Singlecut S2 Issues with TONE

worthweaver

Hi guys! I'm rather new here to this forum but have played PRS since the late 90s.

I own 3 late 90s Custom 22s, a pre law suit Singlecut, and recently acquired a new S2 Singlecut.

I replaced the Korean #7s with Bareknuckle Mules (their PAF clones), and I'm still having issues with guitar sounding thin and hollow with a lack of low mid girth and upper mid snarl. Essentially I'm getting more Tele/SG type tone as opposed to Les Paul.

Build quality, hardware, and electronics are all excellent. :D

Has anyone else experienced this with their S2? I got mine to potentially retire my Customs from tour, but I'm finding the S2 is really lacking tonally when compared to them.

Thanks!;)

-W

I am not sure this will help. But is it something a thicker body would correct. one of the reasons I have not gotten the s2 singlecut is because of what you describe. I can only defer it to body thickness. I maybe off and please anyone feel free to correct me. I have an SE single cut and it is thinker and heavier than the s2 sc and sounds better. Same for my sc mcarty burst. I have a sc trem and it is thinner, the I put 59/09 in it and it sounds awesome. It had #6 in it and they too sounded better. Not sure why the SC trem sounds better since it is thinner than the s2 sc, maybe it could just come down to the wood. Maybe the maple cap is the secret for it, not sure. But my all hog lp is a boat anchor and it has depth and a nice rich bass and mid range. Maybe the S2 sc needs more wood on it.

I am not sure this will help. But is it something a thicker body would correct. one of the reasons I have not gotten the s2 singlecut is because of what you describe. I can only defer it to body thickness. I maybe off and please anyone feel free to correct me. I have an SE single cut and it is thinker and heavier than the s2 sc and sounds better. Same for my sc mcarty burst. I have a sc trem and it is thinner, the I put 59/09 in it and it sounds awesome. It had #6 in it and they too sounded better. Not sure why the SC trem sounds better since it is thinner than the s2 sc, maybe it could just come down to the wood. Maybe the maple cap is the secret for it, not sure. But my all hog lp is a boat anchor and it has depth and a nice rich bass and mid range. Maybe the S2 sc needs more wood on it.

I think you might be on to something. Scale length as well (even though I love the snappy feel a Singlecut has).

Gonna swap PUs again and tweak the action a bit.

Fingers crossed:eek:

I'd aslo recommend new caps.

Also maybe turn down the mid on your amp. That should give a nice low end thump or scoop the mids all together.

Hi guys! I'm rather new here to this forum but have played PRS since the late 90s.

I own 3 late 90s Custom 22s, a pre law suit Singlecut, and recently acquired a new S2 Singlecut.

I replaced the Korean #7s with Bareknuckle Mules (their PAF clones), and I'm still having issues with guitar sounding thin and hollow with a lack of low mid girth and upper mid snarl. Essentially I'm getting more Tele/SG type tone as opposed to Les Paul.

Build quality, hardware, and electronics are all excellent. :D

Has anyone else experienced this with their S2? I got mine to potentially retire my Customs from tour, but I'm finding the S2 is really lacking tonally when compared to them.

Thanks!;)

-W

What pickups are in your Customs? I usually find that mids are the name of the game for the 90's PRS pickups, so it's no wonder you feel like something is lacking with a more vintage style PAF pickup set. Did you feel that same quality was missing with the #7 pickups? You may try a more modern humbucker like the Tremonti set. I recently had a Tremonti SE with the USA pups and the guitar just slayed. I haven't held an S2 in my hands, but they seem to be about the same thickness.

I've not tried the S2 singlecuts. But if snarl and balls is what you're after, get yourself an SE Akesson. Very thick body and an ebony board are a great combo. 57/08's in mine and it KILLS.

Been gone for awhile from the forum, but I still experience the same issues with different pickups. Gonna go with some Mojotone Hornet PUs and cross my fingers once more.

:D

Lately I've been playing with the pole piece screws on my pickups, and found a lot of good results matching them roughly to the radius of the strings. You may have already tried that, but if not, give it a shot. It doesn't actually change the tonality of the guitar, but improves the string to string volume balance in the middle strings and makes things sound more "even," rather than getting a lot of low E and high E string and less of everything else.

I have heard that the S2 singlecuts just have a more "thrashy" voice to them like what you described. Could be the bridge or tuners I suppose too. Maybe look into one of the John Mann fully adjustable PRS stoptails. Don't know if it would get you what you're after or not, but I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you about it.

If none of the PRS pickups do it for you try a set of SD hotrodded pups (JB and Jazz Models) I put a set in my Tremonti SE which was a tad on the light side tonally for me, it's a blinding guitar now and they coil tap/split as well;)

Lately I've been playing with the pole piece screws on my pickups, and found a lot of good results matching them roughly to the radius of the strings. You may have already tried that, but if not, give it a shot. It doesn't actually change the tonality of the guitar, but improves the string to string volume balance in the middle strings and makes things sound more "even," rather than getting a lot of low E and high E string and less of everything else.

I have heard that the S2 singlecuts just have a more "thrashy" voice to them like what you described. Could be the bridge or tuners I suppose too. Maybe look into one of the John Mann fully adjustable PRS stoptails. Don't know if it would get you what you're after or not, but I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you about it.

I don't have an S2, but I have installed the Mann 2300 stop tail on a Cu22, Studio and SE Bernie. All three have increased sustain and a "fuller" tone. It's subtle, but there's a difference.

Back