Strings Buzzing

kurrykid

I picked up my 594 SE brand new last week. I put PRS Locking Tuners and changed the strings (9-42). Since then, my strings are buzzing pretty bad. Especially on the bass strings side. Can it be that I just need to lift the bridge a little bit or is it more complicated than that? If I should adjust the bridge, how many turns on the bridge turnung knobs? Are they real sensitive so just barely turn them or do you need to turn a lot to move a little?

Thanks for any help.

KK

Hey man that guitar is supposed to come stock with 10-46 guage strings. Even the SE. So 9-42 is significantly less tension on the neck and it's bowing back probably. Press down the first and last fret, is there any gap around the 9th fret? Doesn't need to be much but about the width of a business card should be there. Pop some 10's back on or adjust the truss rod. Don't touch the bridge.

There's a little bit of space but doesn't appear to be much. I thought I read it came with 9's but they certainly felt like 10's. Thanks for the advise of not touching the bridge...appreciate it. As far as the truss rod, I have never adjusted one myself so I wouldn't be sure on how to do that. I guess I should take it in for an adjustment as I'd like to leave 9's on it.

Thanks.

There's a little bit of space but doesn't appear to be much. I thought I read it came with 9's but they certainly felt like 10's. Thanks for the advise of not touching the bridge...appreciate it. As far as the truss rod, I have never adjusted one myself so I wouldn't be sure on how to do that. I guess I should take it in for an adjustment as I'd like to leave 9's on it.

Thanks.
If you try the truss rod adjustment yourself, just do a small turn at a time until it’s where you want. Think of the wrench as the hour hand on a clock and move it an hour or an hour and a half. It doesn’t take much.

Yeah, the guys are right. The guitar probably had 10's on it but when you switched to 9's the string tension was reduced and the "relief" in the neck was lost. I put a capo on at the first fret, then hold the low E down at the highest fret, and see if there's enough space between the underside of the string and the the frets in the middle of the neck to slide a guitar pick in there. I use a Fender medium as a feeler gauge. The amount of relief varies. You might need more relief or less. But you almost always need some for the strings not to buzz.

Yeah, the guys are right. The guitar probably had 10's on it but when you switched to 9's the string tension was reduced and the "relief" in the neck was lost. I put a capo on at the first fret, then hold the low E down at the highest fret, and see if there's enough space between the underside of the string and the the frets in the middle of the neck to slide a guitar pick in there. I use a Fender medium as a feeler gauge. The amount of relief varies. You might need more relief or less. But you almost always need some for the strings not to buzz.
There is not enough room...the guitar pick gets pinched. So if the gap between the fret and the string is too small, I turn it to the left (clockwise) to widen the gap? How many turns should concern me? I moved it about 2 turns (a turn is defined as moving it as far as I could in the little space allowed to move the wrench) and its still buzzing. I don't want to damage anything.

There is not enough room...the guitar pick gets pinched. So if the gap between the fret and the string is too small, I turn it to the left (clockwise) to widen the gap? How many turns should concern me? I moved it about 2 turns (a turn is defined as moving it as far as I could in the little space allowed to move the wrench) and its still buzzing. I don't want to damage anything.
I think I have it backwards watching the video above again. If I need to create a bigger gap, I need to turn right (counter clockwise) I think.

You want to loosen the nut not tighten it. Clockwise usually tightens and counter clockwise usually loosens.

What kind of tool are you using? A nut driver would be best. It's worth buying one if you don't have one.

9/16" works on my USA made guitars but being an import, yours is probably metric.

Take your guitar down to hardware store and get the right tool if you don't have one.

Here's mine. I bought it 55 years ago to adjust the truss rod of my Gibsons.

Last edited:
You want to loosen the nut not tighten it. Clockwise usually tightens and counter clockwise usually loosens.

What kind of tool are you using? A nut driver would be best. It's worth buying one if you don't have one.

9/16" works on my USA made guitars but being an import, yours is probably metric.

Take your guitar down to hardware store and get the right tool if you don't have one.

Here's mine. I bought it 55 years ago to adjust the truss rod of my Gibsons.

I have the wrench that came with the guitar so I am good there.

Thanks.

Back