Sunken Finish Pile On

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Inspired by another thread, show your gorgeous guitars with the finish sinking nicely into the wood!

Extra points if your gold top shows flame!

Let me kick it off with some sunken poly... '99 Custom 22 Soapbar

Very hard to photo (especially in my office)

6961952964_b8692c3901_b.jpg

6961996782_daec31c95c_b.jpg

Does the finish sink into the grain on the whole top? I think that would look pretty neat.

Some of my favorite PRS over the years had the finish beautifully sunken into the wood. What a great look.

DSC_0175.jpg

Don't have any other photos at hand where it shows but if you look closely you can see a little sunken finish happening between the pickups. It's gloss nitro and it does show better on the back with the mahogany's pores. Think it looks cool.

What I would like to do ideally would be to put together an animated GIF file of me turning my guitar through a light source. It's so obvious that way, but the stills barely pick it up. The wavey lines here should be much more straight. You can also see behind the bridge on the face of the guitar, the centerline where the top was joined/bookmatched, but once again, still photos just don't get it.

FlameFigure.jpg

what causes it? my santana brazilian i dont think has sunk at all. i'll have to look closer though

My brand new Black JA-15 had a sunken finish the day I got it. Same thing with my Private Stock HBII. It would seem that time isn't the only factor.

My nitro finish on my 09 Custom 24 GC45 has so sunken in so nice. The finish so incredibly thin. You can see the pours in the mahogany and a nice wavy pattern in the top. I can't get it to show in pictures.. :( but it's killer in person if you dig that sort of thing.

The Ratchet said:
This is one of those fetish's I don't get. If I ever saw my finish sinking into the guitar, off to the PTC it would go.
You don't have to get it when you've already got it.

Here's my Fire Red '87.

IMG_0002_zps4f3a1b0e.jpg

Last edited:
The Ratchet said:
This is one of those fetish's I don't get. If I ever saw my finish sinking into the guitar, off to the PTC it would go :mrgreen:

These finishes are not "sinking" - these guitars came out of the factory with extremely thin finishes which conform to the minute changes in the wood's surface. My '89 Custom's finish looks the same today as when I bought it new 20+ years ago.

Back