The "Forum" Guitar

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
It's been discussed before. It never really went anywhere. Too many differing opinions. But I have never been one to put my tail between my legs and run away from a good fight.

If a forum guitar was on the table, do you think this crowd could ever agree in a single design if the only options were neck carve and pickup selection? Do you think enough of us could agree on a base model? Scale length? Fret count? Fret size? Headstock shape? Color? Wood composition? Control layout? Bridge? Maple binding? No binding at all? Birds? Moons? Celtic Knots? A totally unique inlay? Bolt on neck? Glued in neck?

Would it be based on a McCarty? A semi-hollow McCarty? A CU24? A DC22 (24.5" scale)? A hollow body? Santana 2? An SC or SC Trem? Or maybe a US model loosely based on the SE One with BRW fretboards, a lipstick pup in the bridge position, and P22 Piezo? You know that would get my vote! :)

I wonder... could we get it done? Could we get 40 or 50 guys to commit the funds (up front) to give PRS a compelling reason to consider building the Official PRS Forum guitar? Would 40-50 be enough?

When I asked you guys about your concept of the Ultimate PRS, this is what I had in mind.

Go.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...tar-PUP-selection-0-01&highlight=forum+guitar

Last edited:
I'd like to see something unique, either the colour or inlays, apart from that I'd be willing to go with the flow.

Perhaps no BRW for us international folk :)

Given a free reign, I don't think you'd get 50 folks agreeing to be honest - look at the diversity in the Ultimate PRS thread. Your best bet would be to try to put a unique spec together based on the best selling PRS model, whatever that is?

However if it's a Vintage Yellow 24 fret McCarty with narrow 408s, a sweet switch, a trem and a toggle switch then I'm in. That'd be unique, plus it has references to the old and the new. Offer all 3 Pattern neck profiles as the only option and you're good to go ;)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43749 said:
It's been discussed before. It never really went anywhere. Too many differing opinions. But I have never been one to put my tail between my legs and run away from a good fight.

If a forum guitar was on the table, do you think this crowd could ever agree in a single design if the only options were neck carve and pickup selection? Do you think enough of us could agree on a base model? Scale length? Fret count? Fret size? Headstock shape? Color? Wood composition? Control layout? Bridge? Maple binding? No binding at all? Birds? Moons? Celtic Knots? A totally unique inlay? Bolt on neck? Glued in neck?

Would it be based on a McCarty? A semi-hollow McCarty? A CU24? A DC22 (24.5" scale)? A hollow body? Santana 2? An SC or SC Trem? Or maybe a US model loosely based on the SE One with BRW fretboards, a lipstick pup in the bridge position, and P22 Piezo? You know that would get my vote! :)

I wonder... could we get it done? Could we get 40 or 50 guys to commit the funds (up front) to give PRS a compelling reason to consider building the Official PRS Forum guitar? Would 40-50 be enough?

When I asked you guys about your concept of the Ultimate PRS, this is what I had in mind.

Go.

Your question is its own answer ! Variety is the mother of disagreement !!!!!!!!!!

Something i did on a previous forum (with which we DID get a custom run made quite proud) was to break it down into a series of topics and members voted on what spec they wnated so for example you'd have the "neck carve thread" and you'd vote on whether you wanted the wide thin or wide fat or whatever and the one with the most votes went through to the final production model,
just a thought but it worked on that forum where the members would get roudy if they didn't get their spec in the first thread (though strangely quite when it didn't get voted through)

I think it would be much easier to agree on a special run guitar 50 people would be happy to own than on the ultimate guitar. Something like a Dirty 100 would be awesome - I'm thinking of wood selection more than the actual body style, colour and electronics, though I think the Dirty 100 was a great product. I also think that would be a good price point to target.

Personally, I would be thinking McCarty or Santana shape, vintage yellow, dirty flame top, peruvian mahogany or rosewood neck. Cocobolo fingerboards are sweet, but I'm not hung up on it. I also kind of like the dirty moons, but would go with the flow on inlay.

PRS might be more interested in a run of 100, which might be hard for the forum to get a commitment to, but that's just my wild speculation.

well, I have to be honest, I've already played a few PRS that I don't like it at all, but those were made a long time ago. In the recent years it's more like "this one suits me more then that one" then the "not my cup of tea" thing. based on that, I could go with any "normal" spec and by normal I mean a Hollow body guitar with Floyd Rose is too much for me.
I also think that most of us has more then one PRS guitar and have another one like the other ones but with different inlays and/or one of a kind color would be not as cool as have different inlays, color and wood selection. So anything from a 22 frets Mira with alder body, rosewood neck and cocobolo fingerboard to a single cut with swamp ash back, maple top etc etc etc.

I think we can't go wrong with a 22 frets Pettern Neck and McCarty body shape. I can see most of us enjoying the 408 Electronics. Maybe 2 of those narrow ones, so it could be even more exclusive. well, now that I wrote it looks like Paul's guitar...LOL
gezzz, this is hard... but I want one

Sounds like something Rob Chapman did for his first guitar made under his own brand name the ML1. Had all his fans vote for favorite attributes and made something to suit the majority. Cool idea. As long as it is not cost prhibitive I might be in; cant do a PS type price tage but if reasonable I may be down for one.

I like this idea too. I'm concerned that this limited run could get pricy and fast. I think that many of us will need to know the price to us cost before we will be able to commit. We have lots of members who only have one or 2 guitars by financial necessity.

If we can get past that stumbling block, this sounds like a really cool idea.

I think it needs to have a popular shape like a McCarty, but with distinctive features on which we'll debate.

Some things I think would be cool are siggy-like minitoggles to split each coil independently. Maybe a piezo bridge. It would be nice to have unique inlays, but I fear that that would raise the cost too much - Perhaps PRSh could be persuaded to sign the headstocks backs with "Forum Guitar Special" or something like that. I'm down for a custom color blend. Whatever woods are used - they should be cleared for international shipping.

One thing it should NOT have is numbered headstocks like 1/50 and 8/50. I don't want to see forum members fighting for the first or last or low numbers.

I'd commit to a CU24 or Santana shaped guitar with a BRW board, BRW neck....and a Piezo system built in. Other than those essentials, I'd go along with the forum on specific electronics, neck carve, scale length. I'd vote for special inlays, however, and wouldn't mind the original Tree of Life design from the 1995 Rosewood Ltd.

Last edited:
Depending on the price point, I'd be in for a DC22!! I think it's such a great and unique guitar that it would be a great first "Forum" guitar!!

I would be happy with the McCarty body to start. As far as number of frets and scale length either one would be good. Pick ups could be special 59/09 that has mini toggles to split pickups. Color would be up in the air because there is such varieties. As for the neck I gotta say crack wood.

I'm liking where this is going. How about as a starter for ten:

* McCarty body
* 25" scale
* Trem
* Rosewood neck with no finish, no binding and the Pattern profile
* Special headstock overlay - an Eagle with a "Forum Guitar" banner perhaps?
* Zebra 59/09 squabbins with Signature switching (and DGT-spec resistors used for splits)
* Vintage Yellow

I like the idea, but I think we all will need to be willing to compromise in order to allow international shipping and keep the price low enough that most of us could get in on it.

How about if PRS could offer us choices that they could do if we asked for a 50 - 100 piece run. Then we could start choosing from the options they are willing to offer. Let PRS tell us what inlays, colors, and hardware they are willing to use at say a $2400 price. We could have a poll with all the options offered and come up with the winning guitar. Then when we get the winning guitar we can see how many are ready to purchase. PRS can then say if they are willing to do the run or not.

Personally, I'll take a DGT Std in translucent red with 59/09's and knots. Simple and unique. Might be within budget too. Pretty much this color...
Ce222.jpg

Back