Stairway to Heaven in copyright trial

The plaintiff is trying to keep himself from hanging on the gallows pole.
I hear there's no extradition from Kashmir. Although, he probably wouldn't get a whole lotta love from the local population. I don't know, the whole thing sounds like a huge communication breakdown. Regardless, the Zep boys finally got their celebration day. Wonder if they're going to celebrate with some custard pie, or just head down by the seaside to celebrate with brandy and coke? Then again, maybe they're going to California on a night flight to hang with some friends and have a hot dog. Although, if it keeps on raining they may just sit out on the tiles and ramble on about what is and what should never be. While they're out west I sure hope there isn't an earthquake. The ocean could rear up. That could be disasterous. When the levee breaks they could be trampled under foot. I guess you never know when you time is gonna come.

Well, you know, good times, bad times...

But there's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold. And Zep gets to keep theirs.

Incidentally, the loser in a copyright case has to pay the winner's attorneys' fees. So that'll be interesting, the court awards them in a separate hearing (not the jury).

Well, you know, good times, bad times...

But there's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold. And Zep gets to keep theirs.

Incidentally, the loser in a copyright case has to pay the winner's attorneys' fees. So that'll be interesting, the court awards them in a separate hearing (not the jury).
I heard the loser went over the hills and far away.

Now guys, cut out all this crap, I'm going to ramble on over the hills and far away but hey hey, what can I do? :D:p

Enough-is-Enough-2015.jpg

That's April Wine - I'm sure the mods will move this to the April Wine thread. It shouldn't have been in here - must have been a communication breakdown. It happens - you have good times, bad times.

Really, stop it now. I'm sat here in front of a blazing log fire in my Kashmir pullover looking through the window at that Fool In the Rain, it's like The Ocean out there. Stuff him, I'm going to bed!!

Led Zeppelin Publishing Company Seeks $613,000 in Attorney Fees After Court Victory

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-...es/?trackback=blogroll_widget-latest-articles

Malofiy ultimately earned more than 100 sustained objections in Led Zeppelin’s six day trial, along with multiple admonishments from judge R. Gary Klausner. In addition to a suspension from practicing law, Malofiy was also hit with $28,000 in fines from Diamond. He appealed, but the suspension was upheld by an appellate panel.

Led Zeppelin Publishing Company Seeks $613,000 in Attorney Fees After Court Victory

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-...es/?trackback=blogroll_widget-latest-articles

Malofiy ultimately earned more than 100 sustained objections in Led Zeppelin’s six day trial, along with multiple admonishments from judge R. Gary Klausner. In addition to a suspension from practicing law, Malofiy was also hit with $28,000 in fines from Diamond. He appealed, but the suspension was upheld by an appellate panel.

Federal courts award attorneys' fees against the losers routinely in intellectual property cases; copyrights are among those where immediately post-trial, a motion for attorneys' fees is filed as a matter of course. The idea is to deter specious suits, etc.

The problem is collecting the award...

Back in the day when I still actively was involved as a lawyer in copyright cases, one of my clients and his co-defendants (there were 5 or 6 at one point) were awarded over half a million dollars in fees, including an award against the attorney on the other side. We collected next to nothing. The other side didn't have any assets, including the lawyer.

The case, which never should have been brought by the other side in the first place, went to appeal, where the judgment and attorneys' fee awards were upheld, and cert. was denied by the Supreme Court.

The whole thing was a needless headache for the labels, the publishers, the artists, and the writer. It was wrong as wrong can be.

Last edited:
Back