The Forum Guitar

I get it, but you should really check out the NF pick ups. Some of the best ever. I get your dislike for the pick guard as I am not all that keen on them either. If you get a chance to play a Paul's Guitar you'll get an idea about the NF pickups as I believe the Paul's pickups are variants of the NF. Someone correct me if I am way off base.

I have heard the tones, not got to play one yet and of course I have heard an NF3 too and they are capable of great tones. I could accept a Pauls guitar because it looks like a PRS - although not keen on the pick-up mounting rings but that's a small detail. Its not about the pick-ups or the tones, its the overall look of the guitar for me.

hey look, someone said “make it a Players Guitar.” I ran with it.

And Mr. Mozzi, with all due respect, you DON’T know what the NF3 neck feels like until you’ve played one. They aren’t like any of my other PRS on the neck finish and it’s incredible. And hey, I also get it. You’re a fancy guy. Maybe the kind of guy who’d never be caught dead in a new Chevy or Buick or Toyota, when a new Benz can get you to work just fine. I get it. I do. But if I didn’t love my wife so much, I may actually say in public that of the 4 PRS guitars I own, the 3 she bought me are 3 beautiful fancy guitars and all three of them are GREAT instruments of the highest quality. But the NF3 which I bought myself may be the best overall guitar I’ve ever played.

I’ve moaned like a little sissy about it for two years that I wish it had birds. That is THE PRS THING to me. But I don’t give a crap about bolt on when it’s done right. My JP12 BFR is bolt on and it’s a thoroughbread as well. I’ve even learned to live with plane white paint, boring dots and NO BIRDS because the guitar just plays, feels and SOUNDS incredible, and incredible versatile! Telling you point blank, that guitar and an Archon could do ANY GIG EVER and do it better than any other single guitar I’ve heard. Enough.

Its not about being a 'Fancy' guy either - I would happily own an Epiphone as I said. There are just some shapes that I don't like and regardless of how they sound or play, I wouldn't want to own something that I don't like the look of - regardless of whether its 'cheap' or 'expensive'. If I can get something similar in tone, in a shape I like - even if it means replacing the Pick-ups, then I will go that route rather than buy something that I dislike just because it plays well or sounds good. Those are just 2 of the elements that make up a guitar and we all know PRS is not going to settle for any guitar that doesn't play well or sound great. There are a lot of guitars that really play well and my PRS 594 is definitely one of the best guitars I have ever played - the vintage neck carve is just perfect, the scale length is just perfect and I love the tones it produces too. My 509 is my 'strat' compromise - my guitar to get as close to the strat tones as I can without actually buying a 'strat' - and I prefer the slightly shorter scale length to a fender too - which I know is the same as a NF3 and both of these have the same neck carve too.

To go back to your 'Car' analogy, I bet you don't like every model in the range by Chevy, Buick or Toyota - maybe your a SUV, Sports or Pick-up kind of guy and the small hatch-back models look 'ugly' to you. Maybe you don't want to be seen in a Toyota Prius or Yaris but happily drive a HiLux still both Toyota. Maybe you won't buy a certain colour of car either because you don't like 'yellow' regardless of the fact that it drives exactly the same as the other colours in the range.

For me, a guitar not only has to sound great and play well, it also has to look good too. If I walk into a guitar shop, I gravitate to the guitars that look great and its that that makes me want to pick them up and start playing. If it doesn't play well or sound great, move on to the next great looking guitar. If I don't find what I am looking for, I leave without trying any of the guitars that I didn't like the look of. If I miss out on a 'great' guitar that played well just because it doesn't 'look' great to me, so be it - its not as if there aren't a plethora of great playing, excellent sounding guitars that look stunning too.

I doubt I am the only one that gravitates towards the things we find more attractive. Not the only one who leaves that 'ugly' guitar in the corner of the music store alone to play the ones that 'look' stunning - even if that 'ugly' guitar is the best sounding/playing guitar in the whole shop. Not everyone likes the shapes of some guitars - like the Warlock, Flying V, Iceman etc and won't gravitate towards those either regardless of how they sound/play.

Got an idea for the forum guitar. How about the dealer does a special run, the get Aulson inlays to make the truss rod covers, and there is our forum guitar. Make sure Aulson only makes the exact number of truss rod covers needed. Then we have the special sauce from PRS, and an easily identifiable feature for the forum guitar.

Got an idea for the forum guitar. How about the dealer does a special run, the get Aulson inlays to make the truss rod covers, and there is our forum guitar. Make sure Aulson only makes the exact number of truss rod covers needed. Then we have the special sauce from PRS, and an easily identifiable feature for the forum guitar.

Solid idea.... except the last time Shawn tried to do a TRC for the crew there wasn’t enough interest, or something.

Solid idea.... except the last time Shawn tried to do a TRC for the crew there wasn’t enough interest, or something.

I think the dealer would have to have the TRC made. I doubt PRS would do it. Plus the dealer would only have made the exact number made to match the number of guitars. Only those buying the guitar will get the TRC.

Couldn’t you just buy a PRS of your own choosing, put an aftermarket truss rod cover on it, and for all practical purposes achieve the same thing, I.e., a non-PRS decoration on a PRS?

Couldn’t you just buy a PRS of your own choosing, put an aftermarket truss rod cover on it, and for all practical purposes achieve the same thing, I.e., a non-PRS decoration on a PRS?
Yep.

I think anything we do as a group outside of what PRS does to the guitar is great, but may not have the caché that I think some folks are expecting out of a "Forum" guitar.

We could all agree to buy cheap TRCs, paint them Sergio-blue with rhinestones somehow embedded, and add them to a run of non-10-top CU24s. While that would be a "forum" activity to simulate a "forum guitar", it doesn't have the same gravitas, IMHO.

If the current "secret sauce" is not enough for most folks, especially of the model/config of the guitar is not generally agreeable in groups of 10, this will simply die on the vine. While that would briefly sad, we'd all move on and get the guitars we were thinking of anyway.

Yep.

I think anything we do as a group outside of what PRS does to the guitar is great, but may not have the caché that I think some folks are expecting out of a "Forum" guitar.

We could all agree to buy cheap TRCs, paint them Sergio-blue with rhinestones somehow embedded, and add them to a run of non-10-top CU24s. While that would be a "forum" activity to simulate a "forum guitar", it doesn't have the same gravitas, IMHO.

If the current "secret sauce" is not enough for most folks, especially of the model/config of the guitar is not generally agreeable in groups of 10, this will simply die on the vine. While that would briefly sad, we'd all move on and get the guitars we were thinking of anyway.

Anyone can replace a TRC anyway so its not a forum 'Guitar' - may as well just commission some 'exclusive' TRC's that we can put on our favourite Core model. There is always going to be an issue with trying to make a universally acceptable guitar in a colour or several colours that everyone likes and to make it unique enough to be special and feel exclusive whilst not being too outrageous that it puts some people off.

I do think the 'easiest' thing could have been to have something unique with the 'birds' - either a special colour at the 12th fret or mixed colours - make a certain number of necks and set them into the a couple of different models that all use the same neck and frets. 22 frets would probably be a more universal neck. Once they have made the necks, they could even take an order so people get to choose between a few models to buy - whether these are Wood Library or a specific wood neck - but that is still a lot of work and probably not an option. Otherwise it will end up being a specific model, specific colour(s) and same hardware which will no doubt not be everyone's first choice and end up upsetting some who were hoping for something different.

If a TRC is an option, then you could also have other 'Forum' accessories - An exclusive Forum strap for example.

I am an extremely new guy around here, but I have finally found my favorite guitar of all time, when I got my first WL. It's the first guitar that I can say that I will never sell. With that in mind, I'd love to get in on this buy if the opportunity to do so is still available. I may have, and probably did, miss the thread where we have the chance to opt in; so I'll go look again.

But I'd like to know if a new forum member is allowed to even participate?

I am an extremely new guy around here, but I have finally found my favorite guitar of all time, when I got my first WL. It's the first guitar that I can say that I will never sell. With that in mind, I'd love to get in on this buy if the opportunity to do so is still available. I may have, and probably did, miss the thread where we have the chance to opt in; so I'll go look again.

But I'd like to know if a new forum member is allowed to even participate?
You can definitely participate. A guitar hasn’t been committed to yet. It was a no go last time around. Hard to say what will come of it this time. Add your two cents and if you like the result jump in.

You can definitely participate. A guitar hasn’t been committed to yet. It was a no go last time around. Hard to say what will come of it this time. Add your two cents and if you like the result jump in.

Thanks man! I appreciate that. And I'll participate and contribute accordingly!
It would really be cool to be a part of such a thing.

Hi guys!
Can anyone tell what the original price of this guitar:

PRS Experience Custom 24 Raging Ruby 2008
with a maple top, mahogany body and neck, Indian rosewood fretboard, #6 pickups, Regular neck carve.

Back