Strap pin keeps backing itself out...

The stock strap pins on my 245 keep backing themselves out. I'd say it's because of a thick strap, but I use the same kind of strap on my McCarty & Cu 24 and have no issues.

I'm thinking about trying to glue the screws in...

If Paul would put the little felt ring between the strap button and the body this wouldn't happen...;):p

I've had this happen but it was on used guitars. Button screw was shorter than stock, put the correct screw in and it's fixed

Surprisingly, some manufacturers don`t use the felt pads, because they feel they change the tone. I had a d`Aquisto years ago (no, not Chinese)) with no felt pads. Most beautiful arch top ever made, but the finger board radius killed my hands every single gig. Went bye-bye in the divorce. No real loss, other than eye candy. Any way, it`s also toothpicks here.

I'm thinking about trying to glue the screws in...
Add a touch of wood glue to the toothpicks and install the button while the glue is wet and you won't have this problem again.

On the most stubborn guitars (I have 2 that continually back out) I've used glue and toothpicks. But the final fix was using a square drive finishing screw about 2.25" long and not drill out the hole first. It's not self-tapping but it's so sharp, it cuts right through. It hasn't backed out in 2 years of gigs. If my SE One backs out anymore, I'll install a teflon washer instead of felt. FYI, I'm using Schaller strap locks.

On the most stubborn guitars (I have 2 that continually back out) I've used glue and toothpicks. But the final fix was using a square drive finishing screw about 2.25" ...

Oh man. You're brave, boog.

Back