Super NAD...and a Christmas Miracle!

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
After all of the trials and tribulations of my research then fruitless search for my next amp, I got a break. From mythical south-central Texas - and home of the Schlitterbahn - came a mint condition Super Dallas. Better than that, payment was sent on Thursday and despite the holiday shipping nightmare, it arrived yesterday! So, in the course of half of a week I found and took possession of the next amp. For me, that's somewhat miraculous. ;)

How do you like it so far?

The problem with the holidays is that there are usually too many people in your house to get an effective tone evaluation done. Doesn't everyone appreciate 110db sound checks? Tomorrow is the day.

Initial, extremely low volume, impressions are very good. Chime, definition, articulation, but dark. All with a cool low-end growl that blooms nicely with the addition of the EP Boost. A little Kalamazoo and I had a huge grin on my face. All this with the master as low as it could go (wife was watching TV in the next room). To me, this is where an amp sounds the worst and it really surprised me. I'll comment tomorrow after I get real work at real volume.

Congrats!!! Glad you finally found one. If you ever find something you want to change, Doug is just a phone call away. I will also say unaltered or modded, the Dallas loves the EP & the Kalamazoo.

Congrats!!! Glad you finally found one. If you ever find something you want to change, Doug is just a phone call away. I will also say unaltered or modded, the Dallas loves the EP & the Kalamazoo.
Thanks man and thanks for your help! Yeah, it's been a long search but it ended well. At least I have a few days before the next gig to get her dialed in.

One of the growing group of Boogie players adding a PRS amp to the mix.
I tend to think if it sound good at modest volumes it will rock when you crank it.
My thoughts, exactly. And since they'll probably be very different stable mates, the thought of gigging both heads crossed my mind. So much for a reduced load-in. ;)

An extra special shout-out to Martysnarf for fielding crazy rant-calls from me during the whole process. Both Jeff and Chris were VERY generous with their knowledge and gear. Further examples why so many people here are such great humans. :cool:

Last edited:
Congrats Boogie, I've been following this very closely and I am anxiously awaiting the tone report. I have been thinking about the HX/DA and wondering the differences between the two.

Congrats Boogie, I've been following this very closely and I am anxiously awaiting the tone report. I have been thinking about the HX/DA and wondering the differences between the two.

Thanks bud! TBH, I need to get an HXDA side by side with the SD. And to be completely honest, in the long run, I probably need both the SD and an HXDA. They are dissimilar animals. But for my current band needs, the SD, tonally, sits uniquely against the other guitarist's rig.

A complete tone report is coming soon. The New Year's eve gig should produce some good results. Perhaps I should start another thread for the tone report?

Congrats on the new amp!

I forgot which was your primary Mesa? Was it a Mark III? Which stripe?

trust me on this....I love my PRS Recording head but don't sell the Mesa. Variety is the spice of life!
It's a MkIII green stripe. Trust me, it's going nowhere. After being the love of my guitar life for so long, I could never leave her!
newampstack1.jpg

Back