knob.jpg

f.jpg

holes.jpg

horn.jpg

back.jpg

bodyb.jpg

neck.jpg
Wow that's a nail bomb (pun intended) on this awesome top

I think that must make it vibrate 20% more. ;)

The kitchen Island in the pics above is a project I just finished. Sarah and her previous husband bought an old school tabletop from an antique dealer long ago. It had lots of loving misuse in the school where various little monsters had gouged it, drawn on it and carved their names into it. The back still sports a piece of petrified gum that I couldn't remove just because. They and their children and spouses and grandkids all wood burned their names into it. The top was supposed to be made into a kitchen island years ago.

But the previous husband never got to finish the project before he died. That took quite a lot of steam out of the project. After Sarah and I got married she told me about the project. By then there was a new grandchild ftom the youngest couple (and a new husband for Sarah). Also, Sarah's middle child and her husband had not finished burning in their names, they were only done in pencil.

So, this spring, I took the project on. I 'strongly encouraged' the procrastinating middle daughter to finish their burning. I added a burning for me and Sarah. The newest grandchild provided a birthday card for Sarah on which he was just learning to sign his name and had drawn a picture. I used that for a template for his burning. I added a burning for the family patriarch.

And I set about finishing with poly. About 8 coats in, I decided there was still something missing. I asked Sarah if it would be OK if I burned the words to "What A Wonderful World" into the edges as a frame. She loved the idea. That song is special. Just thinking about it makes me well up...

That burning took some effort. between sanding, burning, sanding and reburning, the words for the song alone took over 30 hours.

Then countless more coats of poly. Really, I lost track of how many coats it has, but it is over 20. And sanding between coats. The surface of the table was in already poor shape before everyone started burning on it. Holes, scratches, gouges, dents, wear, all the previous marking by students... This was to be used in the kitchen. I needed it to be cleansable. That meant all the divots had to be filled in, including the gouges left by the burning. The last thing I wanted was for the indentations to get filled with critter-friendly crud.

The top is still somewhat wavy, but at least it can be cleaned.

We ordered cabinet bases and I put the whole thing together in a couple of days. I still have a little electrical work to do. There is a ground fault outlet under the overhang end.

if.jpg

ib.jpg

es.jpg

tkh.jpg

sb.jpg

s.jpg

itr.jpg

bfo.itr

and George...

g.jpg

Last edited:
Great guitars, fantastic table...

And you're gonna peel the plastic pickguard condom off the Vela at some point, right?

Back