Slippery Knobs (push pull)

What's your favorite coil tap layout?

• 5 way switch (barely counts as coil tap since you can't get a tapped neck PU alone)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 2 mini switches

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Push/Pull

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Rotary Switch

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Others (please describe)

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Xav22001

Hey all,

I found this previous thread on the topic but id didn't have many pictures of actual solutions to the slippery knob issue:
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/push-push-on-a-dgt.14040/page-2

Something about those fresh new knobs being quite stiff and slippery. I felt putting a rubber on it was the way to go. (UK residents enjoy the pun)

Here's my solution. Using the cheapest item in my household to have my 3k$ guitar working is somewhat ironic but whatever it works.

Let's see what other creative solutions you guys have come up with :)

PS: Creating a vote on our favorite coil tap layout in case the folks at PRS get inspired by what will hopefully be a massive majority voting for 2 mini switches so they can make that more readily available Custom 22/24 models :)

Last edited:
Hey all,

I found this previous thread on the topic but id didn't have many pictures of actual solutions to the slippery knob issue:
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/push-push-on-a-dgt.14040/page-2

Something about those fresh new knobs being quite stiff and slippery. I felt putting a rubber on it was the way to go. (UK residents enjoy the pun)

Here's my solution. Using the cheapest item in my household to have my 3k$ guitar working is somewhat ironic but whatever it works.

KaaA7wS2Tys4nKax5

https://goo.gl/photos/KaaA7wS2Tys4nKax5

Let's see what other creative solutions you guys have come up with :)

PS: Creating a vote on our favorite coil tap layout in case the folks at PRS get inspired by what will hopefully be a massive majority voting for 2 mini switches so they can make that more readily available Custom 22/24 models :)

Hey, whatever works for ya! I guess a more refined version would be to find an O ring that fits nice and tight.

I don't have any trouble with the lampshade knobs. The trick to operating the splits is to get a finger under the edge of the knob to pull or pry it up vs. trying to grip the top of the knob.

I cast two votes:
  • Two mini switches
  • Other - two push pulls. This works great for me on my four knob guitars

Love dual mini toggles!!! I use thumbnail under the push/pull knobs since it only takes a micro amount
of finger sweat to lose grip for them. Cylindrical speed knobs don't have this problem. PRS lamp shades
do.

Yeah... if they would have put something tacky on them or maybe micro roughed them they might be fine.

I went with Hipshot O-ring knobs and now i have no problems. The lampshades look great but they are not functional for me.

I voted mini-toggles. I had them on my Signature Ltd. They were awesome.

I also like the 5 way blade switch, even though it doesn't split the coils separately. It's simple and fast to operate.

I have an old Ibanez Roadstar II with push-push. Like that a lot. The best PRS solution is, for me, the pair of mini toggles.

Haha. Did you ever find a solution?
Short answer = yes.
Tried a half dozen different methods. For the time being I'm running a knurled barrel knob on my DGT and a glued-on O-ring on my Vela.
Push-push pots can be nice, but they can be fidgety too.
I've mentioned a few times before about my dismay that PRS, being such 'perfectionists', haven't addressed two simple and consistent complaints:
slippery lampshade knobs on push-pull pots and sharp corners on SE nuts.

Heck, even Epiphone started making LP-style bell knobs with tiny grippers molded into them a few years back... such a simple and effective solution...

If I don't go push-push, I've been thinking of giving plastic-dip a shot. Either spray on or just dip the tops of the knobs in the dip.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/plasti-dip?NCNI-5

Used the spray on my car and it's pretty durable and not permanent.
They have clear but heck, you can even change colors.. or might get color shifting! \m/

On my '97 CE, I just applied a strip of this on my 5-way selector and so far, so good. It's textured and see-thru. Amazon has two rolls for $6.00

On my '97 CE, I just applied a strip of this on my 5-way selector and so far, so good. It's textured and see-thru. Amazon has two rolls for $6.00

That looks awesome! I didn't know they existed. I'll give that a try if I can get my hands on them locally (in Hong Kong), it will probably be a bit more subtle than the elastic bands.

Back