Spring with guitar

thegummy

I just bought an SE Custom 24 and in the little bag with the whammy bar there was a spring.

Does anyone know what it's for or what to do with it?

It's either a spare, if you want to increase the tension (that counterbalances the strings), or if it's a different strength than the others, if you want to fine-tune the tension.

It's either a spare, if you want to increase the tension (that counterbalances the strings), or if it's a different strength than the others, if you want to fine-tune the tension.

Cheers Dusty.

So where would it go? Underneath the bridge? Would that be via the removable back panel?

Mine came with 4 springs installed, with room for a fifth.

Cheers, that's what it is. I had a look under the back panel and there is 4 installed with space for a 5th.

What would the difference be? The whammy bar would be more resistant?

There is a balance between spring tension and string tension. It varies with tuning and string gauge.

The trem bridge has an optimum float position. There are specifications to set it correctly:
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Lower tunings and lighter strings require less spring tension. Higher tunings and heavier strings require more spring tension.

Are you taking lessons? A good instructor can help you navigate the parts of your guitar, understand how things work and why. All of which can lead to better playing and enjoyment.

Getting your info piecemeal, one question at a time is going to hold you back. This a friendly forum and people are glad to help. But you may be hampered by not knowing what you don't know, thus not even knowing which questions to ask.

An instructor can cover lots of ground in just a very few introductory lessons...

Last edited:
There is a balance between spring tension and string tension. It varies with tuning and string gauge.

The trem bridge has an optimum float position. There are specifications to set it correctly:
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Lower tunings and lighter strings require less spring tension. Higher tunings and heavier strings require more spring tension.

Are you taking lessons? A good instructor can help you navigate the parts of your guitar, understand how things work and why. All of which can lead to better playing and enjoyment.

Getting your info piecemeal, one question at a time is going to hold you back. This a friendly forum and people are glad to help. But you may be hampered by not knowing what you don't know, thus not even knowing which questions to ask.

An instructor can cover lots of ground in just a very few introductory lessons...

Thanks but I'm not as novice as you might think, it's just the guitar I had been playing for years didn't come with an extra spring so I never even considered how many springs were on the trem

If the guitar stays nicely in tune with the 4 springs, leave the 5th in the bag. They do ship with an extra spring. If you`re going with strings heavier than .10`s, you might need the extra spring. My spring has never been taken out of the case.

I thought maybe it was just one piece in a build-it-yourself reverb tank. You just have to keep buying guitars until you get all the parts. :flute:

But the extra trem spring theory makes much more sense. :top:

I thought maybe it was just one piece in a build-it-yourself reverb tank. You just have to keep buying guitars until you get all the parts. :flute:
I like the way you think. "Collect all the guitars!"

Back