Suspicion re: Used PRS CE

TerraRich

Hey gang. New to the forums. Upgrading my son's starter Charvel to a used PRS since he seems to be sticking with Jazz and Rock guitar. Bought what was listed as a Blue Matteo from 1995. Checking the plate on the neck, it seems to be from 2002 and also doesn't seem to be Blue Matteo. I popped the pickups and they seem standard for a 2002 (Vintage Bass and HFS), but the guitar also doesn't have reveal binding and the back also is stained. From what I have seen of 2002 CEs, they usually have a natural back and/or reveal binding. It has a pretty nice top, but I am suspicious. Couldn't find a 2002 catalog, so I was wondering if the community here has any insight into the 2002 CEs?

What is the serial number? A photo will help us a lot.

My kids have been playing classical guitar since they were little. My youngest just started taking School of Rock lessons and is on a half size Squire til he is bigger. Oldest started playing in middle school Jazz Band and seems to now prefer electric. I am hooking him up. I am more of a gear nut, but my wife and now kids think I should start taking lessons too.

You are correct, it is a 2002. The phase two locking tuners were a 2002 change and yours has them. I think the color is Royal Blue and that color has a "wrap around" style so no binding. The neck pick up should be uncovered so either it has bee swapped out or someone put a cover on it. She's a beauty. Your son should love it!

I think Bill hit it right...looks like a whale blue (maybe even royal blue?) that got a complete wrap finish. Nice one and congrats!!

My son had thought a Blue Matteo I had shown him was a cool color. I thought maybe these photos weren't lit well. Sure does look like Blue Whale to me, but like Bill SAS stated, looks maybe like it faded, giving an almost matteo like shine in spots.

Looks like royal blue to me.

Definitely not blue matteo.
<--- that's blue matteo on the 12 string in my avatar. ...and blue matteo guitars get a natural (unsteadiness) back.

Price is tempting.
CEs are great guitars!

Last edited:
After looking at my own photos of my Blue Matteo SAS, and other PRSi that are "Blue Matteo" and "Whale Blue", I agree that the CE here is probably Whale Blue.

But I will say that the stains are not that far apart: Whale Blue seems to use gray/black "highlights" while Blue Matteo uses white/light highlights, but the same or extremely similar "blue" base seems to be used.

E.g. from a couple that I grabbed off a Google search (one from this forum):

Whale Blue:
89TsfSl.jpg

Blue Matteo:
prs-cu24-blue-matteo-4.jpg

But then this is also listed as Blue Matteo:

img_5380_1.jpg

And this is my Blue Matteo SAS:
CPoUi37.jpg

I'm sure lighting and color balance have a lot to do with it, as well as the variations in staining a natural wood, and just "technique" of the stainer.

photo.php
I have determined that many resellers simply don’t know the colors nor know how to determine the year of production. We really wanted the lighter tone of Matteo, but are talking over the upside of this guitar. Not a 10 top, but close.

Guys, I still think it's royal blue. Maybe blue Matteo but not whale blue. Check the MODCAT!

What is the MODCAT? Is there a reason why Royal Blue got the wrap around?

How do you all embed photos in posts?

Back