's the scoop.

The model, the specs, the color, none of that matters if the guitar is not permanently identifiable as being a "Forum Guitar". That means some feature, however small, needs to be an integral and permanent part of the guitar. It also needs to be something that will not be repeated on future builds that might seek to masquerade as a forum guitar.

We have an answer back.

No.

Their counter offer was to document the guitars as forum guitars on the cover plates, outside or inside, but since the cover plates are removable, that does not satisfy the permanent identification criteria. Add to that, anyone with a gold sharpie could make a copy with just a little writing practice.

So, that would seem to kill the effort this time around.

Look at it this way, I just saved a few of you (including myself) about $4500 to spend on something else.
What would the MODCAT say?

The modcat is a series of blanks
:rolleyes:
I mean, would the MODCAT identify it as a unique FG or would it just be the base model? I'm just trying to think of something that would set the guitar aside from others, even if it is buried under the pickups (and/or on the case/hangtag)...

Substituting a different sized pup in a WL build is not possible, period.

The ‘something unique’ was, and continues to be, the thing that did and will kill this project, at least at ANY level below PS.

I think the number of people who can afford a PS here is quite small. Of that number, most have already bought one and/or have very specific things they want on their builds. That’s a recipe for too much divergence and non-agreement to make any set of builds a recognized cohesive set.

Many may disagree with me, but the concept of a forum guitar strikes me as a nearly homogenous build varying only in the smallest specs from guitar to guitar, like color - as though it was a limited edition made available to forum members.

Calling one guy’s Santana, another’s CU24 and yet another’s 594 all “Forum Guitars” because they share a numbered and signed removable cover plate doesn’t make any sense to me.

If someone wants to pick up the gauntlet and continue with the cover plate idea (the only unique feature PRS will agree to at any level below PS), have at it.

Something with 24 frets and Paul’s signature on the front headstock. Written “Special PRS Forum Run #ed” on the back of the headstock should be enough to make it special to me.... the rest shouldn’t be that hard to agree on , people stay in the WL guidelines. Rest of the specs you all decide. I’m interested if my first sentence is included. Body shape, neck carve, pickups, won’t matter to me much for this model. 24 frets, Signature and special run title and # Matter to me.

Just my 2 cents

I got no skin in the game because it's highly unlikely I would buy, but how about a Santana Retro-Retro? A nod to pre-factory style but with all the modern advancements PRS have made.

Start with the existing Santana Retro, with a few tweaks
All mahogany with satin finish
Or maybe a unique top wood if they have something stashed away?
Old school abalone birds and keep the body stripes for subtle bling
Ziricote fretboard for some wood bling and CITES friendly
You already get an eagle on the headstock, so maybe a unique truss rod cover and inscription on the back of the headstock?
Keep the colors natural, like pre-factory guitars
You guys can fight over pickups, but 57/08 seem the most universally liked

That would be a cool guitar. It would be rare, but not too dear, so you can stash it and keep it pristine or play the hell out of it and gather a nice patina.

Did someone say Santana? I'm in!

Here is what I would love to see, and it would be beautiful and an incredible instrument

CU 24, 2 versions.
Fatback hog body with the biggest neck possible.
IR neck with ebony or blackwood board, birds.
Trem, uncovered DGT pickups, hybrid hardware
3 way toggle, pull up volume to split coils, no tone control--sweet switch.

One version is all mahogany body painted black or gold.
Second version has a flame top in old school colors like teal black, vintage yellow, emerald, whale blue

This would be one hell of a performance guitar, and a tone monster. Just put a unique Forum truss rod cover on it and be done. 2 runs of 10 each, for 20 total guitars. None of this would be PS stuff. There would never be anything else out there like it again

Back