So where are these "Dead Spots" I keep hearing about?

If:
- all or most guitars have deadspots
- and the position of the deadspot on the fretboard varies depending on wood type, densities, sum of the parts etc.
- except in PRSi, where people seem to have the most trouble around the12th fret (so many people that they have united to complain about it)

Does that mean PRS guitar manufacturing is so consistent that even the witchcraft of deadspots tend to be found in exactly the same spots?

I’ve bought and returned 3 Core Santanas due to dead spots on the G string between 13th to 15th fret. Even drove out to a store that had an additional two, they both also had it. It’s not a set up thing but the wood resonating out of phase with the fretted note. Pretty dissapointing that so many of that model had the problem. I really liked the smaller body style. ☹️

Just did a little experimenting. On my DC245 I Played all of my strings up and down near the 12th fret. Mine is exactly on the g string at the 15th fret. A touch on the 16th but the 15th is very noticeable.

My wife, who could care less, agreed. I’ll take a video if it sounds the same this weekend or tomorrow.

Edit: by no means do I give a sh@t enough to get rid of my beloved Ted McCarty hello kitty Uke though

Even though these things are a risk on all stringed instruments, I would be interesting to hear how Mr Reed Smith et al think about the problem, approach it now, and any non-confidential thoughts on what they might be looking at for the future. Should he be so inclined to blog about it (video would be brilliant)

Took a video. I feel like I captured what you guys were kind of talking about. I’m not sure it came across completely in the video. Sorry for the poor audio I don’t have a mic for my amp.

Definitely not enough of a big deal for me to get rid of my awesome ted dc 245

I will delete this video in time. I don’t really want it to be misinterpreted. I may take a better video one day and explain why I don’t give a **** about the “dead spot”.

Took a video. I feel like I captured what you guys were kind of talking about. I’m not sure it came across completely in the video. Sorry for the poor audio I don’t have a mic for my amp.

I will delete this video in time. I don’t really want it to be misinterpreted. I may take a better video one day and explain why I don’t give a **** about the “dead spot”.

Yeah, This is exactly what I hear too

That rapid decay - I hear that on my 24-fret six strings on the G# at the 13th fret on the G-string. I'm pretty sure it's a resonance thing - I seem to recall it happening at the 9th fret of the second string as well. I need to test that again. I'll try to do that today (and check my 7-string). I'll check my 24-fret Petrucci as well - don't think it did it.

Why I say I think it's a resonance issue is I've had the same experience with numerous guitars with the high E at the 12th fret first string (and other locations of the same note) - but only with one particular amplifier. Guitar doesn't matter, and the same guitar with a different amp doesn't have the problem.

Great video and thanks for sharing it
I hear string buzz basically the fret is muting the string ( I call if fretting out ) , part of the setup I do ( on my guitars ) is playing every note on the guitar to see if there are issues I am willing to bet a small truss rod adjustment would fix that IMHO
The reason it is more evident way up the neck is two fold
1) less string mass to vibrate
2) String breaking angle , if you draw a line between the fretted note and the bridge you will see how easy it is for the next fret to mute the string a bit that is where the relief and bridge height balance comes into play.

If you set the guitar flat and fret that note or notes and look to see the clearance to the next fret then pick the note if you look really close you will see it I hope your guitar sound 100% fixable to me !!!!!

One or twice on some other makers guitars I did have to redress a couple of frets that weren't level with the rest, Some folks also swear by having the Guitar Plek set up and of course PTC could also take care of you.

http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/

Just did a little experimenting. On my DC245 I Played all of my strings up and down near the 12th fret. Mine is exactly on the g string at the 15th fret. A touch on the 16th but the 15th is very noticeable.

My wife, who could care less, agreed. I’ll take a video if it sounds the same this weekend or tomorrow.

Edit: by no means do I give a sh@t enough to get rid of my beloved Ted McCarty hello kitty Uke though
It's the same place on my DC 245 too.

Great video and thanks for sharing it
I hear string buzz basically the fret is muting the string ( I call if fretting out ) , part of the setup I do ( on my guitars ) is playing every note on the guitar to see if there are issues I am willing to bet a small truss rod adjustment would fix that IMHO
The reason it is more evident way up the neck is two fold
1) less string mass to vibrate
2) String breaking angle , if you draw a line between the fretted note and the bridge you will see how easy it is for the next fret to mute the string a bit that is where the relief and bridge height balance comes into play.

If you set the guitar flat and fret that note or notes and look to see the clearance to the next fret then pick the note if you look really close you will see it I hope your guitar sound 100% fixable to me !!!!!

One or twice on some other makers guitars I did have to redress a couple of frets that weren't level with the rest, Some folks also swear by having the Guitar Plek set up and of course PTC could also take care of you.

http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/

It’s not fretting out. It’s worse at the 15th and it gets better up and down the neck on the G. There was no buzz, what you heard may be a function of me using a phone for the audio. I’ve read up on the dead spots since, and they are a normal function of wooden stringed instruments. Here is a publication on it from a luthiers’ journal.

Compared to one of my non-PRS guitars, those aren’t dead spots. Heck, I’d be happy if that guitar had notes that rang for that long at it’s dead spots.

no kidding. I tried the test with my partscaster and I couldn't hear enough sustain to distinguish anything useful.

None of my PRSi have dead spots that are noticeable in everyday use. There likely is one somewhere but it's probably in an area where I don't spend much time. I had a Telecaster that had one on the 11th fret G string that drove me nuts. So much so that I ended up getting rid of it even thought I loved everything else about the guitar.

I know I'm about six year late in responding to this thread but I read that a 10 top with no dead spots means that the top is near perfect symmetrical condition. It doesn't refer to the neck at all from the originator of this thread. A ten top will not have a curly maple imperfections according to PRS standards. Although necks can have dead spots, this thread started discussing a dead spot as it pertains to the 10 top. Thanks

I’ve never had a PRS with a dead spot. Never. Make sure the guitar is freshly setup properly. I would look at bridge saddles in conjunction with specific fretting issues and make sure they’re in good shape and behaving at all string angles.

I know I'm about six year late in responding to this thread but I read that a 10 top with no dead spots means that the top is near perfect symmetrical condition. It doesn't refer to the neck at all from the originator of this thread. A ten top will not have a curly maple imperfections according to PRS standards. Although necks can have dead spots, this thread started discussing a dead spot as it pertains to the 10 top. Thanks
I don't think you read the OP correctly. He was talking about the sonic dead spot not a maple one. I agree with you that there is a definition of a 10 top that does involve the consistency of the flame on a maple top and a dead spot there would preclude a top from being a 10, but in this case the OP was talking a bout the neck. At least that is how I read it.

;) I volunteer to get curly maple imperfections

Its nothing to do with the 10 designation, that's just visuals. Maple caps came from experiments with combination woods for tone

There was a good paper posted here last year about dead spots in general in guitars, its just maths due to the variance of the wood,density, something about resonant frequencies, and 24 fret guitars are more prone to it. I think I remember reading the larger prs heel joint helped prevent it across the board so to speak, like weights balancing a car wheel.

Back