Stairway to Heaven in copyright trial

Only if I get to sue people who play badly.

A copyright registration form is a prerequisite to filing a lawsuit. So unless you've done that, you're out of luck.

On the other hand, this is America, and you can sue anyone, as long as you know that the loser in a copyright case pays the winner's costs and legal fees.

So...

You know...

Maybe...

Actuality it was written over 300 years ago by an italian composer Giovanni Battista Granata in 1659 in a sonata for guitar and violin. And the guitar progression and the violin melody are more similar to Stairway than to Spirit's composition.

Listen and you will hear it when the violin joins in. If you can't stand the wait on the intro, just jump to about 30 seconds in.

Last edited:
Face it folks, this isn't about the song, it's about the money...

Yes, of course it’s about the money, since the exclusive rights protected by a copyright are purely economic.

Copyrights grant an exclusive economic monopoly to the copyright owner for a certain period of time. Copyrights were intentionally created by the Founding Fathers as economic rights, to provide incentives for people to create things.

Therefore, the statute on which the copyright is based provides only for an award of economic damages. No plaques or Grammy trophies are awarded to the winner. Only money. That’s it. That’s the limitation of copyright law. Bragging rights are not included in the law.

The background is that copyright law and remedies are purely creatures of statute. The power to establish a copyright law was expressly included Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution of 1787; that power was given to Congress. And one of the first things that Congress did was pass copyright laws.

A copyright lawsuit is filed to force the loser to disgorge their ill-gotten profits or get statutory damages, as a disincentive for people to profit over other people’s creative works during the period of exclusivity of the monopoly.

But it’s not only copyrights. Every corporate lawsuit is about the money. Every contract lawsuit is about the money. Every employment lawsuit is about the money. Every personal injury lawsuit is about the money. I could go on, but most lawsuits are about the money. Most suits for injunctive relief are about the money. Criminal laws put people in jail for stealing money. Money is a big deal.

So yes. A copyright lawsuit is about the money, because the economic value of an exclusive monopoly on the creative work is the purpose of the copyright.

All that aside, it’s fairly clear to me that Led Zep did not steal that song.

Last edited:
Yes, of course it’s about the money, since the exclusive rights protected by a copyright are purely economic.

Copyrights grant an exclusive economic monopoly to the copyright owner for a certain period of time. Copyrights were intentionally created by the Founding Fathers as economic rights, to provide incentives for people to create things.

Therefore, the statute on which the copyright is based provides only for an award of economic damages. No plaques or Grammy trophies are awarded to the winner. Only money. That’s it. That’s the limitation of copyright law. Bragging rights are not included in the law.

The background is that copyright law and remedies are purely creatures of statute. The power to establish a copyright law was expressly included Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution of 1787; that power was given to Congress. And one of the first things that Congress did was pass copyright laws.

A copyright lawsuit is filed to force the loser to disgorge their ill-gotten profits or get statutory damages, as a disincentive for people to profit over other people’s creative works during the period of exclusivity of the monopoly.

But it’s not only copyrights. Every corporate lawsuit is about the money. Every contract lawsuit is about the money. Every employment lawsuit is about the money. Every personal injury lawsuit is about the money. I could go on, but most lawsuits are about the money. Most suits for injunctive relief are about the money. Criminal laws put people in jail for stealing money. Money is a big deal.

So yes. A copyright lawsuit is about the money, because the economic value of an exclusive monopoly on the creative work is the purpose of the copyright.

All that aside, it’s fairly clear to me that Led Zep did not steal that song.
sounds like a ruling to me, your honor.

Hmmm....
Led Zep....
Jimmy Page....

(Thinks about cutting and pasting the post that earned the permanent MLP ban...)

:eek:

Back