Speaker not working properly

22Top

perfectly cromulent
I posted this over at TGP, but haven't had any luck yet, so I'm asking here in case:

I've got a Celestion G10 Vintage in my Tex amp that's farting out when I play A-440 or any notes lower. If I turn the volume wayyyyyy down, it's not there. It begins a little louder than the point at which I'm not really hearing the guitar acoustically anymore, and gets worse as I turn the volume up.

Its definitely not rubbing at the voice coil. I already tried tube swaps.

With the speaker out of the cab, I put a slight amount of pressure on the speaker (while a loop was playing) and the farting disappeared.

Could my cone be coming unglued from the frame?
Is there more to this than lifting the foam, then the surround from the frame, and then regluing?

Thanks in advance!

If you have inspected the cone completely for tears then I'd say take the foam off and look for a separation as you suggest.

If you have inspected the cone completely for tears then I'd say take the foam off and look for a separation as you suggest.
Thanks for the tip.

Is there a specific type of glue I should be looking for?

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a specific type of glue I should be looking for?
Nope, maybe someone in here has experience with it. Has to be something that can withstand the vibration. A good audio guy should know. I'm not that guy! :confused:

Honestly it could be voice coil rub. You will not feel it sometimes moving the cone by hand and really should not do that anyway. It could be a loose surround, center cap, or spider.

To replace or re-glue the foam surround is easy - just use rubber cement. I've repaired 6 stereo loudspeakers doing this (actually replaced the foam rubber - it had essentially disintegrated, the speakers were well over 20 years old).

Check your foam surrounds for good integrity - no point regluing something that is going to fall apart anyway.

The easy bit is the first pass - attaching the foam surround to the speaker cone, because you can apply to both surfaces.

The trickiest bit is gluing the surround to the frame - getting the rubber cement on both surfaces fairly cleanly, letting it set a while, and then pressing the surfaces together. If you don't let it set the bond isn't as strong, and it is a bit awkward keeping the cone up/out away from the frame.

For just a partial repair usually it doesn't take much to get some glue in there, and the full bond isn't as much a requirement, because you are relying on the rest of the surround that still is attached.

To replace or re-glue the foam surround is easy - just use rubber cement. I've repaired 6 stereo loudspeakers doing this (actually replaced the foam rubber - it had essentially disintegrated, the speakers were well over 20 years old).

Check your foam surrounds for good integrity - no point regluing something that is going to fall apart anyway.

The easy bit is the first pass - attaching the foam surround to the speaker cone, because you can apply to both surfaces.

The trickiest bit is gluing the surround to the frame - getting the rubber cement on both surfaces fairly cleanly, letting it set a while, and then pressing the surfaces together. If you don't let it set the bond isn't as strong, and it is a bit awkward keeping the cone up/out away from the frame.

For just a partial repair usually it doesn't take much to get some glue in there, and the full bond isn't as much a requirement, because you are relying on the rest of the surround that still is attached.

Thanks for the tips... I'm going to try this later this week. I've got an old spare that has the same problem (i think) to a lesser degree in there.

Next step is a replacement. After a pedal sale.

I had posted this issue on TGP as well, and the Celestion rep there got in touch with me and is going to take care of this. This speaker was already a warrantee replacement from Celestion, but it was also covered by their 5 year guarantee. The only thing he asked was for me to compare the date/batch codes on all 3 speakers in case they could have a common component or manufacturing issue that they would want to take care of.

He shared some interesting information about their failure rate, which was considerably lower than I thought it would be.

I'm impressed by the customer service... puts me in mind of my favourite guitar company!

Thanks for the advice and recommendations here; I may still try some of these others out because this amp is staying with me for life.

I had posted this issue on TGP as well, and the Celestion rep there got in touch with me and is going to take care of this. This speaker was already a warrantee replacement from Celestion, but it was also covered by their 5 year guarantee. The only thing he asked was for me to compare the date/batch codes on all 3 speakers in case they could have a common component or manufacturing issue that they would want to take care of.

He shared some interesting information about their failure rate, which was considerably lower than I thought it would be.

I'm impressed by the customer service... puts me in mind of my favourite guitar company!

Thanks for the advice and recommendations here; I may still try some of these others out because this amp is staying with me for life.

That's cool! Glad to hear things are working out in your favor! Good Customer Service is a total loyalty builder!

Back