Sonzera 50W COMBO Tube Layout?

Kevin_F

Hi All,

First post but long time lurker...

Does anyone know the internal tube layout for the Sonzera 50W COMBO?

I'm considering some pre-amp tube rolling but I'm unsure of what tubes go where inside of the combo body.

I've seen in other posts that there was some discussion of what types of tubes should go into the V1, V2, V3 and V4 slots on the 50W HEAD and then where those slots are located when actually looking into the head opened up ---- but haven't seen anything specifically on the COMBO.

With the COMBO input jack on the opposite side of the front panel, compared to the head version, could the COMBO slot locations be different than the head version?

Also a little puzzled by the fact that there are two JJ ECC83S tubes installed --- my understanding is that the factory install calls for one JJ ECC83S in V1 and three Ruby 12AX7-HG in the remaining pre-amp slots.
I bought it new so I'd like to be able to figure this one out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

The combo is probably the same amp chassis, just oriented differently inside the amp. It makes manufacturing much cheaper to make more of the same thing, so heads and combos that share the same amplifier section are usually the same electronics, just flipped upside down, backwards, whatever the case may be. It appears that the Sonzera combo is the head upside down, so just flip the amp over, or visualize the tube chart right to left instead of left to right.

Seems like I saw a demo video where they (maybe Ewald???) said that the Sonzera head was turned upside down for the combo.

New to the forum, but. I recently bought a Sonzera combo, and have had nothing but problems with the amp. Volume level dropping in, and out, crackling. It was shipped with the tubes in place. Perhaps a bad power tube. I dunno. I'm in the process of replacing the tubes, and checking the bias. What a pain. I want to like this amp. Any suggestions? Thanks

CRobbins

If you're not new to tube amps, you know it's the wild card in any new amp. I've had more than one brand new amp with a tube failure within a few hours. I know it's a bummer but don't let that ruin a good experience. One of my buddies bought a high end brand amp that shipped with NOS ($$) tubes and 2 of them failed the first week he had it. No fun, but nothing you can do about it. Check the tubes first and if that fixes it, rock that thing!

Back