Swapping fretboards

broadcasterguy

Dear Forum,
You are probably going to think I am nuts.
I want to get a guitar with particular specs, and I am finding it very hard to locate.
I want to get:
All mahogany standard core body
24 fret with birds
Stoptail bridge

I can find a lot of guitars with some of some of the specs I need, but not all of them.
I know if I wait long enough, one or several will eventually come up. And for probably a pretty reasonable price, because of the standard body. But that could take a year or two. I need it by August.
I could do a custom order, but it will probably cost me $5,000 to $8,000. Even with the non 10 top. That is three to five times the value of a used guitar. I would have to be nuts.

I don't like to tamper with the originality of guitars, but I am considering buying two 24's.
One with dot inlays that has all the specs I need except the birds.
The second with none of the specs I need, but with a birds fret board.
Then paying a Luthier to heat up the fret boards re-glue them down and do a fret job on them if necessary.

I would then end up with the exact guitar I want and a second PRS guitar, for a fraction of the cost of a custom guitar.

Am I crazy?

Does anybody know a luthier that could do this?

Last edited:
I have had a new fretboard put on a guitar before and it can be done BUT I do not believe you will be able to get the fret board off intact and usable.
The ibanez I had done the fretboard came up in pieces
I believe you would be better off first asking all the fine dealer here to look for your dream guitar !! and asking on the other PRS forums ( Vintage Rocker and PRS Forums and Facebook )
Second would be a buying the guitar with the close spec and sending to PTC for custom inlays, awhile back someone had a cool one done with birds and moons as inlays

Here is the finished ibanez we got the fretboard from Stew Mac ( Ebony ) I went with the no inlay look for this guitar

This ^^^

Just pay to have the new board put on. Cheaper than paying for the sacrifice guitar and much better in the long run. I'm fairly sure the PTC will add a new board with birds to your existing PRS. They used to be an option on CE's so why not put them on now if you want them?

This page says that PRS will not replace or modify the fretboard on existing guitar. Is there another company that can do that?

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq.html

Maybe I will try emailing PRS to see if they will do it.

I called all the resellers on the Dealers and Distributors page and none of them have a Core 24 Standard with stoptail and birds.

I put a WTB ad on VintageRocker.com
I will try Facebook tomorrow.
Is there another PRS forum besides this site?

Thanks for your help

It's a very invasive piece of work, I have only seen it done where a structural repair requires it.

Is there a way you can order a guitar with the "right" board?

Dear Forum,
You are probably going to think I am nuts.
I want to get a guitar with particular specs, and I am finding it very hard to locate.
I want to get:
All mahogany standard core body
24 fret with birds
Stoptail bridge

I can find a lot of guitars with some of some of the specs I need, but not all of them.
I know if I wait long enough, one or several will eventually come up. And for probably a pretty reasonable price, because of the standard body. But that could take a year or two. I need it by August.
I could do a custom order, but it will probably cost me $5,000 to $8,000. Even with the non 10 top. That is three to five times the value of a used guitar. I would have to be nuts.

I don't like to tamper with the originality of guitars, but I am considering buying two 24's.
One with dot inlays that has all the specs I need except the birds.
The second with none of the specs I need, but with a birds fret board.
Then paying a Luthier to heat up the fret boards re-glue them down and do a fret job on them if necessary.

I would then end up with the exact guitar I want and a second PRS guitar, for a fraction of the cost of a custom guitar.

Am I crazy?

Does anybody know a luthier that could do this?

Uh Yes!

Back