Slick!

László

Too Many Notes
I'm a klutz. I trip on things.

When I mic up multiple amps in the studio with more than one mic stand, you can pretty much bet that I'll bang into one of the stands, trip on the boom, etc. The less stuff I have in front of the amps, the more easily I can get to the controls and the mics to adjust something for a take.

Cheap flimsy mic stands have been the bane of my existence in the studio for 25 or more years. Now I have found the solution. There's nothing like good hardware!

I've been using these Triad-Orbit stands with their conventional booms, and they're great because they're heavy, they don't tip over, the mic clips and shock mounts attach with a quick release mechanism, and they're built incredibly well. If ya gotta work in the studio, these are as good as things get for small stands (I use Latch Lake for the really big, heavy vocal mics).

Anyway, I decided to reduce clutter further by getting the two-arm boom that Triad-Orbit makes. The thing is just too slick. The arms are on ball sockets, and they pivot 360 degrees, at any angle, and they stay in place when you lock 'em down.

Check this out:

So simple, two amps, two mics, one stand! I have a matching one with a single boom for the third amp, too.

I'm a klutz. I trip on things.

When I mic up multiple amps in the studio with more than one mic stand, you can pretty much bet that I'll bang into one of the stands, trip on the boom, etc. The less stuff I have in front of the amps, the more easily I can get to the controls and the mics to adjust something for a take.

Cheap flimsy mic stands have been the bane of my existence in the studio for 25 or more years. Now I have found the solution. There's nothing like good hardware!

I've been using these Triad-Orbit stands with their conventional booms, and they're great because they're heavy, they don't tip over, the mic clips and shock mounts attach with a quick release mechanism, and they're built incredibly well. If ya gotta work in the studio, these are as good as things get for small stands (I use Latch Lake for the really big, heavy vocal mics).

Anyway, I decided to reduce clutter further by getting the two-arm boom that Triad-Orbit makes. The thing is just too slick. The arms are on ball sockets, and they pivot 360 degrees, at any angle, and they stay in place when you lock 'em down.

Check this out:

So simple, two amps, two mics, one stand! I have a matching one with a single boom for the third amp, too.
Sweet! Don't trip on the cords!

That's why I bought this...

Not for everybody for sure, but hanging it off the front of my combo, right on the grille face is easy and you can't trip over it no matter how hard you try.
Sennheiser e906. Gets great reviews. I just bought it for some new recording sessions.

FANCY.

While not as crafty as that contraption, I did opt for the better quality mic stands that were in the shop when I got mine. Glad I did, with how particular I'm finding mic placement to be.

That's why I bought this...

Not for everybody for sure, but hanging it off the front of my combo, right on the grille face is easy and you can't trip over it no matter how hard you try.
Sennheiser e906. Gets great reviews. I just bought it for some new recording sessions.

That's a good mic! I've used it. However...while it is indeed designed for live work so it can be draped across the grille of an amp, that isn't always the best way to record with it.

Remember, in a live setting you're hearing both the miked sound and the sound of the amp in the room.

For recording, get the most out of even that mic, it's best to use a mic stand in the studio. Even with the 57 and i5 in the picture I posted, you can see the mics a couple of inches off the grille, and angled toward the center of the cones for the particular sound I was going for (in this case, it was a punk rock tone). I use other placements for other styles, and different placements for different amps.

And of course, to get the sound of the amp to be more like what you hear in a room, the further back you place mics, the more room (and thus the more of what you hear in the room) you pick up. Naturally, you can use a separate room mic for that (I often blend one in), but for that you need a stand, too.

It's good to have a mic stand or two around if you're doing serious recording work. It's much, much more flexible.

It's good to have a mic stand or two around if you're doing serious recording work. It's much, much more flexible.
Oh... and I almost forgot...
When I drape the e906 over the top of my amp the mic is of course inverted. That means my guitar sound is upside down so I have to turn it right side up again in the DAW.
The VST I use for that is called "Senn 180", it's expensive but worth it. Seems best to use it post recording though to avoid any latency.:p

Oh... and I almost forgot...
When I drape the e906 over the top of my amp the mic is of course inverted. That means my guitar sound is upside down so I have to turn it right side up again in the DAW.
The VST I use for that is called "Senn 180", it's expensive but worth it. Seems best to use it post recording though to avoid any latency.:p
Duh, just stand on your head while listening and it will sound right side up again.:)

I cannot imagine the endless fun of recording all the different distances, angles ect. I bet you get some interesting and beautiful tones! I would have so much fun before I eeventually got taken over by the madness. The stands are nice! I bet they save much time and frustration, maybe even destruction. I had a bad mic stand slowly descend on me during a show. I had to slowly go most of the way down to yhe floor to keep singing and playing. One can never take the importance of ones gear for granted.

Doesn't that depend on whether or not your preamp is vertical-correct or invertical?

I usually just turn my speakers upside down -- not easy to do with towers, but easy enough with coaxials...

Back