Swapping out PRS CU24 30th anniversary pickups

JElliott49

Hi, I'm having trouble working out how I go about changing the current 85/15 pickups in my PRS CU24 for some Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega pickups. The PRS has a 5 way blade switch (images attached). Could you please explain the color code of both the PRS and the SD pickups. Can the SDs be wired for split coil purposes? If not how should they be wired?

Thanks

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Wiring diagrams

What do you have on the Alpha and Omega, does it match this (PDF)?

Dibs if you sell the 85/15s.
Yup its the 4 wire one, red white black green. Haha potentially although i do really like the 85/15s.

From what I gather the Seymour Duncan color code is:
Black=Hot
Red + White= Series Link
Green= Ground

Do the Red + White on the SD replace the Red (Split) wires on the PRS and the Greens replace the the Black Bridge and the White Neck wires?

Last edited:
you will not be able to use the prs switch. that one is designed to work with prs pickups that sport the white/black/red/ground sleeve setup. on this setup the neck pick magnetic is flipped. go get a normal 5 way switch (stemware.com or guitar electronics.com) to use with the Seymour Duncan. 4 lead Duncan's can be coil tapped. Duncan has wire diagrams for the setup you want to do with tapping.

also, you can get a super-switch to do more pickup options.

you will not be able to use the prs switch. that one is designed to work with prs pickups that sport the white/black/red/ground sleeve setup. on this setup the neck pick magnetic is flipped. go get a normal 5 way switch (stemware.com or guitar electronics.com) to use with the Seymour Duncan. 4 lead Duncan's can be coil tapped. Duncan has wire diagrams for the setup you want to do with tapping.

also, you can get a super-switch to do more pickup options.

So there is no way of wiring it, even if i didn't want split coil

there are ways. you might not be able to use the current switch with the duncans. check this site. link

there are ways. you might not be able to use the current switch with the duncans. check this site. link
Yeah I've looked at most of these diagrams, the only one which may work seems to be the one for a super 5 way switch. But then it's difficult to work out the color codes. Read a thread on the SD forum where some guy had trouble for weeks trying to sort it out with no results. I think I might just get a simple 5 way switch and keep the PRS one for if I switch back to the 85/15s.

another good site is www.guitarelectronics.com. check the section on wiring diagrams. you can find a diagram that will split the coils and a number of other options. i would wire it with a 3 way slider and add a push/push tone pot to coil-tap. I like that setup the best for your control layout.

This is exactly what I'm after man, thanks so much. I was thinking there must be a way since they are fitted in Mark's signature PRS!

Hello to all, can someone provide me with a picture of the wire layout for a cu24 using the 5 way switch, I've been trying for days, trying to wire my se cu24 with a multiswitch with no luck. thank you guys in advance

Hi guys thank you all for the help I finally got my 5 way multiswitch to work. One quick question if I'm using the g&b pickups form my configuration whih would be as follows-- would I need to flip the magnet on my bridge or neck pickup. I'm using the G&B pickups. Thank you
  • Position 1: Bridge humbucker
  • Position 2: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil
  • Position 3: Bridge and neck humbuckers
  • Position 4: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil
  • Position 5: Neck humbucker

Thank you for the verification, I actually found out the hard way I reversed the wire , like you had suggested and all is good now. Thank you very much

I think I have to do the same, because my switch make noise when you rotate during play. I ear some pops. I ask Prs but someone says is normal. I´m trying to get a shematic for wiring my pickups (original) with superswitch.

What pickups you put on your prs?

I have one second guitar SE and I would like to change pickups.

Back