the Doors

captdg

This might seem like a stupid question, but I have yet to find a definitive answer on the Internet as my Google and other search engines are messed up.. Who was the Bass player on L.A. Woman or any song for the Doors?

Thank You.

Dave

Every time I use a search engine it sends me to an Ad Site. I have used every antimalware program I can think of but to no avail.

I believe it was played by Ray Manzeric(sic) with bass pedals/synth keys...of course I may be wrong, but as a teen I read a pile of Doors books and for some reason that seems to ring true to me.

According to Wikipedia...

Douglass Lubahn played on Strange Days and the next two albums; but the band utilized several other musicians for this role, often using more than one bassist on the same album. Kerry Magness, Leroy Vinnegar, Harvey Brooks, Ray Neopolitan, Lonnie Mack and Jerry Scheff are credited as bassists who worked with the band.

I thought they used more than one guy in the studio, but live, it was just the four of them.

Live, Manzerek used something called a Kee Bass (clever name, huh). It wasn't a synth bass, it was a two-octave electronic thing that sounded like a cross between organ pedals and a bad bass. But it worked. It had the strangest end panels you ever saw on either side of the white keys. They looked like the X ray glasses ads in the old comic books. Really weird. I think I removed that stuff and painted mine. The rest of it was black tolex. It had a hard cover thing that made it look like a typewriter when it was closed.

In the summer of 1969 I joined a band that didn't have a bass player, and got one of these devices. I played it with the left hand, through a bass amp, and a Hammond with the right hand through some contraption that wasn't a Leslie speaker because I couldn't afford one, but was kind of a cross between a guitar amp and a PA contraption.

We *thought* we were good. One day we opened at a festival out in the boonies somewhere in Michigan for Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. Who actually *were* good. I mean, really good. That's when I realized I had a looooong way to go.

I did get Bill Kirchen to teach me a lick when I ran into him in San Francisco a few years later. What a player!

Last edited:
Live, Manzerek used something called a Kee Bass (clever name, huh). It wasn't a synth bass, it was a two-octave electronic thing that sounded like a cross between organ pedals and a bad bass. But it worked. It had the strangest end panels you ever saw on either side of the white keys. They looked like the X ray glasses ads in the old comic books. Really weird. I think I removed that stuff and painted mine. The rest of it was black tolex. It had a hard cover thing that made it look like a typewriter when it was closed.

In the summer of 1969 I joined a band that didn't have a bass player, and got one of these devices. I played it with the left hand, through a bass amp, and a Hammond with the right hand through some contraption that wasn't a Leslie speaker because I couldn't afford one, but was kind of a cross between a guitar amp and a PA contraption.

We *thought* we were good. One day we opened at a festival out in the boonies somewhere in Michigan for Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. Who actually *were* good. I mean, really good. That's when I realized I had a looooong way to go.

I did get Bill Kirchen to teach me a lick when I ran into him in San Francisco a few years later. What a player!

I love anecdotes like this..When guys like you were figuuring everything out!

Back