The Forum Guitar

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
EDIT: The first poll:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/forum-guitar-poll-1-the-secret-sauce.31835/

EDIT: Price poll is up:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-forum-guitar-poll-2-price-point.32136/

I'm willing to work on this and try to get it done. Shawn has suggest that we use one dealer and make it a Wood Library run.

That would fix a couple of the stumbling blocks from the last try. We would have to stay within the WL specs. But one of the things that killed the last go was the specs. Just a bit too close to PS. It is possible to get a unique guitar out of the WL. Sure, someone could come along later and duplicate if we use WL specs it and claim it was a 'forum guitar' but I have a couple of ideas on shutting that down. So, the run should still be unique and collectible.

The second thing is that by staying within the WL specs, we don't have to limit the run to a specific number unless we want to. That gives every forum member a fair shot at owning one. It also means that we don't have to guarantee a minimum either. That makes it easier to pull off as well.

I will be looking for ONE thing that distinguishes the run from all other WL runs. I have some ideas and want to float them by PRS before we discuss them. I want to know they are possible before we get attached to the ideas.

I intend for this build to be as inclusive as possible for the members and have one exclusive feature. After the initial run(s), it will not be repeated.

We have no specs - we're starting from scratch using WL options.

The NEW specs are here:

It's a 6 string, RH guitar from the WL... That's as far as we are so far.

Who's interested?

I'm also looking for a dealer that will help with this process. Expect it to be a true pain in the ass, so know what you are getting into before you say you want to be the one. If I can get some cooperation, we might get 2 or even three dealers in on this. That could spread out the pain a bit. Please PM me if you are interested in being the dealer instead of responding here. I don't want a dealer war in this thread.

Last edited:
Ooooh, dangerous territory for me!

I’d love to see a 594 trem. Two thoughts on it, stripped down and blinged out.

Stripped down:
Light weight mahogany body (due to bad back I need total weight 8lbs or less)
NO MAPLE TOP
Mahogany neck
Pattern Vintage neck carve
Braz RW board
No binding on body or neck
Old school eagle on headstock, Braz veneer
Moon inlays except on 12th fret (bird)
Pickups: 59/09 bridge, P90 neck
Gen III Trem and locking tuners
Stain colors - not sure what looks best on hog, but could do say brown tone, red tone, others?
Finish: satin nitro

Blinged out:
594 trem
Artist grade quilt top
Maple binding body
No binding fretboard
Paua brushstroke birds. Paua brushstroke eagle on HS? If not allowed, paua signature
Half of run with RW neck, Half of run with hog neck
Ebony board
Pickups: 59/09 bridge, P90 neck
Gen III Trem and locking tuners
Colors: All fades: Blue Fade, Black Fade, Red Fade, Trampas Fade, Orange Fade
8lbs or less
Finish: DGT Nitro

Yep, that would do it for me!

Last edited:
The first note on this guitar:

It will include no woods or materials that would restrict it to USA sales only. We have many wonderful international members and I will not have them left out.

So, that probably lets Brazilian Rosewood out of the picture.

There will be other prohibited things, I'm sure.

The second note on this guitar:

We are working within the Wood Library specs. That means that almost everything PS is off limits. Hans went down that road (with good intention). It didn't work.

Last edited:
curious what are the ‘private stock only’ options are? there’s a list on the website but it was more about finish colors last i looked.

agree on making it CITES friendly.

The first note on this guitar:

It will include no woods or materials that would restrict it to USA sales only. We have many wonderful international members and I will not have them left out.

So, that probably lets Brazilian Rosewood out of the picture.

There will be other prohibited things, I'm sure.

The second note on this guitar:

We are working within the Wood Library specs. That means that almost everything PS is off limits. Hans went down that road (with good intention). It didn't work.

as an alternative to ebony, I have seen african blackwood offered on some WL runs. To my ears, it makes a better sounding fretboard, ymmv. Otherwise I think some artist grade indian rosewood would be great.

P.S. I know it would take a CNC programming fee, but a 594 scale length would really knock it out of the park :) and this would be an amazing new model. Or you could give one to Carlos and call it the Santana IV or Santana '59 IV

Sign me up for a vintage yellow please.

Last edited:
Ziricote is a fabulously figured wood and I believe it is available in the WL for fretboards.

Another note:

The body shape and headstock are NOT locked in (NOTHING is at this point).

We have no specs - we're starting from scratch using WL options.

I'm in. Sounds like fun.

Maybe a bunch of polls to see what develops? I am sure I don't know what options are and aren't available through WL.

Narrowfields, 58/15's, or even the 59/09 and p90, but I'd rather stay with the Santana control layout or the Paul's guitar layout. Even the old Singlecut layout is fine. But a Les Paul layout on a PRS is sacrilege IMO.

Wait a minute! :)

594 trem has already been programmed in both DC and SC body shapes. This should be on the menu! :cool:

I’m ok with Blackwood or Ziracote. I wasn’t thinking about overseas, sorry! I just really like Braz these days....

Because there aren’t enough SCT in the world, I’ll modify to SCT (245 scale) with 59/09 bridge and P90 neck. :D

I’d still offer a stripped down all hog rocker and a blinged out quilt top one :)

Last edited:
Back