Starting to hate Gold Pup Covers...

newfmp3

I have a 2011 Cu24 Experience model with covered 59/09's on them. Got it in July, it really hasn't been played much. I am just a hobbiest at home playing when I can and I actually hurt both hands in Sept which has kept me from playing right up to this week.

Anyways. The gold on the pup covers sucks. I do not know how else to say it. Its the only thing on the entire guitar that has let me down. It marks very easy, tarnishes easy etc. So can I protect it somehow from getting worse? or I guess I could replace them with chrome ones although I am not sure what is involed there? are they waxed? or just remove them all together but I really want covers on there. What sucks is that these are etched with the 59/09 on them too so if I remove them, thats gone. A Little thing but...

And if I replace the covers, am I effecting the prs warranty?

Perhaps the PTC can swap you chrome covers engraved with the "Experience 2011" and you can keep some of that special vibe and get away from the gold.

Perhaps the PTC can swap you chrome covers engraved with the "Experience 2011" and you can keep some of that special vibe and get away from the gold.

This, if possible. ^^^

Changing pup covers isn't too difficult. Quite a few vids on Y'tube. You'll need a soldering iron and a sharp blade as well as some kind of clamps. The main thing to watch out for is making sure that the covers are the correct size. The pups probably will be wax potted i'd imagine. Certainly, if the new cover isn't put on properly then you could have some issues. If in any doubt then any pup winder or good tech should be able to do that for you no problem.

That's a great guitar you have and I'd leave it as is. You shouldn't worry about scuffed pickup covers. It's all part of normal play wear.

That's a great guitar you have and I'd leave it as is. You shouldn't worry about scuffed pickup covers. It's all part of normal play wear.

A lot of people pay for that look! I'm getting some wear on the low E side of my bridge pup already. Looks pretty cool to me.

I can understand though if you wish to keep it pristine looking.

Chrome would be the way to go but watch out if the rest of the hardware is nickel. Or is the rest of the hardware gold plated? You may wind up with a mis-match...

... The gold on the pup covers sucks. I do not know how else to say it. Its the only thing on the entire guitar that has let me down. It marks very easy, tarnishes easy etc. So can I protect it somehow from getting worse? or I guess I could replace them with chrome ones although I am not sure what is involed there? are they waxed? or just remove them all together but I really want covers on there. What sucks is that these are etched with the 59/09 on them too so if I remove them, thats gone. A Little thing but...

I found a rubbing compound that shines gold well. They polish up and the streaks are gone. Try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eternalshin...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=170774737813&ps=54

This, if possible. ^^^

Changing pup covers isn't too difficult. Quite a few vids on Y'tube. You'll need a soldering iron and a sharp blade as well as some kind of clamps. The main thing to watch out for is making sure that the covers are the correct size. The pups probably will be wax potted i'd imagine. Certainly, if the new cover isn't put on properly then you could have some issues. If in any doubt then any pup winder or good tech should be able to do that for you no problem.

that definitely sounds like something that would effect warranty. Not worth it right now.

I've not had a problem with gold pickup covers or parts on a PRS. Tarnishing is simply oxidation, and gold doesn't oxidize; they find gold that's been buried for thousands of years, or gold at the bottom of the ocean that's still new-looking.

It's relatively inert stuff, which is why certain electronics parts are plated with it - to prevent oxidation.

So maybe you've somehow worn through the plating, as gold is very soft and scratches easily; or perhaps the covers just need to be wiped down with a soft cloth more often. Then, too, some folks' body chemistry wears gold plating right off. The good news is that pickup covers and pickups can be easily replaced.

I really like the brushed gold pickup covers on my SC58; it's an almost vintage look. But then, I like the look of worn gold plating on an old guitar.

Yeah, hopefully it just needs to be polished.

Hated gold plated part on a guitar for a long while but i've seen a few lately that just look fantastic. Personally, i'm a big fan of the way Nickel tarnishes.

gold pups look great, no doubt. I wonder what prs uses on their covers to clean them? I do not want to try just anything in fear it'll take the gold off.

I hate gold hardware because of this. my sweat will make it un-gold near instantly. It's just the nature of gold hardware.

Back