TALK TO ME: ARCHON WITH 16 OHM 212.

depending on which model you get, the half power switch does different things. On the 100 watt, it disables two of the 4 power tubes but operates in the same power mode. In the 50 watt, it switches from pentode (50) to triode (25). This changes the tone and feel more than the volume. Pentode = big, bold, punchy. Triode = smoother, less bottom and top end. Bluesy stuff in triode with alnico speaker.... ah, nice!

depending on which model you get, the half power switch does different things. On the 100 watt, it disables two of the 4 power tubes but operates in the same power mode. In the 50 watt, it switches from pentode (50) to triode (25). This changes the tone and feel more than the volume. Pentode = big, bold, punchy. Triode = smoother, less bottom and top end. Bluesy stuff in triode with alnico speaker.... ah, nice!
With that comment, you just earned level 4 Warlock status. I had no idea, but that’s some seriously useful info. Now I have no idea which one to get....

With that comment, you just earned level 4 Warlock status. I had no idea, but that’s some seriously useful info. Now I have no idea which one to get....

So, I’d love to go to Elvis’ house and compare my 50 with his 100. But, he hasn’t invited me and I’m not driving 4000 miles to find out he’s gone to get his hair done when I get there. Shy of that, I’d recommend the 50. It should be more than loud enough for anything. But I view the Triode mode as a very nice alternative “feel” and voice, that the 100 watt doesn’t have. The 25 watt would be awesome, but doesn’t come in head form, so for me... 50 watt head FTW.

If you play bluesy or even classic rock and want a softer feel and smoother tone, the Triode mode is a great feature... for some, it would be almost a whole different amp. If you would never want that, then go for the headroom of the 100 watt. But I’m glad I got the 50.

Pentode mode with two V30s is from hard rock to metal tones. Triode mode with Alnico is classic rock, blues and sweet sweet clean tones. Two cabs with a 50 watt is almost like having two different amps.

I remember when I used to sell stereo gear.
We had a whole room dedicated to speaker pairs.
My fav thing to do was to get a customer to pick a music type/style/band, close their eyes and tell me to stop when they liked what they heard whilst I switched speaker pairs.
It was rather interesting to see the varying types and costs chosen from big and small, to expensive and not.
My takeaway? It's subjective. I tend to want to match amp output with the speaker/cab, but that's not a law or a rule.

I don't know jack about ohms. I always look up directions for it when I go to connect cabs. :p

So, I’d love to go to Elvis’ house and compare my 50 with his 100. But, he hasn’t invited me and I’m not driving 4000 miles to find out he’s gone to get his hair done when I get there.

Definitely invited. If I'm getting my hair done, hang out on the hammock in the back until I get back.

I like the 100 because for me, stiffer is better, so headroom is key. I also don't like the triode mode for this reason. But I agree that the 50 would be loud enough and having the extra mode gives you more versatility.

Yeeehaaa! I've never been to California.

And yeah, the Triode mode is a different thing. A bit softer and smoother. I would say that if you wanted it to sound more "classic rock" or "old amp style" you go Triode and a greenback type speaker and it's perfect. Alnico, even better! Same for bluz. I liked it when doing some Jimi stuff with my Fulltone 69 as well and with the Mas Malo (muff type). While not radically different, it's certainly nice if you want to do other things with it and almost like a different version of the same amp.

Well hey, you'll see when I get there. :)

I use a PRS 100 watt Archon with a matching 2X12 PRS cabinet at 8 ohms.......GLORIOUS
Indeed it is. I have the pine cab. I want to hear it with the bigmouth cab, but they are very hard to find, and Les won't give me his. :(

My eyes do miss quite a bit these days!
OH trust me, when I saw the opening bid and BIN, I almost did BIN... then I saw IT. “Local Pickup Only.” And I thought... “hmmmm, if I had someone in Maryland that was close and that I knew, I’d buy it, have them pick it up, and then pick it up on my way to Experience.” Then I remember... I’m not going to experience. Plan spoiled!

OH trust me, when I saw the opening bid and BIN, I almost did BIN... then I saw IT. “Local Pickup Only.” And I thought... “hmmmm, if I had someone in Maryland that was close and that I knew, I’d buy it, have them pick it up, and then pick it up on my way to Experience.” Then I remember... I’m not going to experience. Plan spoiled!

It’s not too late!

Back