The best and worst of PRS!!

I haven't trried them all, but of the ones I have tried I like most. Must be easy to please...

Favs: Dragon 1's (in all hog guits), #7's, 57/08's, Starla's, and yes I like the HFS.

Not Fav's: Dragon 2's, #6's

The same pickup can sound drastically different in different guitars. IMHO, you just have to find the right pickup for the guitar you're playing.

I was never a big fan of the HFS...

But my McCarty with stock pups always sounded great in my rig...

And my new DGT and its stock pups are getting big props from my other musician friends.

The 245 pups don't seem to be big favorites here, but in my SC245 they sound very nice!

Pups are so much personal taste... the good news is that there are a bunch to pick from!

M

John Beef said:
The same pickup can sound drastically different in different guitars. IMHO, you just have to find the right pickup for the guitar you're playing.

I agree! I didn't like the DGT pickups at all in my first DGT, so I initially formed a general opinion of dislike for them. However, with my DGT STD they sound incredible. I like 57/08s, too, but not in every PRS I've tried them in. I've also tried Throbak, Wolftone, and WCR pickups in a few PRS's with some great success as well, and I wouldn't go as far as to say the 57/08 is the best PAF-style ever made. They're certainly nice, but they sound best to me when they're in the right guitar. I'd love to try the 408s, too, but I can't buy a Sig Ltd. at the moment to justify doing that.....LOL.

sergiodeblanc said:
I am a big fan of the HFS, feel free to send me your unwanted pickups.
Same here. The VB/HFS combo in the right Cu24 (with a 5-way rotary of course! ;) ) is tonal bliss!

John Beef said:

+1 From this thread its clear Dragon II have no fans. I've got them in my SE semi-hollow and they sound fantastic. Very open sounding, not chimey but thick and clear. Definitely the guitar in this case because they never sounded that good in the CE they came out of.

I'd have to agree with the poster who pointed out that different pickups work for different styles of music, different amounts of gain, different players, different amps, etc. Obviously, the opinions in this thread simply reflect of the tastes of the people posting, and they're going to vary. In fact, it's likely that they change over time as people play different styles over the years.

With that, I'd agree that the 57/08s are incredible pickups. I love them in the Stripped 58 and CU22 SH Ltd., two very different guitars. That tells me that they really ARE wonderful! I'm also a big fan of the Artist V pickups. Their clarity and openness is wonderful, and they split beautifully. Gotta also give props to the Soapbars the PRS offered; I believe they were Duncans (?) but in any event they suited my guitars well.

The PRS pickups that worked least well for me were the ones that came with my old Artist II (I think they were just called "Artist" pickups; I kept wishing for something a little more vintage sounding), and the #6 pickups that came in the Singlecut Trem. I also had a hard time finding tones I liked with the #6s. Again, not saying either of these were bad at all, just not for me. And that's why PRS offers alternative choices, of course, as do third party manufacturers.

I never had a hard time with the ones that came in the Customs and Custom 22s over the years, and I liked the McCarty pickups a lot.

Next up will be 53/10s. ;)

My favorite pickups from PRS depends on the vibe I'm going for.

Narrowfields are awesome - on 10 they're P-90's and on 8.5 they're Fender tones with more beef and most importantly no noise.

The 408's are brilliant IMO. I've got a PS Sig and a LTD Sig and they're fantastic. The tapped tones are excellent. The bridge pickup tapped can get you a ballsy Tele tone.

5909 bridge pickup with a 5310 neck pickup is just about as good as it get for thick punchy humbucker tone while retaining warm and clarity. That's a stupid good pickup combination. I'm thinking my HB II needs this treatment.

i like the 57/08s but can't wait to hear the 59/09s i'll get next week
in my Goldie McRosie - any experience with that?
but my pup favs are Haeussel pups - specially the 1959 custom plus series!
watch the perfect spacing!

PUs-gold.jpg

I love the older non-engraved 57/08s the most. I really like my DGT bridge, the neck is a little woofy for me by itself (with gain, clean it's beautiful). I love the DGT neck split. I also like the 59/09. I need to try the 53/10s, for some reason I have not played anything with these.

My least favorite are the #6s. I just couldn't make them work in my singlecut trem.

I agree that it depends on the style and tone you are going for. I love the HFS and other hot pups for a high gain/heavy tone. My problem with higher output pups (not just PRS) is that they seem to loose the touch dynamics in lower to mid gain, and sound sterile clean IMHO.

I also really like the 408s, they cover so many things well. My finances dictate that it's going to be a long time before I can own a set.

Hans said:
strat63 said:
With the right amp, my favorites are still the original T & B's. The T cuts like no pickup I have ever had but it is a bit hard to control at times. A little on the bright side in my 86 CU24.

Not a huge fan of McCarty pickups but I could live with them.

It bears repeating... T-pups in a (pre)standard are the business!

They do go well in an all mahogany body.

+1 From this thread its clear Dragon II have no fans. I've got them in my SE semi-hollow and they sound fantastic. Very open sounding, not chimey but thick and clear. Definitely the guitar in this case because they never sounded that good in the CE they came out of.
I've been told that the Dragon 1 and 2 both have the SAME neck pickup. An alnico 4 8K paf style pickup.

And that only the bridge pickup changed.

The Dragon 1 used a ceramic magnet rather than alnico.

Not sure what's in the Dragon 2 bridge pickup.

Don't know if that's true or not. It's just something I was told.

To be honest, I didn't like either Dragon set - neck or bridge.

I tend to not like ceramic magnet pickups or alnico 4 pickups.

My favorite PRS pickups are the single coils in the SE Silver Sky and the USA made Silver Sky.

They're both different but both excellent.

Back