Show Your EG...

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by ooglybong, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ooglybong

ooglybong New Member

[​IMG]In light of all the recent interest in the "Sweet Little EG-3 (Incoming)" thread, I've been encouraged to start a new thread for these great guitars and post photos of my own EG. Here goes.

Back-story: Bought back in 1999 at a local guitar show, and believe it or not, on my way out out of the house, my wife grinned and asked me "OK... what are you looking for?" (My wife is way too supportive of me and guitars!) My answer was: "Really nothing... just looking..." (I meant it, but still, lol.) "But if you DID see something, what would it be?" Well, I thought for a second and said that I'd just love another chance to find one of those nice EG-3s I'd sampled back in '93. (By 1999, they were pretty rare to see around here, IME.) And so, off I went.

Well, I walked in the door at the show (it was a huge room) and there was the following guitar, mint, parked not 50 ft from the entrance! Played it for a good while, and it both played and sounded fantastic. (Like, wow!) Now, cue the Outer Limits theme twice when I tell you there was also a second identical white one parked only 100 ft more down the line! Of course, at that point, I played them both, and one was clearly a winner (the other, er, not so much). So what else could I do? I came home that day with this little beauty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are pretty close to color, and the pearloid pickguard was already a warmer tone than the body back in 1999. It hasn't noticeably changed since that point, either.

There's also an odd discrepancy in the serial number with mine, too; the first digit seems to indicate a 1993 build, but the last four digits indicate more towards the end of 1994. Huh.

#1 ooglybong, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

Gorgeous axe, ooglybong! My '90 isn't nearly as posh, but I'll try to finally get around to taking some glamour shots this weekend. About time to change the strings anyway, might just pull the pickguard and trem cover off and look for Easter eggs while I'm at it!

ooglybong likes this.
  3. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Der Hans der kann's

Kick ass.

ooglybong likes this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

what he said! Totally dig these! Maybe one day........

ooglybong likes this.
  5. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

Bangin'!

ooglybong likes this.
  6. jbloggs

jbloggs New Member

Here's mine - 1993 EG2 (I think) - bought on consignment late 1994 - as new) has the wide-fat neck. ( Nope, its an EG 1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 jbloggs, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    grausch, Basauri, dogrocketp and 5 others like this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Love 'em! Why didn't I pay attention more to PRS in the early '90s??!! (Oh, yeah...babies:rolleyes:)

8. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Same story for me - wife, "real" job, baby etc...............
    Love these guitars and until Hans posted his guitar this last week, I had no idea they existed.

9. Iceman101

Iceman101 There's always room for one more.....

This one has been my main gigging guitar for quite some years.Never understood why they where considered "no real PRS".
    And for Sergio's pleasure no windings on the wings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cubby61, grausch, Basauri and 5 others like this.
  10. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Great looking guitar - Did you change out the pick ups?

11. Iceman101

No they're stock. Hfs, VB and a Duncan or Fralin singlecoil (maybe Shawn knows what was used a the time)

12. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Interesting - the pick ups on the white guitar at the top of this thread look quite different

13. Iceman101

There where 3 models available. One with the HSH like mine, one with the 3 Fralin Domino singlecoils like Hans' en Ooglybongs and one with a humbucker in the bridge and 2 Fralin Domino's.

ooglybong likes this.
  14. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Der Hans der kann's

There were three single (non-Domino) models as well.

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

And the lowly SE version

16. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

These are really nice. I remember bein surprised when they came out that they didn't really catch on. They were long gone by the time I had made enough mortgage payments to think of buying one.
    But I am pretty happy with the SAS that came my way in 1999.

ooglybong likes this.
  17. ooglybong

ooglybong New Member

Fun history. Maybe some here might even remember from back in the day; this page came from the December, 1993 issue of Guitar World.

[​IMG]

Somehow, I'd kept this torn-out page in a file folder since '93, but it's been residing inside my EG-3's case compartment ever since I got it in '99.

#17 ooglybong, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  18. jbloggs

jbloggs New Member

From https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

EG BOLT-ON SERIES I: 1990 – 1991. New squarer shape. Alder body, maple neck, 22-fret rosewood fretboard. EG3 s/s/s and EG4 s/s/h, scratchplate mounted pickups. Volume, twin tones, 5-way selector, PRS tremolo, Schaller non-locking tuners.

EG BOLT-ON SERIES II: 1992 - 1995. Rounder shape. Alder body, wide thin maple neck, 22-fret rosewood fretboard. Scratchplate mounted pickups in three formats, h/s/h, s/s/h, s/s/s, volume, tone, 5-way selector, coil taps, PRS tremolo, locking machines. EG bolt-on maple top adds three piece maple, ‘10’ option.

so mine Is an EG series II EG II

Still trying to find my copy of an o9ld guitar mag that has reviews of the Series II's

If I find it I'll scan it and post accordingly.

Think that it was a UK mag.

ooglybong likes this.
  19. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

IIRC the bodies were carved by Excel, the same folks who make the PRS trem now.

dogrocketp likes this.
  20. Iceman101

That I didn't know. Thanx. The sales rep ( eg distributor) over here told me they were to expensive to make. Therefore they supposedly couldn't be offered at a compettitive pricepoint . That was one major reason the line was dropped..