The downside to multiple guitars......

I’ve decided that multiple guitars is unequivocally good.

I felt pretty good with 11. There was some overlap, but each of them had something special to offer. I stuck with them for quite a few years while I spent money on other stuff, like paying off a house and funding a couple of degrees.

Then my wife bought me a Santana and I found a couple of other things I didn’t have. I like them all and remember why I bought them. I do play some of them more than others - but when I pick up one I haven’t played in a while it is still like an old friend and compels me to play it’s version of me.

I’m not old enough to get stuck in a rut yet.

One acoustic, one electric. I have other problems, but not "too many guitars"...
I’ve just had one of each for most of my life and I find a lot to recommend in that. I seem to insist on two electrics lately though - been a strat guy forever and want one of those but the 594 is my prized possession so that adds up to two. I can deal with two, but don’t want more. I could easily do with one nice acoustic. Which I have , but I also have a $150 Jim Dandy so I can have one I don’t even have to think about taking care of. But I relate to where you’re at and admire it...

I never saw a downside to having multiples. My wife on the other hand just doesn't see eye to eye with me on that (and not because she's 5'4" and I'm 5'8") [insert rimshot here] Each guitar in a collection has its own voice, its own character. To most they may all look the same and may all sound the same. But to us, the enthusiasts, they are all subtly different and unique, variations in color, tone, scale, pickups, wood, weight, etc., are why we do what we do. I'm down to one Electric, and one Acoustic and am fairly content with that. There was a time I had an acoustic, a strat, an LP, a Harmony Meteor, A 5 string Squier Bass and a 4 String Fender PJ Bass all at the ready. Then in a fit of depression I sold them all. Now I have my dream guitars, a PRS that has the versatility of 3 guitars, and an Ovation that has a voice of an angel. I may want another Bass again in the future, or maybe a Baritone Semi-Hollow instead. Time will tell.

Pretty sure I have 9 right now. They’re not with me but let me count

1. 594
2. Lotus strat copy
3. Gibson LP Studio
4. Godin LGX-SA
5. Godin LG SP90
6. Godin Belmont bigsby
7. PRS SE EG
8. Jasmine Acoustic
9. Ibanez bass

Yep 9. Plus my dad plays too and has several, including some Teles and a sweet Taylor acoustic. Anyway 1-3 aren’t going anywhere, along with 8.

594 needs no explanation. It’s just awesome.

The lotus was my very first guitar. Just got done redoing it. I have way more in it than it will ever be worth to anyone else. And it actually holds its own. Right now it’s a great second voice to the 594.

The LP was the first guitar I bought myself. I had actually “sold” it to my dad several years ago. But recently “reaquired” it. Before I bought the 594. So I plan on refinishing it and upgrading it. Not sure what I’ll do exactly pu wise. I want it to compliment the 594, and not try to imitate it.

The acoustic was a present from my parents. I wanted an acoustic, but had to specify one I could take with me on high school band trips and such. One that if was broken/stolen it wouldn’t be too big of a deal. If not I’m sure Dad would have bought me a D28 or something he could borrow as much as possible haha.

Anyway the others I’m attached to, but they won’t be played much at this point. So I plan on selling them. Then adding a few more PRSi. First on the list will be either a 509, or something with soapbars. Unless the new S2 studio gets another run with birds. It might jump up the list.

My name is Matt. I am a PRSi addict. Formerly just a guitar addict. But now with a deeper addiction. Haha.

Pretty sure I have 9 right now. They’re not with me but let me count

1. 594
2. Lotus strat copy
3. Gibson LP Studio
4. Godin LGX-SA
5. Godin LG SP90
6. Godin Belmont bigsby
7. PRS SE EG
8. Jasmine Acoustic
9. Ibanez bass

Yep 9. Plus my dad plays too and has several, including some Teles and a sweet Taylor acoustic. Anyway 1-3 aren’t going anywhere, along with 8.

594 needs no explanation. It’s just awesome.

The lotus was my very first guitar. Just got done redoing it. I have way more in it than it will ever be worth to anyone else. And it actually holds its own. Right now it’s a great second voice to the 594.

The LP was the first guitar I bought myself. I had actually “sold” it to my dad several years ago. But recently “reaquired” it. Before I bought the 594. So I plan on refinishing it and upgrading it. Not sure what I’ll do exactly pu wise. I want it to compliment the 594, and not try to imitate it.

The acoustic was a present from my parents. I wanted an acoustic, but had to specify one I could take with me on high school band trips and such. One that if was broken/stolen it wouldn’t be too big of a deal. If not I’m sure Dad would have bought me a D28 or something he could borrow as much as possible haha.

Anyway the others I’m attached to, but they won’t be played much at this point. So I plan on selling them. Then adding a few more PRSi. First on the list will be either a 509, or something with soapbars. Unless the new S2 studio gets another run with birds. It might jump up the list.

My name is Matt. I am a PRSi addict. Formerly just a guitar addict. But now with a deeper addiction. Haha.

you've hit it perfectly nine (9) is the correct number of guitars.

I've done a rational critical careful analysis, and I have also settled upon 9, 9 is the logical cutoff, 9 is the perfect amount of guitars.
of course there's exceptions if you decide you want to be a true museum or a true collector.
I have been up to 12 and decided I have a severe problem, so let's make some rules.

1. It keeps you in single digits, I can always say; Oh yes of course I own less than 10 guitars, to friends, neighbors and coworkers. it stops them from calling psychological services, when you own double digit numbers of anything, you become a very suspicious person.
2. We all know number 9 is a magic number, and should be applied to magical instruments. Brahma is 9
3. it's the highest number we have so once you have 9 you actually can't go any higher, you have to go back down the ones and zeros.
4. John Lennon was born on October 9, number nine, number nine. number nine, number nine.
5. When I hit 10 guitars I automatically sell one.
6. the nice thing is I think you can actually rotate and play nine guitars, I think people with 20 guitars probably have to bury 10 of them in the backyard, or in a storage shed, for closet somewhere, simply cannot rotate them in. I actually lost one of my guitars when I had 12, where the hell did I leave that thing. oh well I'll find it one day, oh it's in the trunk of my buddies car, it will be okay there for a few months.

MVeZffj.png

1 Les Paul HP
2 PRS 594 WL/AP
3 JS 2410 Ibanez
4 Fender Deluxe strat (heel cut) yay
5 Hello Kitty squire
6 Micheal Kelly 50's telecaster (excellent)
7 Reverend Billy Corrigan
8 PRS Pauls guitar
9 PRS Fredrik Akesson... on loan.. :cool:

the next number that makes any sense to me is 99, :confused:

I like your thinking. However I also don’t like limits. I do plan to sell some. And buy some more. So around 9 seems reasonable. But who knows where I end up. One thing I do know is 2 PRSi is not enough. :)

you've hit it perfectly nine (9) is the correct number of guitars.

I've done a rational critical careful analysis, and I have also settled upon 9, 9 is the logical cutoff, 9 is the perfect amount of guitars.
of course there's exceptions if you decide you want to be a true museum or a true collector.
I have been up to 12 and decided I have a severe problem, so let's make some rules.

1. It keeps you in single digits, I can always say; Oh yes of course I own less than 10 guitars, to friends, neighbors and coworkers. it stops them from calling psychological services, when you own double digit numbers of anything, you become a very suspicious person.
2. We all know number 9 is a magic number, and should be applied to magical instruments. Brahma is 9
3. it's the highest number we have so once you have 9 you actually can't go any higher, you have to go back down the ones and zeros.
4. John Lennon was born on October 9, number nine, number nine. number nine, number nine.
5. When I hit 10 guitars I automatically sell one.
6. the nice thing is I think you can actually rotate and play nine guitars, I think people with 20 guitars probably have to bury 10 of them in the backyard, or in a storage shed, for closet somewhere, simply cannot rotate them in. I actually lost one of my guitars when I had 12, where the hell did I leave that thing. oh well I'll find it one day, oh it's in the trunk of my buddies car, it will be okay there for a few months.

MVeZffj.png

1 Les Paul HP
2 PRS 594 WL/AP
3 JS 2410 Ibanez
4 Fender Deluxe strat (heel cut) yay
5 Hello Kitty squire
6 Micheal Kelly 50's telecaster (excellent)
7 Reverend Billy Corrigan
8 PRS Pauls guitar
9 PRS Fredrik Akesson... on loan.. :cool:

the next number that makes any sense to me is 99, :confused:

Excellent!

When my wife asks, I just say if I played golf, you would’t expect me to have just one club.

That would so totally not work for me. :(

My wife’s laser beam eyeballs would kill me in an instant if I was foolish enough to try to distract her with analogies. What works for me is, “I make money with this stuff.”

There’s no arguing with royalties/production fees.

In 40 years of playing I only ever owned & used one electric guitar.
The first 23 years: Fender Strat
Next 17 years: Jackson Soloist (part x’d the Strat)

Then in 2015, due to several factors (not all of which I can reveal), I went crazy and bought 6. Since then I added a couple more.

Up until 2015, I was just a guitar player. I needed a guitar to make music & gig. The important thing was the music. The guitar is just a tool. I was never that interested in the tools.

At 2015: A substantial research into guitars, made me curious about many of them. I wanted to try them out, play them, compare them. That’s exactly what I did. I then bought the ones I liked. I had now become interested in the tools. That’s why I have a bunch of guitars now. I use them all. I like them all. 6 of them are working guitars (for playing out).

I have too many guitars. I certainly don’t need them all, but I don’t want to lose any of them.
The working guitars are:

Rickenbacker 650 Colorado

Hagstrom Deuce (rewired with switchcraft parts. Customised circuit))

PRS SE Custom 24

Squire Esprit (rewired. Creamery Pickups installed. New hardware)

Gibson Les Paul Less+

Gibson ES-339 Studio

They were all chosen most carefully from amongst many. All of them sound excellent. All of them handle beautifully.
I have no favourites (I do; but they change constantly). Three are cheap. Three are not cheap. None of them are better than the others. I enjoy using them all.
The main downside is they take up a lot of room, and I insist on having easy access to all of them.

Back