Sound Dying on 1st String with 12th Fret Bend

Joe_D_boss

I have a problem with a PRS SE Custom 24. Whenever I bend the high E string at the 12th fret, the sound cuts before I get the bend to 2 semitones up. I rubbed my pick across the fret and can feel an area of depression or a good amount of fret wear. What can be done about this? Could this fret alone be replaced? What is the usual fix for this? Someone advised me that I should raise the action slightly on this string to compensate, else I would have to re-fret the guitar. What do you folks recommend? Thanks a whole lot. It's great to be here.

A refret is like killing a fly with an ICBM. Just a little bit of an overkill! You likely just need the frets leveled and crowned. A luthier in your area can do it. Costs around $100. If you send us a picture we can give better advice.

Thanks, I will try to send pics later this afternoon. I don't think you will be able to notice the wear on the fret from the pic though.

It could be a lot of things. You may have a raised fret, the fret may need to be refiled/crowned/radiused; or it could be that everything is perfect and you need to adjust the string height. Since it's just one string, it's probably not a truss rod related issue. Like AP515 mentioned, we need some pictures to better determine what's going on.

I just bought a 2007 Hollowbody that had chewed up frets, and a complete refile/crown/polish was only $100.

Back