Some recommendations for the new site....

docbennett

Banned
Some initial impressions.....

1) would love a modification that allows a preview of the thread or the post when you hold the mouse over the title. Helps to decide whether to click and go to that thread.

2) User preferences...is there a way to add the number of posts before the page changes? On BaM I used 40 posts per page, and it made longer threads more manageable. Would recommend that option here, unless it already is.

3) The worst thing about Bam was the limit of 4 images per post. Is there a limit on this site? If so, how many images per post are allowed?

Maybe we can use this thread for others to chime in with their recommendations? Please understand...I am NOT criticizing and appreciate your efforts. Just suggesting some tweaks that would make the forum more user friendly for me.

On images, at the moment, there is no perceptible limit. So 10 pics and 20 smilies, go for it.

However I suspect that will change as more posts/threads/members appear. I would say that 8-10 total limit is better than the 4 or whatever you mentioned at a previous forum.

Also it seemed that some images were being cropped at the right, but looks like that has been fixed, so now we can bask in the full aura of all the posted imagery :)

I wish the display format could be changed. I'm used to avatars being on a certain pane etc . . . but this is like an American driver driving in Japan or Europe, shoot drivers on the right side . . . but its not a deal breaker for me.

I prefer thick and wide necks but fender vintage works too.

jed1952 said:
DISTORT6 said:
Mike Duncan said:
I seem to be too dumb to create a properly sized avatar...
Ditto. Not even close!

Same here. :oops:

For the avatar-impaired, the best thing to do is find/use an image application that has an 'export' feature, where you can constrain the size at export to a new smaller size (nothing over 100 pixels) AND has a JPG quality slider/control.

It may take a few tries of reducing the quality of the JPG until you get it down under the 24k limit.

Some programs let you type in the max kb directly, but the simpler ones usually just have this quality level/slider thing, and it's trial and error. Just look at the exported file each time in your Finder or Windows Folder with the filesize column showing, and you should be able to see immediately whether you were successful or have to do another export reducing the quality.

I got a case of Avatosis earlier and just bagged it for now, although I quickly fugured out in theory what had to be done.

I'd like to see two additional areas: one for technical music lesson / tips / ideas, and one for links to member's recordings.

I posted elsewhere before noticing here:

After posting, do we need the page telling us the post was successful? Can, after submission, it not just go back to the updated thread?

A modification/tech tip corner would be cool. I know alot of the guys (including myself of at prsforums) like a tinker and we share modification threads etc. Be nice to have it all in one place for both SE and US models maybe?

I upped the max avatar dimension to 120px by 120px and doubled the allowed file size limit. Hope that helps

Dan-d-1985 said:
A modification/tech tip corner would be cool. I know alot of the guys (including myself of at prsforums) like a tinker and we share modification threads etc. Be nice to have it all in one place for both SE and US models maybe?
+1
I'll second that.

JoarE said:
Dan-d-1985 said:
+1
I'll second that.
+1 more
Thirding it, or something....

I noticed that someone made a thread that was like roll-call for ::insert state here:: How about a section for PRS players by continent such as a section for US, Canada, UK, etc. And maybe subsection for US by state perhaps? Just a thought so there doesn't end up being fifty threads for people saying things like hey anyone from ::insert state here:: over a course of a few months.

Back