Stringing the tremolo

NIKS1

Hi; 1st thread, thanks for having me! Just did a setup on my 93 ce24. Ernie ball slinky 10s. After threading new strings through the trem block, the wrap coming off the ball is too long, the string doesn't break clean and sit flush to the front of the saddle. It sits up on the extra wrapping, raising the string action. It's very noticeable on the wound strings. I never noticed this on any of my PRS guitars over the years.

If it hasn't done this on any other trems, or on this guitar in the past, you must have a set of strings that have a longer wrap than usual. If the wrap on Ernie Balls is longer than, say, D'Adderio's? You may not prefer them but if so, a swap would fix the problem.

I have had to tighten the ball end on a string or two ( twist them shorter ) over the years

I have the same issue with my two PRS guitars, both a bit older than yours but possibly fitted the same trem block (although by ‘93 I think they were just starting to change to the two-piece blocks made by Excel, so possibly not). I slip an old string ball over each string before restringing and that solves the problem. Dan Erlewine suggests the same for top-wrapping a stop bar on a LP to stop the windings breaking if they contact the back of the bridge (see page 79 of his How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great, second edition). I use it when top-wrapping my LP as well as on my two PRS to stop the issue you mention. The issue is caused as the blocks are drilled quite deeply to minimise the length of dead string sitting in the trem block as a design feature.

Yep; thanks, I did that, works great. I was thinking all that was needed was a spacer. Cut the ball ends off the old strings, see if they slide all the way down the new string over the wrap, then hopefully they fit all the way into the trem. block hole. Beautiful! Only needed them on 4 strings.

As a footnote, I think it might be as simple as EB strings have an extra-long wrap. I’ve used EB Super Slinky 9-42s as long as I can remember (other than a bit of recent experimenting with DR Blues) but just put a set of D'Addario 8-38s on one of my PRS guitars and Ernie Ball 8-38s on the other (more experimenting). The EBs needed the string ball to keep the wrap from breaking over the saddle but the D'Addarios didn’t…

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it Mr Schefman is the voice of reason/wisdom. I concur, “make it so no.1” :D

Yes inclined to agree – thinking I’m not too sure about these 8-38s on my Custom although they seem better on my all mahogany guitar.

Yes inclined to agree – thinking I’m not too sure about these 8-38s on my Custom although they seem better on my all mahogany guitar.
Way too light for me, I’m a 10-42 guy. I’m considering using a slightly heavier gauge again just to see what tones I’ll get.

Back