So yesterday... opened them up!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

nobody was home. My wife is a postmaster so I basically don’t have a wife the month leading up to Christmas. (Thank you Amazon and the entitled melenials! :rolleyes:)

So yesterday I had plenty of time to open up the master on the Custom 50 and the Archon. Now that I’ve vented, let me cut to the chase. I so often run the C50 clean channel literally with everything at noon or very close. The master has to go down as the gain goes up. I have played with Volume (gain) maxed and then master has to go down to 9:00 or so to get away with it at home. This is GREAT tone if you let it breath a little bit. At volumes I can’t get away with when my wife is home, it sounds truly great.

But yesterday, I figured I’d try the master wide open. OMG what a glorious thing that is. The Volume has to go way down, around 9:00, and it’s still “tickle your eardrums” loud. I’d love to hear it in a big room where I could stand back. The tone was maybe the best clean tone I’ve ever heard. Just BOUNCING that cab and just sounded awesome. For a few seconds, I turned the volume up to noon. Even better!!! But no way I could do that for long.

Going over to the gain channel: I’ve said this before, but once you turn the gain channel up loud, it’s a whole different amp. I can make this amp sound great at volumes I can get away with at home. Pretty loud, but not immediate domestic strife. But when you open it up just past that, the amp gets fat and beautiful. Cranking the master wide open allows some KILLER blues tones with the gain way down in the 9:00-10:00 range.

This post is already long, so short version. You all know how much I love the Archon tones, but turn it way up shows just how great it is. The clean channel is just incredible. So is the gain channel.

All testing yesterday was done with NF3 and C24 w/ 59/09s . I wish I had a gig or just a place where I could open these amps up like that. Just glorious tones!

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically you had fun playing by yourself.
I do get the different amp when you can wind it up a bit. My problem is sometimes I need to be playing three houses down the street when I do that.

Yep, and I did it again this morning, but this time with a single coil guitar.

And, if the Buckeyes don’t get their heads out of their a$$e$ soon, I’ll be back there again. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! I live in tract housing... now way way I could open up my Orange rocker without the neighbors complaining. Maybe for just a few minutes.... ;););)

As much as I love the amp, I've considered trying to trade it for a C20, but there seem to be very few heads out there, mostly combos

My wife tends to work on saturdays, so I get to do something similar...except I can pretty much play as loud as I want until personal injury is imminent. Playing in my living room, there’s a window that allows me to look out to the neighbors as they walk by. :D The game is, “what genre will make them look”. Clearly, it’s not loud enough at the street to make them stare, but it is loud enough to hear what I’m playing, and the current fav appears to be chugga-chugga stuff. o_O Clean, beautiful minor 7th chords with harmonic tremolo doesn’t seem to float their boat, but whip out the 72 Marshall and some power diads and that’s grin/leer-worthy. From that distance I can’t tell the difference in facial expression. And the thumbs-up might actually be gestures involving another finger, can’t be sure.

Rock on DTR! Keep the cabinets alive and breathing!

[QUOTE="Boogie, post: 354323, member: 729"Playing in my living room, there’s a window that allows me to look out to the neighbors as they walk by. :D [/QUOTE]

My old neighborhood was fairly spread out with one acre lots, but my son once told me that he could hear my playing as soon as he got off the school bus on the corner, several houses away.

That really surprised me! I had no idea I was that loud.

Didn’t stop me though. ;)

[QUOTE="Boogie, post: 354323, member: 729"Playing in my living room, there’s a window that allows me to look out to the neighbors as they walk by. :D

My old neighborhood was fairly spread out with one acre lots, but my son once told me that he could hear my playing as soon as he got off the school bus on the corner, several houses away.

That really surprised me! I had no idea I was that loud.

Didn’t stop me though. ;)[/QUOTE]
You were working and the neighbors understood that. And they figured it was better than if you always ripping wood in your garage.

My wife tends to work on saturdays, so I get to do something similar...except I can pretty much play as loud as I want until personal injury is imminent. Playing in my living room, there’s a window that allows me to look out to the neighbors as they walk by. :D The game is, “what genre will make them look”. Clearly, it’s not loud enough at the street to make them stare, but it is loud enough to hear what I’m playing, and the current fav appears to be chugga-chugga stuff. o_O Clean, beautiful minor 7th chords with harmonic tremolo doesn’t seem to float their boat, but whip out the 72 Marshall and some power diads and that’s grin/leer-worthy. From that distance I can’t tell the difference in facial expression. And the thumbs-up might actually be gestures involving another finger, can’t be sure.

Rock on DTR! Keep the cabinets alive and breathing!

That's funny. My neighbors have heard me for years. There used to be a couple teenage girls across the street and one day I was jamming when the wife wasn't home and I saw them very animatedly head banging. Obviously trying to be funny. They were totally embarrassed when I stopped and they looked at my window and I was giving them the thumbs up sign. :cool: (Late breaking thought: I should have played "Seventeen" by Winger for them! ;))

Had a new neighbor move in next door a couple years ago. I was working in the yard one day and he says "I can always tell when Amy is gone because I hear you playing guitar." Now, he's a couple years older than me, so my first instinct was "Oh, I'm sorry, I hope I didn't bother you." He says "no, I really enjoyed it. I think you must like a lot of the same music I do from the songs I heard." Then the crusher... "although I didn't hear you play many of them all the way through." DOH! Dagger LOL I said 'yeah, it's boring to play a whole sing with 3 verses etc when there is no singer or other parts, so I just brush up on the rhythm and solo and move on to the next one." He said "yeah, but you played them so well it was sort of like a juke box, but it kept skipping to the next song." LMAO!!!

Truth is, when I'm working on a hard part, I usually plug in the AmpliFire and turn it down. I don't want my wife hearing me actually "practicing" or learning a hard riff. Hearing multiple attempts to learn your way through a really hard solo, at high volume... nah. LOL I do the real ripping (what is ripping for me) at lower volumes so others aren't punished too much while I learn.

Back