TELL ME ABOUT THE COCOBOLO NECK.

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
I'm interested in your opinion about the Cocobolo neck option. It looks sensational, no doubt. But as far as you can realize between your similar mahogany and your maple-necked guitars, how does your cocobolo neck differ? What does it do for your guitar?

Thanks!

that's an interesting topic. it sure looks amazing, but if I would guess bout it's sound, I would say it should be similar to IRW and BRW. just my 2 cents

This is what I wrote after having mine for a while.
This guitar has a solid mahogany back and two piece maple top with a pair of humbucking pickups. The guitar has an incredibly rich harmonic range. The low range harmonics are much more apparent than on most guitars, though they don't dominate the sound quite as much as the Brazilian rosewood I've played. The result is still a very earthy tone, but where the Brazilian rosewood tone can be almost sinister, the cocobolo is much more mothering - like Mother Nature herself wanting to wrap you in her arms. The sound is very well balanced through the guitar's range of four full octaves. If you are the kind of person who is inclined to play your feelings; this guitar is an excellent choice.

that's an interesting topic. it sure looks amazing, but if I would guess bout it's sound, I would say it should be similar to IRW and BRW. just my 2 cents

I only have one cocobolo neck, and while I like it, it doesn't seem to sustain as well as IRW or BRW (the latter is king for me).

I only have one cocobolo neck, and while I like it, it doesn't seem to sustain as well as IRW or BRW (the latter is king for me).

I can't disagree with that. I do like the sound of the cocobolo neck, but thinking about it, it might not have the same sustain as BRW. I'll try to do a comparison on my upcoming 4 day weekend.

I have a PS with a Cocobolo fingerboard and it's the schnitz. Neck is Maple. No clue if the Cocobolo just looks pretty, or if it contributes substantially, but the guitar is ultra light (Obeche body) but it oozes tone, thump and sustain. I attribute at least some of that to the fingerboard, but at the end of the day, I have no clue.

If you're looking for another neck option, I can highly recommend Ziricote which I know is offered by PRS. I have one on my PS, and not only is the sustain and response fabulous, the feel is unreal. With a tighter grain structure than BRW, it feels like silk....perfectly smooth, and is unfinished like BRW necks. It doesn't have quite the color and figuring of Cocobolo, but is still quite beautiful in its own way, with an unusual dark, rich color and tight grain structure.

Well, there is that.

I've drooled over this picture countless times. I love the sapwood stringer on the side. But aside from its beauty, you say it may dampen the sustain more that Brazzie or IRW. Good and interesting data.

If you're looking for another neck option, I can highly recommend Ziricote which I know is offered by PRS. I have one on my PS, and not only is the sustain and response fabulous, the feel is unreal. With a tighter grain structure than BRW, it feels like silk....perfectly smooth, and is unfinished like BRW necks. It doesn't have quite the color and figuring of Cocobolo, but is still quite beautiful in its own way, with an unusual dark, rich color and tight grain structure.

Noted! Thanks, AaeCee!

Hey 11 Top can we see the rest of that guitar?

I introduced ziracote neck wood to PS with this guitar. It's my favorite wood aesthetically, and while I really like it, I still prefer BRW tonally and for sustain.

Last edited:
Before and after
CK_JujuNeckWoodToGuitar.JPG

Thanks. It's a difficult topic for me because I don't own any rosewood-necked guitars of any species. It's such a beautiful wood, and I was deliberating over whether to specify it on a new build, but I've shied away from it for now. It's hard to say no to a good piece of maple.

Back