Show your pedalboard!

Our drummer still wants to make me one, which is fine. I was thinking about picking up a Pelican 1600 case and building a board to fit it. That would give me several extra inches on each side and everything will be peachy, hopefully.
So, moving forward with this. I have been watching the Pelican 1600 cases on ebay and just scored one in like new condition for less than $100. I also went to a store called Industrial Metal Supply and picked out various aluminum parts, got a quote from them for everything and it should be around $50-60 for raw materials to build a two shelf aluminum board to fit in the case. Our drummer will do the welding. So, a custom designed pedalboard in a crush-proof, watertight case for around $160 total! Not bad.

_121.jpg

I built a pedal board. It fits in a briefcase, but one of my pedals is too tall, so I have to remove it before packing it up. Now I just have to fill it the rest of the way up.

Forgive the double post, please, but I figured I'd also post this pic here (there's a thread about these recent changes in the amps section).

Fulltone Catalyst >> Fulldrive 3 >> Road Rage True Bypass Switcher >> Loop 1 >> TU3 >> Xotic SP Compressor, Loop 2 >> Eventide ModFactor >> Eventide TimeFactor >> HXDA (not shown).

I am really digging the combination of tones available, here's a pic:

Last edited:
What is the surface of the board where you attach the pedals made out of? Also, how are the pedals attached?

My pedalboard project has been dead in the water. I might just build one out of wood rather than spend $75 on metal parts and then bug my friend to finish it up. However, all my free time has gone into making our new album - not a bad thing. When you're making a record at your house and you're the lead engineer and co-producer and lead vocalist and lead guitarist, there's no downtime while other people are doing their thing.

What is the surface of the board where you attach the pedals made out of? Also, how are the pedals attached?

The surface is formica that I glued to birch ply and then rolled out so it adhered firmly with no bubbling or lifting. The edging is maple. I made it years ago.

The pedals aren't attached. They simply sit on the board with their stock rubber feet.

Since I only use the pedals in the studio, I don't need to attach them, and this way I can change the layout frequently for my projects without worrying about velcro, etc. And they don't slide around, so there isn't a problem given my needs.

A simple tray that lets me keep everything connected and ready to use, that I can just lift up and move to a shelf or cabinet when I need to get it off the floor, is enough for use in my studio. The plywood is heavy enough that it doesn't bend when I press down on a pedal, and the board has rubber feet on the four corners and in the middle.

If I needed to transport a pedalboard regularly, I'd probably just go with a Pedaltrain with case or something similar.

Currently, on those rare occasions when I need to travel to another studio to work, I simply put the pedals I need in a PRS accessory bag that I've had for years, with the cables, and set them up for the session.

Last edited:
Nice board Les! What does the Catalyst sound like? I never understood what it and the GT500 exactly do. I've tried every other Fulltone dirt but those two.

I'm a big fan of the Fulltone stuff too. Right now I've got a FatBoost 2 on there (which surprisingly is the most disliked version of the 3 versions). It with another OD in front of it like my XTS Imperial and it just sings.

Last edited:
I'm working on a Grissom style board during 2014. This might happen dinner rather than later. More to come.

Nice board Les! What does the Catalyst sound like? I never understood what it and the GT500 exactly do. I've tried every other Fulltone dirt but those two.

I'm a big fan of the Fulltone stuff too. Right now I've got a FatBoost 2 on there (which surprisingly is the most disliked version of the 3 versions). It with another OD in front of it like my XTS Imperial and it just sings.

Thanks prsrocker!

The Catalyst is probably the most unusual sounding Fulltone pedal, and the least understood. It's not an OD, it's more of a fuzz, that can also be set to a low gain setting to serve as sort of an EQ and boost pedal. You know how when you roll down the volume control on your guitar with a good fuzz, you get a very crisp and unusual kind of clean tone? Well, the "spark" setting does that in a good way. The "flame" setting goes from distortion to fuzz.

I use it mostly on "spark" with the gain around 2 o'clock for when I want an edgy, almost glassy-crunchy-square-wavey kind of breakup with the guitar volume low, but it's also a pretty nice fuzz that works well with other pedals. I also like running it distorted-but-ratty to get garagey tones, and as a fuzz.

I like Fulltone stuff a lot, too, and have had most of Mike's pedals, but I haven't had the GT500. I don't understand the criticism of the FB2, I had one and thought it was great. I only sold it because for a while when I first got into Two-Rocks, I went through this "I'm only gonna play the guitar through the cable to the amp" thing, and sold off my pedals.

That lasted for about two weeks. LOL

I'm still big on the Fulltone wahs (not on my board at the moment), and love the tremolo and Plimsoul, plus the 69 is my favorite fuzz ever and sounds great with the HXDA. But I like to switch things up from time to time, too.

Last edited:

I've got a GT-500, and love the boost side. I just can't get to a point where I like the distortion side. It's extremely noisy, and is crazy loud. I've tried it with 9v and 18v adapters and it just has too much output. Did I mention it's noisy? Check out the Jetter Jet Drive for a 2-in-1 pedal for two different flavors of drive, or a boost and a drive. Like the GT-500, you can run one or the other or both. It's an amazing pedal, and is very touch sensitive.

Here is my main pedal board that runs to a Mesa Mark V, and Mesa Vertical 2x12 Cab with Zakk Wylde EV's.

Here is my acoustic pedal board that i run to a Genz Benz Shenandoah, I want to eventually add a decimator to this one also.

Here's my latest iteration, the same as before, except a slightly different pedal order, and swapped out the TU-3 for the Peterson tuner.

Nice! I've been curious about that Mesa pedal. What do you think of it?

It's really nice! I was not expecting to like it much but I've been hearing rave reviews about it and I saw Keith Urban live a few months ago and he uses one for most of his solos now according to his tech, so while on vacation a couple weeks ago I stopped into a Mesa dealer and tried it out through a Twin Reverb RI, since I play Blackface amps and wanted something similar. I LOVED it. It's "stack" sounding in the sense that it is very fat, thick, sounds like a 412 cab but it's not an amp-in-a-box - it's more of a good leads pedal with a lot of thick sustain. I really love it for thick solos. And on the neck pickup it's very Santana-like and smooth as can be. Which getting that in a pedal for a bright Blackface Super or Twin (I use both) is hard to do without screwing up the bass and/or treble. The independent bass and treble is something I love. And it stacks well with other low-ish gain overdrives.

Last edited:
Here's my latest iteration, the same as before, except a slightly different pedal order, and swapped out the TU-3 for the Peterson tuner.

Nice! I've been curious about the FD3. I saw on TGP just today where Mike is now doing an all black FD3 supposedly non limited edition and with compcut... Still the same other features. Might have to try that out. With a Blackface Fender I'll use the Vintage mode, with a Tweed or a Marshall I like CompCut or "FM".

It's really nice! I was not expecting to like it much but I've been hearing rave reviews about it and I saw Keith Urban live a few months ago and he uses one for most of his solos now according to his tech, so while on vacation a couple weeks ago I stopped into a Mesa dealer and tried it out through a Twin Reverb RI, since I play Blackface amps and wanted something similar. I LOVED it. It's "stack" sounding in the sense that it is very fat, thick, sounds like a 412 cab but it's not an amp-in-a-box - it's more of a good leads pedal with a lot of thick sustain. I really love it for thick solos. And on the neck pickup it's very Santana-like and smooth as can be. Which getting that in a pedal for a bright Blackface Super or Twin (I use both) is hard to do without screwing up the bass and/or treble. The independent bass and treble is something I love. And it stacks well with other low-ish gain overdrives.

Cool. Something I need to try out.

Nice! I've been curious about the FD3. I saw on TGP just today where Mike is now doing an all black FD3 supposedly non limited edition and with compcut... Still the same other features. Might have to try that out. With a Blackface Fender I'll use the Vintage mode, with a Tweed or a Marshall I like CompCut or "FM".

What I love about the FD3 more than anything else is the separate boost. It's a clean boost, but it has a germanium transistor limiter circuit that you can optionally dial in. It sounds really, really good.

And now I have to check out the other FD3. It never ends! LOL

Back