Silver Sky owners - two piece or three piece alder body??

greenlemon

Hi everyone,

i have just got a 2019 SS. I love it alot but just had a question.

Are Silver Sky three piece alder body? I can see two straight lines under bright light reflection over the finish, which probably means mines a three piece body.

Has anyone had a Silver Sky that is two piece body? I am just curious if they made any in two piece alder body.

Thanks you!

Is it are to find two piece alder for SS? I have only seen three piece on forums and no 22 piece alder

Has anyone had a Silver Sky that is two piece body? I am just curious if they made any in two piece alder body!

I never really looked at mine that close before tonight. It’s a red 2018 model, and you can see one line only going exactly down the center. Almost impossible to see on the top, but clearer on the back if you get the light just right. Apparently, they did make two piece bodies!

I never really looked at mine that close before tonight. It’s a red 2018 model, and you can see one line only going exactly down the center. Almost impossible to see on the top, but clearer on the back if you get the light just right. Apparently, they did make two piece bodies!

That must be a two piece body. Do you think it has some tonal difference?

Probably not, but Eric Johnson seem to agree with two piece. I had a Fender AM original 60s that was two pieces and seem to resonant in a pleasing way but not the same experience with Fender AV 59 strat which was three piece body. I am not sure if this is due to the number of pieces or just the wood in general.

That must be a two piece body. Do you think it has some tonal difference?

Probably not, but Eric Johnson seem to agree with two piece. I had a Fender AM original 60s that was two pieces and seem to resonant in a pleasing way but not the same experience with Fender AV 59 strat which was three piece body. I am not sure if this is due to the number of pieces or just the wood in general.
If it was for sale, I might say yes :D

Honestly, no, I doubt it makes any difference at all. If it did, JM and PRS would have spec’ed it one way or the other. They went to some pretty great lengths to make sure that one sounded like the next, so I think it would have been addressed if it mattered.

I used to have a Taylor with a three piece back, and noticed all of the other ones of that model I saw were two piece. I called Taylor to ask and they said some wood is too nice not to use but not big enough for two piece. That simple. It sounded just like the two piece ones.

I wouldn’t worry over it… Misters Mayer and Smith have already done that for you!

I’ve tried real hard but can’t find seams in either of mine. I’m sure they are there. Next time I change strings maybe I’ll pop the pick guard off and have a peek.

Like Rick said above, there’s really no difference. I’ve had many Strats over the years with 2 or 3 piece bodies and never noticed a difference. I think the only reason one would really want 2 (or 1) piece bodies is for transparent/sunburst finishes. Even then, alder is so boring grain wise you would have to look close to find seams.

If it was for sale, I might say yes :D

Honestly, no, I doubt it makes any difference at all. If it did, JM and PRS would have spec’ed it one way or the other. They went to some pretty great lengths to make sure that one sounded like the next, so I think it would have been addressed if it mattered.

I used to have a Taylor with a three piece back, and noticed all of the other ones of that model I saw were two piece. I called Taylor to ask and they said some wood is too nice not to use but not big enough for two piece. That simple. It sounded just like the two piece ones.

I wouldn’t worry over it… Misters Mayer and Smith have already done that for you!

My SS right now sounds beautiful unplugged which is a three piece. That's true, JM and PRS would have addressed it if they thought it affected, I think it is my mind playing with me :/

For some reason, my mind is stuck on believing two piece is better when my SS right now (three piece) sounds better than the EJ body i had (two piece)

My SS 2021 has a three pieces body. Clearly visible through the nitro paint.

Back