Taylor Solid body Line is discontinued

Gyro

They aren't PRS, but they were pretty nice. They apparently didn't sell well enough to justify the expense of the line.
I have a Taylor SB Classic. I thought I'd have the opportunity to get a few loaded pick guards, which was the nicest feature offered by these guitars.

I'm not overly concerned since I'm a proud owner of a '12 Custom 24 10 top and an '08 CE-22 Alder. no complaints on this end!

Congrats! You now have a 1958 Les Paul. All you have to do is wait another 50 years, and it'll be a classic. ;)

I will be dead then, so don't try to give me a hard time if I'm wrong.

The solid bodies came out in 2008 - after I was already hooked on PRS guitars.

I looked at them, but never even got to the plug in and try stage. They just didn't interest me enough.

Last edited:
They are amazing guitars, but over-priced new. I like mine for a change, but it won't replace my hollowbodies.

I really liked my Taylor Solid Body. I'm disappointed that you can't get anymore loaded pick guards for them. I think that's a real Service issue. They ran the race as well as they could and lost. Nothing to be ashamed of there. But, I called them yesterday and they told me they were re-designing the SB line. Me thinks that's not exactly true. Why throw good money after bad? They had a product which was about as good as it could get. They should have outfitted some big name gunslingers with the things. They never got traction.

Interestingly, I received the new E-mail from Taylor today with the latest news. The didn't say anything about ending the SB line. You could still access the SB section of their web site, but you need you ID and pass word to get in. Whatz up with that?

I took immense liking for the Taylor Solid Body. I am not at all satisfied that it is not possible to load pick guards for them, as well.

After asking questions of several Taylor Service techs and writing on various forums, I finally got a direct answer from Taylor regarding the ceasation of the SB line and loaded pickgards on the Taylor Facebook page.
They say the SB line has been discontinued. They apparently, consider the loaded pickgard an accessory, like a polishing cloth and no longer provide them. A lot of people bought these guitars because of the anticipated flexibility
the loaded plug and play pickgards would offer.

I'm not at all happy with the fact that there was no communication on the part of the great communicators at Taylor that this change was imminent. They will continue the warrantee coverage for customers who bought these guitars new.

I really like this guitar a lot. I wish everyone had a chance to play them. They would have been a big seller if the PR had been handled differently. Jim Messina was not my idea of a high powered star endorsor.

I have many electrics but my top 3 are my PRS Custom 24, My Taylor Solid body Classic and my Godin Session. Amazing when you consider I have a '67 SG Standard, '08 American STD Strat, a PRS CU-22 Alder and
a Godin Icon 2. The Taylor has the most playable neck and agreeable action of any of my guitars.

Guess, I have no choice but to continue enjoying my Taylor SB just the way it is.

I love my Taylor acoustic (510ce). Got it long before PRS joined the acoustic game.

I do like the new T5Z. Like the T5 original electric/acoustic hybrid, but smaller bodied. Leans more toward an electric. I guess the T5 line is their only entry into electrics these days.

I have a Taylor Solidbody Standard that I picked up used at a good price. It's a very well made guitar but I just never quite bonded with it. The neck is a bit wide for me and while I thought I would get used to it, I really never did.

Back