Slayer Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
1000x1000.jpg

Looks like a nice read.

Reign_in_blood.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!

30 years old and STILL kicking ass.

Man, I remember the first time I heard Angel of Death riding with my buddy Rick Siu outta the high school parking lot in his car like it was yesterday. Needless to say, it changed my life.

Man, I remember the first time I heard Angel of Death riding with my buddy Rick Siu outta the high school parking lot in his car like it was yesterday. Needless to say, it changed my life.

Yup. Same here. Not with you and Rick, but with my friend Pat! :p
I remember still being devastated about the loss of Cliff Burton when Reign came out. At 17, losing a musician in your favorite band is pretty crushing. I had seen Metallica open for Ozzy just a few months before and that made a HUGE impact on me. His death just struck a nerve. That's where my head was at.
The day after Reign was released, my friend Pat hopped into my car and said "You've GOT to hear this...". He pulls out this cassette and I immediately asked what it was. At the time I wasn't that much of a Slayer fan - the whole Tom Araya singing-from-the-bottom-of-a-well vocals didn't do it for me. So when he said it was the new Slayer tape, I was pretty indifferent about hearing it. He popped the tape in and that was all she wrote.
Then it hit me...The RIFFS! The DRUMS! The SPEED! The AGGRESSION! Lassie saved Tom Araya from that damn vocal well! (Actually it was Rick Rubin...) HOLY CRAP! THIS IS AAAAWWWWEEESSSOOOMMMMEEEE!!!!
29 minutes later <silence> I sat there staring at the radio in my car. I turned to Pat and said "HOLY SH.." and right on cue, the tape flipped and it started all over again.
John Hughes could have used this scene in one of his 80's teen movies. :D

Well, once again, here's to 30 years of pure thrash perfection and the influence it has had on everything!

Last edited:
Today just so happens to be Seasons in the Abyss' birthday!
One helluva Slayer Sunday this week.

Slayer_-_Seasons_in_the_Abyss.jpg

Released October 9, 1990.

Damn! When this came out I listened to it, and practically nothing else for the whole year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back