Studio Maniac Weirdo Amp Rig Thinking Out Loud...

László

Too Many Notes
Recent Recap: A while back, I decided to separate my heads and cabs, keeping the heads in my workstation area, and putting the cabs about 20 feet away for a variety of reasons that worked out fine. Having the amp heads in the workstation area means I can adjust levels and tone controls on the heads, and operate the recording gear (including hardware) without disrupting my workflow.

I have both heads hooked up to their respective cabs, and the inputs to both amps are wired up via a Lehle splitter box, so I can run either or both at the same time, and only have to connect one cable to my pedalboard to set up everything. So that's easy.

But I want to take this farther, and for that maybe you guys can make some suggestions on what's available once I explain what I want to do.

Here's a shot of the current setup. I recently discovered it's not terribly unlike Tim Pierce's setup (he's a very well known session player out of LA whose work is on probably 1000 major label records). Well, except that he has a ton more amps. And he's...you know...a much, much better player. But I digress.

Having the heads on a table top (mine's about 4.5 feet wide and 2 feet deep) means I can get to the controls on the top of each amp easily, and also get to the back of the amps easily. There's no having to pull the amps out of shelves to make connections or adjust settings on the rear of the amps, etc. I considered having shelves on wheels built, but what's the point if this works? The basket underneath holds cables, headphones, etc. The drawer the load box is sitting on pulls out as a work surface also.

So I want to talk about what I'd like to do to take this to another level. First, let's state that these aren't the only two amps I'm ever going to own, or bring into the studio for session work. I'm always adding gear, bringing in session players, etc. I actually have another table top of the exact dimensions of this one that I can use down the road, in my storage room for now.

What I want to do is be able to use either head with either cab, AND use either head with a load box like the Mesa Cab Clone that's sitting under the amp heads in that pull out shelf. In addition, if someone brings in a head for a session, or I get another one, I want to be able to add that to the system. And I want to be able to use cabs of different impedances. I'd like to keep the load box and the cabs hooked up to the system. The idea is that without having to re-cable, any amp can be patched electronically into any cab or the load box.

From this I conclude that what I need is some kind of head/cabinet switcher like the Palmer PTINO and others on the market like it, but one that will handle multiple heads and cabs, not just two heads and one cab.

Does this kind of thing exist? If so, I haven't been able to find it. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not really excited about having something custom built if it's avoidable.

EDIT: I may have found such a box. I didn't see one on the CAE site, but there's a German company called Ampete that makes a 4 amp, 4 speaker cab, switcher that does the electronic switching I'm talking about, though its limitation is 1 amp at a time into 1 or 2 cabs. I've never heard of this company, but one never knows...I'll do more research and report back. It's around $1800, 2 rack spaces. Might work for what I'm thinking about.

Meantime, I'm still interested in suggestions.

Last edited:
My local shop has such a beast. I believe it was custom made. I can put out a feeler if you like. PM coming...

I thought of this guy when I started reading your post. Yep, sounds like that's what you could use.

Last edited by a moderator:
This unit is around $300 and can switch between three heads. Now you just need to figure out how to switch between cabs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LE1AT3

Lehle 1 at 3

I have the Lehle splitter for my two heads, so for now I don't need one with switches, though I will when I add another amp, and in fact you and I think alike, because yesterday I made room on my pedalboard for the Lehle SGOS 1at 3 you've linked!

Thanks for that link, LJD, yes it looks like the Ampete would be the perfect solution! :top:

Plus I have an extra rack for it and some other rack gear that's in storage!

Maybe email Daniel?

http://www.thegigrig.com/

He's had videos up with switching between several amps and combinations of, demonstrating how pedals sound different with different types.
This is all way above me in actual practice....I just enjoy their videos

Maybe email Daniel?

http://www.thegigrig.com/

He's had videos up with switching between several amps and combinations of, demonstrating how pedals sound different with different types.
This is all way above me in actual practice....I just enjoy their videos

Those are simply pedalboard switchers, and switchers from instruments or pedalboards INTO amps. I've got that covered.

I'm talking about switching between tube heads and speaker cabinets. That requires a dummy load, and fairly sophisticated switching, especially if you don't want loud pops and bangs into your headphones when recording! It's a whole different world from the front end stuff that gig rig does.

I have the Lehle splitter for my two heads, so for now I don't need one with switches, though I will when I add another amp, and in fact you and I think alike, because yesterday I made room on my pedalboard for the Lehle SGOS 1at 3 you've linked!

haha, great minds think alike!

I think the problem that I would have is that my cabinets have different speaker impedance; some are 8 ohm and some are 16 ohm.

haha, great minds think alike!

I think the problem that I would have is that my cabinets have different speaker impedance; some are 8 ohm and some are 16 ohm.

I have that same problem.

Ampete's manual says it won't matter with their equipment, however, it would cause me to lose sleep, so assuming I get one of these after I find out more, I'll make sure any cabs and load boxes I hook up to it are the same impedance.

Mostly I run 8 ohm gear, only one cab is 16, the PRS 1x12 pine cab. I can always replace the speaker with an 8 ohm version.

I've always thought about doing something like this. I have a bunch of heads and cabs, and it really would nice if it were easier to switch configurations.

I think that I'd prefer a low-tech solution. If I ever get around to it, I'm going to make up a nice 19" patch panel with labeled jacks for cabs and heads and just wire the panel to the appropriate places. Want to dial up the DG30 with a Marshal 1960AHW? Just patch those two jacks together and you're good to go. Although this approach requires that you not screw up and forget to adequately load a head before playing it, I somehow think it would be safer in real life than an electronic switching solution.

I've always thought about doing something like this. I have a bunch of heads and cabs, and it really would nice if it were easier to switch configurations.

I think that I'd prefer a low-tech solution. If I ever get around to it, I'm going to make up a nice 19" patch panel with labeled jacks for cabs and heads and just wire the panel to the appropriate places. Want to dial up the DG30 with a Marshal 1960AHW? Just patch those two jacks together and you're good to go. Although this approach requires that you not screw up and forget to adequately load a head before playing it, I somehow think it would be safer in real life than an electronic switching solution.

I've seen that in some studios. The problem is that I've seen people make mistakes and need to have their gear fixed.

Really, the safest solution is probably what I'm already doing, namely, plugging a cable directly from head to cab, and leaving it at that. But in the middle of a session, taking the guitar off, putzing around in the back of the head, remembering to put the plug into the right jack, then going to the other cabs to switch the plugs, well sure, takes only a few seconds, but...kind of interrupts the creative flow. Heck, even a manual patchbay is pretty much the same thing. At the very least, you'd have to put the amp in standby or turn it off because a patchbay has no load attached. So you're still dinking around instead of simply moving on to the next track while the musical idea you have is still fresh in your mind.

In fact, I've accidentally screwed up by plugging my HXDA into an 8 ohm load when my usual cab is 16 ohms with that amp, and forgetting to switch the plug on the back of the amp from the 16 to the 8 ohm tap. And that's a pretty easy mistake to make, though fortunately, I caused no damage to the amp or cab.

I think that's what's attractive about the electronic solution. You have the switcher next to your workstation, press a button or hit a footswitch with a preset, and you're off to the races. Of course, there's still the issue of matching impedances. Ampete says it's not a problem, but it still concerns me.

I know that for most amps, a 16 ohm speaker is a safe mismatch for the 8 ohm tap, but not vice-versa.

Last edited:
Les, I've been giving this some thought, and this is what I've come up with:

$1800 is a lot of money. Sorry to be a killjoy, but it kind of is.

I would settle on running each head with a dedicated cabinet. Get the $300 Lehle 1at3 and silently switch between three amps, and just enjoy that flexibility. You can swap around cabinets ahead of time if you really need a certain combination.

You even have enough money left over to buy that second Grissom cabinet. :)

Last edited:
Les, I've been giving this some thought, and this is what I've come up with:

$1800 is a lot of money. Sorry to be a killjoy, but it kind of is.

I would settle on running each head with a dedicated cabinet. Get the $300 Lehle 1at3 and silently switch between three amps, and just enjoy that flexibility. You can swap around cabinets ahead of time if you really need a certain combination.

You even have enough money left over to buy that second Grissom cabinet. :)

Hmmmm...you have a good point.

One thing to factor into the equation, however, is that the Ampete also eliminates the need for the 1 at 3, or anything that might be needed to switch an input into an amp. It automatically switches the input to any of the heads. If I ever use amps with effects loops (I usually don't use loops, even with amps that have them), it also routes the loop into any amp with a loop, OR into the front of the amp! I learned this after reading the manual and watching all the demos online.

So it's not merely a one-trick pony. If you factor the cost of a $300 switcher pedal, and add the cost of a good cab, you're well over a grand in any event.

Still, you make sense. I'll think things over carefully.

Les, are you concerned about over gizmo-izing your rig? Being of a somewhat engineering background, I've made all sorts of switchers with relays and stuff (even a fiber optic guitar cable) and ended up back at the tradition cable method. And when it comes to speaker loads and trusting your amp's power stage to this technology, is it worth the risk? One wrong move or accidental mismatch and you can burn up a power transformer, which will suck once the DG and HXDA become irreplaceable one-of-a-kind classics.

Don't get me wrong, that flexibility from the convenience of your pedalboard will be totally cool. But I'd have to be convinced that this switcher was bulletproof.
/negative-Nancy mode

Les, are you concerned about over gizmo-izing your rig? Being of a somewhat engineering background, I've made all sorts of switchers with relays and stuff (even a fiber optic guitar cable) and ended up back at the tradition cable method. And when it comes to speaker loads and trusting your amp's power stage to this technology, is it worth the risk? One wrong move or accidental mismatch and you can burn up a power transformer, which will suck once the DG and HXDA become irreplaceable one-of-a-kind classics.

Don't get me wrong, that flexibility from the convenience of your pedalboard will be totally cool. But I'd have to be convinced that this switcher was bulletproof.
/negative-Nancy mode

Well, it's not negative advice, it's sensible advice, and I am considering it.

On the other hand, using the old tried and true methods, I still managed to make errors hooking up cabs to amps over the years. I'm sure that from time to time, many of us have. I'm actually pretty lucky that I didn't damage anything. Some examples: I've disconnected cabs to connect them to other amps, and a day or so later, forgotten I've done that, and switched amps on with no load. I've connected lower-ohm cabs to higher-ohm taps, another potentially costly error. I've forgotten to put amps in standby, or turn them off, disconnecting cabs.

In other words, I've accomplished lots of the errors that the hardware switcher makes one worry about, and I've done it without the hardware switcher! Fortunately, I've somehow never damaged an amp! Which goes to show ya how well built modern amps are, I guess.

And I don't even want to think about all the crazy stuff I tried out of ignorance when I was a kid in the 60s playing gigs...

But you're right about the amps I have currently becoming irreplaceable.

On the other hand, I just had heart bypass surgery, and trusted my existence to a heart and breathing machine that would have killed me if it had malfunctioned. And yet, it didn't. I mean, these are amps, not life itself. I took a greater chance with me than my amps would with a switch box, let's face it. The amps will outlive me by many years.

So I will think it over.

And it's also the experience you want to present to clients that you have over. If you make it painless enough -- I mean, it's hard enough working with them as it is, each of them with their own vocabulary, that's the real trick -- it'll pay for itself in terms of repeat customers.

Just another thing to consider. I understand the value of such an arrangement.

I went with a Radial headbone head switcher and a two loop pedal switcher midi controlled. All controlled with a tc electronics g system. I love it, especially the fact that the g system has two relay outputs. I Y connected one into my main amp to control channels and the other into the Radial for amp selection. And midi to route the effects loop. I love my new setup. Especially when considering the diversity of two amps.

Back